PDA

View Full Version : Pizza on my pellet cooker?

Mo-Dave
06-09-2017, 12:22 PM
I am thinking of picking up some frozen pizza, probably some Jacks. I have a stone, is there any things I should be concerned with, excpet not to expect anything close to a real pizza from a pizzeria? If this pans out I may try making from scratch, or maybe pick up some dough from like a pizza hut, and build on that. I think the pellet cooker can get hot enough for pizza, it will almost reach 500 degrees, but don't think I will need it that hot. I know some of you pizza hounds will say why not make your own? I would except I don't keep all that stuff on hand nore am I really good at baked goods or pastrys, also don't want to go spend 40.00 for ingredients that may or may not work for me.
Dave

tom b
06-09-2017, 12:48 PM
I have done it, it works but not as good as other pizza cookers I have. My pellet grill won't get much above 400 I let the stone go in there for a good long time before adding the pie. I'd just follow the cooking instructions on the box.

Yendor
06-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Skip the stone, I don't use one when I cook a pizza in my oven why would I use one in my pellet pooper. As far as that is concerned if you are going frozen follow the oven temp guide. 425° is all you need. Its a convection oven, use it like one and you won't be disappointed.

Edit: I forgot to add, if you plan on doing your own dough and such I suggest you make the dough and par-bake it on the pellet grill. Then flip add toppings and then finish it off.

Bill-Chicago
06-09-2017, 01:26 PM
I think you are over estimating the costs substantially.

Frozen pizza dough ball from Meijer: $1.00
Pastorelli can or Ragu Pizza Sauce: $1.50
12oz Kraft Shredded Mozzarella: $3.00

That's $5.50 for a test of cheese, nothing fancy but good enough to gauge whether you want to start making your own dough, sauce, better cheese, etc.

I also will take a cooked sausage, bratwurst, Italian, whatever, and slice it into "coins". Add giardinar or peppers if you have them.

I roll mine out onto simple parchment paper for transferring to the stone. Remove parchment after it sets, about 3 minutes.

Preheat the stone for 15-20 minutes or throw in there when turning on your smoker and bring it up to temp at same time

mattmountz94
06-09-2017, 01:34 PM
What pooper do you have

Moose
06-09-2017, 02:04 PM
I have done it, it works but not as good as other pizza cookers I have. My pellet grill won't get much above 400 I let the stone go in there for a good long time before adding the pie. I'd just follow the cooking instructions on the box.

Well said, Tom. When you cook a pizza on a stone that's above 500 degrees, it changes the character of the bottom crust in a good way. I can't recommend the Blackstone pizza oven highly enough, but if that's not a possibility, the absolute next best thing is to cook it on a high quality stone in your oven. With good dough and ingredients, it will be easily as good as a local pizzeria.

Jrogers84
06-09-2017, 02:07 PM

That's $5.50 for a test of cheese, nothing fancy but good enough to gauge whether you want to start making your own dough, sauce, better cheese, etc.

I also will take a cooked sausage, bratwurst, Italian, whatever, and slice it into "coins". Add giardinar or peppers if you have them.

I roll mine out onto simple parchment paper for transferring to the stone. Remove parchment after it sets, about 3 minutes.

Preheat the stone for 15-20 minutes or throw in there when turning on your smoker and bring it up to temp at same time

The meijer dough isnt bad for a buck. You can also hit a lot of bakeries and they sell dough balls for close to the same

jasonjax
06-09-2017, 02:08 PM
I've got a Cookshack PG-500, and it works fine for pizza, but no where near as good as my old Bubba Keg .... cooking pizza at 800+ degrees is awesome.

northof8
06-09-2017, 02:49 PM
I make mine in the oven at 500 and sometime do two, so on the second the stone is colder so I think you will be fine. The crust isn't as good as the first one but still good. I let the stone go for 30 minutes while getting it put together and on the second just long enough to get the next one ready. I don't do the whole toss thing and make it nice and round, just get it to size so I can get it on the back side of a baking pan to slide on the stone. I like cornmeal on the pan as it helps it slide but also adds to the crust flavor.

This is for making from scratch, throw a frozen one on at that temp and not sure what you would get, probably a burnt crust waiting for the inside to get hot.

Mo-Dave
06-10-2017, 10:45 AM
What pooper do you have

I have a Camp Chief Smoke Pro DLX, have had it almost a year, can't compare it to any other pellet cookers since this is the only one I have ever had, but it seems to do the job. I have seen other pellet cookers that cost a lot more but don't have half the features this one does.
Dave

Mo-Dave
06-10-2017, 10:54 AM

Yes I realize I way over estimated the cost, but I was including yeast, flour and whatever other hidden cost there may be, and there are always other hidden cost in my world.:roll:

We don't have Meijer in my area although I am sure I could get some from someplace like Casey's, or Pizza Hut.
Dave

gtsum
06-10-2017, 11:22 AM
Ask a local independent pizza shop and they should sell you dough balls for 2-3 bucks a piece. I doubt the big chains will do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro