PDA

View Full Version : Brisket: real-time input requested

Schmoke
06-11-2017, 08:12 AM
Hiya, dropped way too much caysh @ Restaurant Depot yesterday. Included was a 13-lb prime brisket.

This morning I removed just a few ounces of fat, coated with Black Ops rub, placed in a 290 degree BGE equivalent a little over two hours ago (7:02A, Eastern).

Probe says the thin part (flat) is already 140. That was fast.

When the flat reaches 150 or so, I'm considering slicing it off (about 1/3 of the flat), wrapping the cut piece in foil, and continuing the cook in a 240 or so oven till tender.

Leaving the bigger hunk o'brisket in the egg.

Any of yinz have heartburn with that?

SmokinBub
06-11-2017, 09:21 AM
You sure it's 290 at the grates? Might try lowering to 275.

Also you're going to hit the stall soon. That should lengthen your cook.

I would not cut the meat.

If it were me, I'd lower temp a bit and let it ride. Wrap it once its out of the stall.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Ron_L
06-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Ignore the point. Worry about cooking it until the flat is tender. If you want to separate and wrap, do it when the bark is the color that you want. Then, separate or not and wrap. Once wrapped, cook the flat until it is probe tender. The point is tougher to gauge since it will be probe tender but may still be a little tough.

Schmoke
06-11-2017, 12:49 PM
I may not have explained well what I wanted to do. Well, I already did it, anyway.

I cut off a hunk of flat, 2-3 lbs. The flat underneath the point, and then some, is undisturbed.

I now have the thickest part of the brisket still in the egg, still 290.

I wrapped the thin part of the flat, it's now in a 260 degree oven til further notice.

>> You sure it's 290 at the grates?

Aah, good point. It's 290 near the top of the dome, where the built-in thermometer is. Though I haven't measured today, temp at the grate is usually 260-something.

With the lower air intake completely shut, and the top vent open just a half inch or so, 290 is the lowest I can get in that egg. I used to get in the low 200s, I wonder if I need a new gasket. I never see smoke exiting the seam, however.

pjtexas1
06-11-2017, 01:50 PM
I don't see an issue cutting the thin part of the flat off. I usually cut it off before I throw it on the cooker. It tends to crisp up if I leave it on.

Schmoke
06-11-2017, 03:10 PM
The flat that I cut and wrapped: I waited til the magical 204 degrees. Sampled about a half hour ago. *Wow*. Almost butter.

The main hunk is still in the egg, hunk is up to 170 now. Was stuck at 165-6 for I think two hours.

jasonjax
06-11-2017, 03:31 PM
I typically pull the brisket when the flat is done (whole thing is foiled at this point), separate the point and flat, wrap flat back up and put it in cambro/cooler, if I'm making burnt ends I will slice them at this point (no pun intended) and put them back on the smoker. If I'm going to just serve fatty slices or keep it for shepherds pie etc. I just leave it on to render more fat until I'm happy with the texture. Jiggly!

SmokinBub
06-11-2017, 03:38 PM
The flat that I cut and wrapped: I waited til the magical 204 degrees. Sampled about a half hour ago. *Wow*. Almost butter.

The main hunk is still in the egg, hunk is up to 170 now. Was stuck at 165-6 for I think two hours.
Good to hear! Let us know how the rest turns out.

Schmoke
06-11-2017, 04:51 PM
At 5PM, temp was 175. Not fast enough, guests over in 90 mins.

Wrapped, into a 260 oven.

45 minutes later, 190. Much better.

Schmoke
06-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Guests arrived, brisket removed from oven five minutes later, 203 degrees and wonderfully tender. Was a hit, everybody loved the texture.

My experiment worked. Of course, last brisket I did, I didn't remove a hunk of flat, and that brisket turned out great as well.

Finally, hijacking my own thread: I have concluded after years of bbq'ing, that brisket is not very good tasting. The rub may be great, a properly prepared brisket has a great mouthfeel ... but the meat flavor? A bit pot-roasty, I think.

I'm wondering now if the popularity of brisket is based on the relative difficulty of cooking it right.

J

ice_mf_mike
06-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Guests arrived, brisket removed from oven five minutes later, 203 degrees and wonderfully tender. Was a hit, everybody loved the texture.

My experiment worked. Of course, last brisket I did, I didn't remove a hunk of flat, and that brisket turned out great as well.

Finally, hijacking my own thread: I have concluded after years of bbq'ing, that brisket is not very good tasting. The rub may be great, a properly prepared brisket has a great mouthfeel ... but the meat flavor? A bit pot-roasty, I think.

I'm wondering now if the popularity of brisket is based on the relative difficulty of cooking it right.

J

I actually said this to my wife recently. I tried and smoked tri-tip for my first time and it was the most delicious thing i had smoked to date. I told her from now on for big cooks im doing tri-tip instead since its so much easier and i dont have to start it at like 3am and worry about not finishing it. I think brisket is good as well and i still wish to master it. but i think you are right. Its popularity is more to show you can tame that beast that is a brisket i think!

dgaddis1
06-12-2017, 02:25 PM
... but the meat flavor? A bit pot-roasty, I think.

I feel the same way about both brisket and beef ribs. Fun to cook, but I've really gotta be in the mood for it. I'll take pork ribs over beef 9 times out of 10.

DaveAlvarado
06-12-2017, 02:46 PM
No surprise it tastes pot-roasty to you, many pot roasts are beef chucks which is right by the brisket.

THoey1963
06-12-2017, 05:35 PM
I have read that a lot of the pot roast taste also comes from steaming it in the wrap. I no longer wrap my briskets. There is a document in my signature on how I do briskets. Most of that info I learned here, the rest from trial and error.

MountainMan
06-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Cook it like a pot roast and it will taste like one :-)

pjtexas1
06-12-2017, 07:14 PM
That little piece of flat is what I call the cook's treat. If it's good it's all good. If it's bad you have time to order pizza.

Ranchertex
06-12-2017, 08:31 PM
Brisket cooked right will only make you think about more. If it is like pot roast, you need to work
On your BBQ skills.