PDA

View Full Version : Help me...I'm lazy...need gravity fed cooker information

pjtexas1
06-08-2017, 03:44 PM
been looking for my next cooker. seems like forever since i tried something new. i am blaming jeff (bbqfreak) for pushing me over the edge. :heh:

i really want to try a gravity fed cooker. i nearly bought one a few years back but went with an insulated cabinet instead. nearly bought the new bw 3400 chubby when it came out but realized it was nearly the same size as my Red Box.:doh: i don't need anything big and actually want it as small as possible. what is out there in the "as close to $2k range" as i can get? i really like the T & K Small and the Sourthern Q Limo Junior. from what i can see in pics some of the welds/edges seem a little rough on these 2. can anyone that has either of these let me know if the edges are nice and smooth or if the welds look like they should have been ground down some more? shipping is going to be around $600 so i would like to start out with a cooker that isn't too expensive. if i need to cook a bunch of stuff i have a bigger cooker so no "go big or go home" replies.:boxing: thanks for your assistance and looking forward to your thoughts.

sure i could do more research but what fun is that? i know you guys like to help spend other people's money.:becky: besides i value the opinions of our members over anything i can read on the internet.

THoey1963
06-08-2017, 04:12 PM
WSCG? I know...

Smoking Piney
06-08-2017, 04:54 PM
I can only speak for the gravity feed I own - Assassin. Their smallest is a 17 and I think it ball parks at around $2400 before shipping costs.

I own a 24 and I couldn't be happier with it. It's a very well built, high quality smoking monster that you can order to your liking - door hinge side, fire box on the back or side, rack configuration to name a few. The insulation rocks - I've maintained 350 degrees for 6 hours with an outside air temp of 10. The builder, C&C Manufacturing in Macon, GA, was a pleasure to deal with and answered all of my questions before I ordered mine. Mine shipped 6 weeks after I ordered it. Mine is stock configuration with expanded metal racks, and I ordered the large thermometer and custom paint as add-ons.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/IMG_0335_zpsgtujlpgk.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/axepilot/media/IMG_0335_zpsgtujlpgk.jpg.html)

http://www.assassin-smokers.com/gravity-fed-insulated-smokers.php

Westx
06-08-2017, 05:12 PM
http://stumpssmokers.com/the-baby/ $2,200.

Macky
06-08-2017, 05:21 PM
http://www.ironsidesmokers.com/

Check this new Brethren Vendor. Great praise from Mr. Shirley as well and in your price range, I believe!

SmittyJonz
06-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Assassin 17.......

pjtexas1
06-08-2017, 05:59 PM
WSCG? I know...
I guess that is in my price range. :crazy:

I can only speak for the gravity feed I own - Assassin. Their smallest is a 17 and I think it ball parks at around $2400 before shipping costs.

I own a 24 and I couldn't be happier with it. It's a very well built, high quality smoking monster that you can order to your liking - door hinge side, fire box on the back or side, rack configuration to name a few. The insulation rocks - I've maintained 350 degrees for 6 hours with an outside air temp of 10. The builder, C&C Manufacturing in Macon, GA, was a pleasure to deal with and answered all of my questions before I ordered mine. Mine shipped 6 weeks after I ordered it. Mine is stock configuration with expanded metal racks, and I ordered the large thermometer and custom
]
Love that color!

http://stumpssmokers.com/the-baby/ $2,200.
Ok. That is small...:thumb:
http://www.ironsidesmokers.com/

Check this new Brethren Vendor. Great praise from Mr. Shirley as well and in your price range, I believe!
I really like this one but I have 2 cabinets. Really want to try a gf.

KevinJ
06-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Assassin 17.......+1..

Big Swole
06-08-2017, 06:13 PM
Assassin was going to be my choice had I not decided on an LSG

IXL
06-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Do the gravity feed styles require charcoal briquettes only, or can they also use lump charcoal? I fear Paul is sucking me into his money-spending spree.

Smoking Piney
06-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Do the gravity feed styles require charcoal briquettes only, or can they also use lump charcoal? I fear Paul is sucking me into his money-spending spree.

You can burn lump, but make sure you don't load really big pieces that might bridge the chute and jam the feed.

SimcoBBQ
06-08-2017, 06:36 PM
I can only speak for Stump's and Assassin , both are quality smokers

hurricanedavid
06-08-2017, 07:49 PM
I'm very happy with this one.:thumb:

BBQ Freak
06-08-2017, 09:58 PM
I would look at a used Stump XL Baby and will own another Sump's someday .

Militant83
06-08-2017, 10:21 PM
I've got the T&K Small and Todd even makes a smaller backyard model I believe a little 2 rack unit the one I saw was not a GF though. I'm not sure if he could make the smaller backyard model in a GF or not. All of the edges on mine are nice and smooth..however there are some attention to detail spots that me picky was able to spot. These do not effect functionality whatsoever just a cosmetic blemish. But he is making these in his garage with limited equipment as well so some imperfections were expected in my book.

pjtexas1
06-08-2017, 11:05 PM
I would look at a used Stump XL Baby and will own another Sump's someday .

I have never seen a used one near me. Even the new ones are mostly built in Georgia. That's a 14-15 hour drive.

pjtexas1
06-08-2017, 11:15 PM
I've got the T&K Small and Todd even makes a smaller backyard model I believe a little 2 rack unit the one I saw was not a GF though. I'm not sure if he could make the smaller backyard model in a GF or not. All of the edges on mine are nice and smooth..however there are some attention to detail spots that me picky was able to spot. These do not effect functionality whatsoever just a cosmetic blemish. But he is making these in his garage with limited equipment as well so some imperfections were expected in my book.

Really appreciate the honesty. I like the idea of supporting the little guy. Does the paint look nice up close? One of my cabinets paint is peeling after 3 years under a covered patio with a cover. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

K80Shooter
06-09-2017, 03:32 AM
Another vote for the Assassin, quality built and super nice folks to work with.

Derrick300
06-09-2017, 06:22 AM
Humphreys Tank series

pjtexas1
06-09-2017, 07:36 AM
Southern Q called me back in a few hours to give a shipping quote. i felt it was a little too high but they responded quickly. i was in the middle of a project at work so i didn't have time to talk to them.

St Louis BBQ Store emailed me in the middle of the night right after i requested a shipping quote. much more reasonable on the shipping rates and they completely crate their cookers. i was impressed!

Militant83
06-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Really appreciate the honesty. I like the idea of supporting the little guy. Does the paint look nice up close? One of my cabinets paint is peeling after 3 years under a covered patio with a cover. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

It has a little orange peel look to it if you look close... I was an idiot and chipped my paint when I strapped it down, forgetting to use the tie down D rings and running a strap across my handle. Due to it being painted the day before I picked it up and a 150 mile road trip it rubbed a small piece of paint off. But he gave me the left over paint with it so I will just touch up my mistake. Completely my fault on that one though. I would try to buy directly through him if possible you might save a little on cost. Although your only option for shipping with him would be something like u-ship.

Rhino99
06-09-2017, 11:36 AM
I have two of the T&K smokers, a medium gravity feed and an xl direct flow cabinet. I got the gravity feed first and was so happy I bought the xl when it came up on Craigslist. Like was said before there are a couple of very minor imperfections in the welds on mine, but most people would never notice. They certainly don't impair functionality at all. They cook great. I ran mine for 2 weeks without a guru and it held temps steady simply with the ball valve for air flow (although I used a fan to get it up to temp first).

Todd was great to work with on all aspects of my build. And if you get the gloss paint, the dimpling/orange peel texture goes away. I don't have any of that on my gravity feed with the gloss paint. However I think the other regular paint is designed to have that finish.

Militant83
06-09-2017, 11:55 AM
I have two of the T&K smokers, a medium gravity feed and an xl direct flow cabinet. I got the gravity feed first and was so happy I bought the xl when it came up on Craigslist. Like was said before there are a couple of very minor imperfections in the welds on mine, but most people would never notice. They certainly don't impair functionality at all. They cook great. I ran mine for 2 weeks without a guru and it held temps steady simply with the ball valve for air flow (although I used a fan to get it up to temp first).

Todd was great to work with on all aspects of my build. And if you get the gloss paint, the dimpling/orange peel texture goes away. I don't have any of that on my gravity feed with the gloss paint. However I think the other regular paint is designed to have that finish.

I haven't used a Guru on mine yet..but I will soon as one is in the mail.I agree everything cosmetic about the cookers you really have to be nit picking and looking it over.. to most it is stuff you wouldn't even notice. Todd is great to work with he answered my numerous questions the same day.

Clasko2
06-09-2017, 12:19 PM
Search through the threads...I know I was just reading one about a recent stumps purchase and that person was not happy with the build at all. I believe I remember reading that Stumps himself isn't associated with the company anymore and quality may have taken a huge hit. Really bummed me about because I had been thinking about buying s Stumps.

pjtexas1
06-09-2017, 01:17 PM
anyone have any opinion/preferences on insulation? seems like some don't mention how thick theirs is and some list 1"- 2" in the cook chamber and some 6" around the chute. i know some don't like the smaller backwoods models with only 1" of insulation. do these cookers still have the issue with the bottom grate being too hot vs the upper grates? that's one of the things that bothered me mentally a few years ago when i went insulated cabinet over gf.

appreciate all the info on T&K as i think the minor issues are just that and would not sway me away. i also had no idea i could contact him directly even though he has all his contact info right on his fb page. i never claimed to be the smart one of the group...

pjtexas1
06-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Search through the threads...I know I was just reading one about a recent stumps purchase and that person was not happy with the build at all. I believe I remember reading that Stumps himself isn't associated with the company anymore and quality may have taken a huge hit. Really bummed me about because I had been thinking about buying s Stumps.

i remember that thread. i posted a couple of comments there and i think the builder settled it reasonably. appreciate you looking out for me.

Militant83
06-09-2017, 01:30 PM
anyone have any opinion/preferences on insulation? seems like some don't mention how thick theirs is and some list 1"- 2" in the cook chamber and some 6" around the chute. i know some don't like the smaller backwoods models with only 1" of insulation. do these cookers still have the issue with the bottom grate being too hot vs the upper grates? that's one of the things that bothered me mentally a few years ago when i went insulated cabinet over gf.

appreciate all the info on T&K as i think the minor issues are just that and would not sway me away. i also had no idea i could contact him directly even though he has all his contact info right on his fb page. i never claimed to be the smart one of the group...

If you message Todd directly through Facebook he will have you an answer either same day or by the next day for sure. He monitors his Facebook pretty well.

olewarthog
06-12-2017, 01:25 PM
here is a review I did on my Assassin 17 a while back

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231165

Had it for over a year now & still am 100% satisfied.

pjtexas1
06-12-2017, 03:39 PM
here is a review I did on my Assassin 17 a while back

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231165

Had it for over a year now & still am 100% satisfied.

i enjoyed the write up. seems like the right size for me too.

SmittyJonz
06-12-2017, 05:49 PM
i enjoyed the write up. seems like the right size for me too.

Duh..... we already established that........

Assassin 17.......

pjtexas1
06-13-2017, 06:08 AM

My bad. I guess I should know better than to doubt the grill whisperer. :doh:

IXL
06-13-2017, 09:03 AM

Don't be too hard on him, Smitty. He's a Texan, you know. No,....wait......ummmm.......

pjtexas1
06-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Don't be too hard on him, Smitty. He's a Texan, you know. No,....wait......ummmm.......

Hook 'em! :boxing:

AZRaptor
06-19-2017, 12:45 AM
Good luck on your purchase. I've wanted a gravity fed for along time now, but timing has never been right, including last week when an Assassin 24 hit my local CL.

pjtexas1
06-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Good luck on your purchase. I've wanted a gravity fed for along time now, but timing has never been right, including last week when an Assassin 24 hit my local CL.

Well I'm in no rush. I have a week off next month and we are probably going on a road trip so I'll probably go look at some in person. Like you it's a cooker that I've wanted for years.

sliding_billy
06-19-2017, 08:08 AM
If you drop a stick from a few inches onto the fire in your firebox, that's gravity fed isn't it? :doh:

pjtexas1
06-19-2017, 09:42 AM
If you drop a stick from a few inches onto the fire in your firebox, that's gravity fed isn't it? :doh:

Looks like I have a few of them already. Good thing I didn't waste my money on a new cooker.