PDA

View Full Version : Akorn IQ110 vs. Party Q

mrjoe
06-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Looking into a controller for long overnight cooks on my Akorn. Interested in Party Q b/c it's battery powered, but concerned about vent adapter, seems like from what I've read it does not fit well; concerned about it letting in unnecessary air or (gasp) falling out mid cook. IQ 110 or 120 would fit better IMO but I will need to run an extension cord.

Anyone have specific experience with these on the Akorn. Am I over doing it, can I just bend/mod the Party Q adaptor to make it work?

jjjonz
06-08-2017, 04:46 PM
I have a Party Q and love it. I used it on a Pit Barrel Cooker..as far as fitting a Akorn and you have the Akorn adaptor it should be no problem. The batteries really last quite a while. It sure keep the temp right on.

THoey1963
06-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Not going to say which is best as I don't know. But HERE (https://pitmasteriq.com/blogs/blog) is a page that documents how to build a batter box for the IQ's. About midway down the page. I built the rain box when I had mine, but didn't have a need for the battery system.

mrjoe
06-08-2017, 05:59 PM
I have a Party Q and love it. I used it on a Pit Barrel Cooker..as far as fitting a Akorn and you have the Akorn adaptor it should be no problem. The batteries really last quite a while. It sure keep the temp right on.

Cool , yeah maybe I will give a try, If unhappy with fit can maybe fit it w/nomex gasket or jam in aluminum foil if any gaps..

mrjoe
06-08-2017, 06:03 PM
Not going to say which is best as I don't know. But HERE (https://pitmasteriq.com/blogs/blog) is a page that documents how to build a batter box for the IQ's. About midway down the page. I built the rain box when I had mine, but didn't have a need for the battery system.
Nice Box, looks solid, not sure I have the carpentry chops for such.

I'm not sure about building a box, was hoping to get away with my Dick's sports clip on umbrella or cook during good weather..I'm guessing the party Q would need some sort of cover in inclimate weather as well...

varchild
06-08-2017, 06:57 PM
I have a Party Q on an Akorn and the fan is a little small so it has to run a lot. I think the 110 can move more air so its a better fit. I was in the same boat as you when I bought it with no external power outlets at my old house. The mount for the Party Q is really solid though but the 110 might be easier to remove which is a plus and a minus.

Happy Hapgood
06-08-2017, 07:02 PM
I do love my Party Q on my 18 WSM. If I set it at 275* and go to bed, the next morning it's not on 274. It's not on 276. Dead on 275. That constant temp really helps the quality and taste of the Q too. Just my .02. On edit, my WSM leaks some but that rig runs by grill temp. It will adjust accordingly.

Smoking Piney
06-08-2017, 07:15 PM
Not with an Akorn, but I do have experience with the IQ 120.

I use it with my Assassin and it's been a rock solid controller.

morgan-que
06-08-2017, 07:16 PM
As a long time akorn owner, I have used the IQ, Rock's stoker and also have used the tip top temp (TTT) (https://tiptoptemp.com/products/tip-top-temp). I found I liked TTT worked the best and for a lot less money. So for what I use now and recommend is to just use the vents. Not enough of temp swings to worry about I never had more than 10 degrees off.

KevinJ
06-08-2017, 08:33 PM
Bought the IQ 110 for a WSM because it was cheaper and didn't run on batteries, I hardly ever used it and not because it didn't work, it did what it was supposed todo. The WSM maintained temps without it, I used it when I wasn't home for a whole cook for peace of mind.

Can't go wrong with either, the biggest thing is would you rather use batteries or not. AC/DC baby :-D

Pocchampion
06-09-2017, 06:28 AM
I have a digiQ that I use on a WSM and on my Akorn and it works well. The adapter on the Akorn was loose fitting and required some bending. I ended up ordering an extra bottom for the Akorn and sealing the bottom up permanently. Just switch out bottoms depending on how I use he Akorn.

greenmountainsmoke
06-09-2017, 07:01 AM
Got a 110 for my Akorn a while back and love it. Was no trouble getting the adapter in right out of the box.

newtwoq
06-09-2017, 01:50 PM
I have both a DigiQ and a IQ110 they both are nice, I like the DigiQ better for rock solid temps. If I find a second DigiQ my IQ110 will be for sale here.