PDA

View Full Version : Smoke thermometer, anyone with problems?

70monte
06-10-2017, 03:53 PM
I'm using my Smoke thermometer to monitor my Pork Butt that's cooking and it continually loses signal from about 100 ft from the transmitter. The signal is going through the side of a metal carport and then the side of the house

Thermoworks replaced my receiver about a month ago because of this and the new one seems to be no better. I also have a Maverick 732 that is used in the same location and it hardly ever loses signal. I'm pretty disappointed in it's range and that things between the transmitter and receiver seem to really degrade the signal.

Anyone else have these type of problems? I'm going to have to call Thermoworks again and see what they say.

Wayne

wbzipf
06-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Replace your battery and see if that helps. The batteries were probably installed a while before you purchased it.

I did have one problem with my Smoke, but it had to do with temporary inaccuracies.

70monte
06-10-2017, 04:38 PM
I just replaced them in the receiver and will do so in the transmitter and see if that helps. Thanks.

Wayne

Norm
06-10-2017, 04:42 PM
The metal barrier is your problem. Their signal is not as strong as the Maverick

70monte
06-10-2017, 04:48 PM
The metal barrier is your problem. Their signal is not as strong as the Maverick

Thanks, I guess that is it. I just replaced the batteries in the transmitter and the receiver has lost signal again. I guess I'm going to have to go back to using the Maverick as the Smoke is pretty much useless in my situation. I hate that because the Smoke is way easier to set up than the Maverick.

Wayne

SirPorkaLot
06-11-2017, 09:22 AM
I don't have a metal carport, but my Smoke gets far better range than any of my Mavericks did, plus it reconnects much quicker and easier when it does disconnect

SirPorkaLot
06-11-2017, 09:23 AM

I have not found that to be the case in my experience.
I have had 4 different models of Mavericks over the years and the Smoke has better range than any of them.

robert-r
06-11-2017, 10:47 AM
You might try using very fine steel wool & gently clean the probes where they insert into the transmitter.

For some reason, that solved a similar problem with my Maverick rotisserie thermometer.

cheez59
06-11-2017, 11:25 AM
I have used my Smoke extensively for over 6 months. It still has the original batteries in it and has never lost signal. I have had the receiver close to 100 feet away and the signal is going through three house walls. The walls are vinyl siding, wood and sheetrock.

My Mavericks work just as well but they eat batteries to the tune of a set about every three cooks. Plus the fact that the Mav's are a major pita to set.

I love my Smoke.

Smoker34
06-11-2017, 11:53 AM
I have three Maverick 732's as well as the Thermoworks Smoke. The Smoke seems to be a more solid build, but the range is definitely not as good as the Mavericks. I lose a signal from the Smoke in places in my house where the Mavericks work fine.

SmokerKing
06-11-2017, 12:07 PM
I want a Smoke and like the Thermowroks products. Sounds like they need to get the range and signal issue figured out before I buy one.

el_matt
06-11-2017, 12:21 PM
I haven't had a single problem with my Smoke. My Thermopop acted weird, shortly after I got it. Removed and replaced the battery, been fine since.

Matt

TonyT
06-11-2017, 12:38 PM
This bums be out. I've used 3 different maverick 732s over the years and all of them give me poor range, cuts out around 15ft through only one wall/window. Was hoping the smoke would be better, but doesn't like it.

airedale
06-11-2017, 02:20 PM
... a metal carport ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage