PDA

View Full Version : Does this brisket look right to you?

ADTN
06-10-2017, 04:58 PM
I am very new to using a smoker. I cooked a brisket a few weeks ago that turned out great. I smoked my second brisket this week and when we cut into it there was a a large dark spot most of the way through. The photos I have seen of fat pockets are usually lighter or the same color as the meat, but this area was very dark compared to the rest of the brisket. I tried to find some other examples on the internet, but I didn't have any luck. What are your thoughts? I have attached two photos.

WareZdaBeef
06-10-2017, 05:14 PM
did you inject it with anything? Also, it doesnt look done to me, the connective tissue should be way more broken down, and i see some pink but not sure if thats part of a smoke ring or not.

Seefyre
06-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Very odd camera angle. Take a pic of a full slice so folks can see what they're looking at

Westx
06-10-2017, 05:23 PM
That dark spot looks like a hemitoma. I bought a choice brisket at Kroger a couple weeks ago that had one on the point so I cut it off. Yours looks to be on the inside so could have been caused by a number of things. Not much you can do if you can't see it

ADTN
06-10-2017, 05:49 PM
I did not inject it. I used a grilleye to check the temp and smoked it until it hit 165 then I wrapped and smoked it until it hit 200. The probe slid in "like a knife through butter" as they say when I checked it before taking it off the smoker. We actually ate some slices off of both ends. It wasn't until my wife cut into it the next day that we discovered this dark area. I'll see if I can get a better pic.

mtime7
06-10-2017, 06:12 PM
just a shot in the dark, bruising, maybe cow got kicked on the way to the slaughter. Also, that brisket looks under done to me

ADTN
06-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Here a couple of additional photos. It's possible it's under-cooked (see earlier post), but the end of the flat looked great smoke ring and all. The end of the flat was cooked farthest away from the fire. My wife pointed that is brisket had a lot more fat than the last brisket and it was smoked fat side up.