PDA

View Full Version : Ribs...Cause Thursday...

Piomarine
06-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Got home from work today and said I WANT RIBS FOR DINNER!!!! Why? Cause it's Thursday and don't ask questions!

The smoker is now holding steady at about 290-305. My ribs are rubbed with a mix of paprika, chili powder, cumin, coriander, dry mustard, kosher salt, black pepper, brown sugar, and a pinch of cayenne, plus an occasional spritz with a mix of honey and cider vinagre.

ronbrad62
06-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Not a thing wrong with that, except that I am too far away to come for dinner. Don't forget the finished pic.

Smoking Piney
06-08-2017, 06:39 PM
Rumor has it that Thursdays rock for ribs.

Your rub sounds excellent. :thumb:

Piomarine
06-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Oh! And for those who have been watching the build of my new smoker (the one currently holding the ribs), that is a new water pan. I went to a local restaurant supply store and picked up a 14" aluminum cake pan...works like a charm!!!

Piomarine
06-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Just took them out for a short wrapping. They are temping just under where I like them, but the are bending clean and probing like budda! So they will be wrapped in foil for about 15 minutes to sit and think about what they've done. The last bone or so on the small end is "carmelized" far more than I would like in fact it's bark is somewhat "carBONized" but that's a little quirk I've noticed with my smoker, it has hot spots around the perimeter.

Frales
06-08-2017, 08:11 PM
Looks like a fine eating rib!

Piomarine
06-08-2017, 08:30 PM
The flavor of the ribs was the best I've ever made! Only issue was the premature setting of the bark. It was a hair on the hard side but flavor was on point!!! Any reccomendations on delaying the setting of the bark?

Smoking Piney
06-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Only issue was the premature setting of the bark. It was a hair on the hard side but flavor was on point!!! Any reccomendations on delaying the setting of the bark?

The ribs look very dark and burnt in the picture.

My suggestion - wrap them once they get the color you're looking for and take them to finish - easy bend and toothpick tender.

Piomarine
06-08-2017, 09:06 PM
I'm severely kicking myself! About 3.5 hours in I went to check on them and they were probe tender and had good color and an easy bend but were temping around 177* so I thought I'd keep them on to get a little higher. That was foolish. I didn't wrap them and they got very dark very quick. Not burned, just dark. I should have just remembered the montra around here...cook it till it's done and these ribs were done at 180*

SmittyJonz
06-08-2017, 09:57 PM
I've never temped Ribs. I have no Idea of what IT mine usually are....... :twitch:

bbeavers
06-08-2017, 10:16 PM
Got home from work today and said I WANT RIBS FOR DINNER!!!! Why? Cause it's Thursday and don't ask questions!

The smoker is now holding steady at about 290-305. My ribs are rubbed with a mix of paprika, chili powder, cumin, coriander, dry mustard, kosher salt, black pepper, brown sugar, and a pinch of cayenne, plus an occasional spritz with a mix of honey and cider vinagre.

You mentioned that you used honey for your spray and brown sugar for rub. i bet they caramelized early with the heat and smoke. Do it again with out the honey and sugar. See how that turns out.

Sea Rover
06-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Parkay and apple juice when they look dry

Piomarine
06-08-2017, 11:03 PM
I've never temped Ribs. I have no Idea of what IT mine usually are....... :twitch:

I don't normally. I usually end test and that has been pretty good for me. Unfortunately, tonight I did not listen to my better judgement and pull them when the bend looked right.

I may try going without brown sugar in the rub next time, but I will miss that sweetness in the back of the flavor. I really think the main issue was not trusting myself and taking them out when they were clearly DONE...and that was a stupid rookie mistake..._

SmittyJonz
06-08-2017, 11:12 PM
When you making the 3rd Grate...... ?

pjtexas1
06-08-2017, 11:23 PM
I would add the brown sugar in the wrap.
On the hot edges...is your diffuser welded on? If not maybe try a holey one.

Piomarine
06-08-2017, 11:26 PM
When I have time! Lol. I also have handles ready to be made but the last week I've been working 18 hours/day soooo...

I was also thinking about making some hanging rods. I don't want to weld them into the top, but I was looking at it, and my top rack is high enough that I could put the rods onto the rails for the top rack and make them removeable.

I also need to add the anti-tip for the grates.

Paul, I like the idea of the brown sugar in the wrap, and I may look at trying a holey diffuser if the issue keeps happening, or I may try flipping my current diffuser upside down so it creates a dome effect and allows more heat through the middle hole and less on the cutouts on the edges.

lastmajordude
06-09-2017, 08:18 AM
“I’d hit that”....!

BillN
06-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Hey I'll eat ribs on Thursday, no questions asked.:-P

SmittyJonz
08-09-2017, 09:01 PM
How's BabyBoom...? :wink: