PDA

View Full Version : Reverse flow ?s

zackgirton6
06-08-2017, 11:05 AM
What's the real atvantages of a reverse flow over abnormal offset? I'm looking into getting a new smoker soon and I have been extremely impressed with Shirley's. I have a small cheap offset.. So I guess the question is what's the real advantage of the reverse flow and people that have them what's your opinions on them likes and dislikes?

tom b
06-08-2017, 11:25 AM
I'm tuned in....

Shagdog
06-08-2017, 12:05 PM
A reverse flow cooks much more evenly. On a traditional offset, you will have different zones of temperature throughout the cooker. These can be toned down a lot with correctly installed tuning plates, but there's no need to fiddle with that on a reverse flow.

chet8888
06-08-2017, 12:25 PM
I concur on the even temps top to bottom and left to right. All within about 25 or so degrees as best I can tell.

Although, has any one noticed if you are going hot and fast any extra cooking taking place on the face down/rack side of things- maybe because of the heat radiating off the baffle plate? I noticed my last brisket on the smoke stack side (so closest to the firebox) had great color on the top, but the underside was a little darker. I thought maybe it was from heat radiating up from the plate- because that would be hotter since that is where the firebox was located. Just a theory.

m-fine
06-08-2017, 12:28 PM
A reverse flow is more even temperature wise end to end which many consider an advantage. A traditional flow tends to be hotter at the fire end, which some people prefer as it gives you multiple zones. Personally, I am glad to have the reverse flow and would not want to switch back to a traditional.

The advantages of a solidly constructed Shirley over a cheap offset will me more important than the airflow path

m-fine
06-08-2017, 12:32 PM
I concur on the even temps top to bottom and left to right. All within about 25 or so degrees as best I can tell.

Although, has any one noticed if you are going hot and fast any extra cooking taking place on the face down/rack side of things- maybe because of the heat radiating off the baffle plate? I noticed my last brisket on the smoke stack side (so closest to the firebox) had great color on the top, but the underside was a little darker. I thought maybe it was from heat radiating up from the plate- because that would be hotter since that is where the firebox was located. Just a theory.

That is a good theory. When you get the firebox of an RF too hot it can also transfer heat through the metal to make that end hotter, but extra darkening on the bottom could definitely be from heat off the RF plate. On my trailer mounted Lang, I sometimes use the nose jack to tilt it up slightly and add a little liquid (water/apple juice) on top of the RF plate to help keep a raging fire from transferring too much heat there.

sparctek
06-08-2017, 01:35 PM
I've cooked on both a traditional offset and reverse flow. For me, and this is personal preference, I do not like the taste that is added as fat/drippings sizzle/burn on the RF plate. I sold my RF cooker and went back to traditional offset for this reason. Now, maybe it was just my RF cooker or may be it was the way I used it. Regardless, I am much happier with traditional cooker I have now. Something to think about...

Lobsterbake
06-08-2017, 01:50 PM
How would grease or fat dripping off of tuning plates be any different than smoking off the RF plate?

sparctek
06-08-2017, 02:10 PM
How would grease or fat dripping off of tuning plates be any different than smoking off the RF plate?

It I s not any different which is why I don't use tuning plates. And yes, I set the tuning plates in my current cooker up for even temps and marked their positions during the initial seasoning, but I have not had them in since then.

m-fine
06-08-2017, 03:58 PM
How hot are you running a smoker that the fat drippings are smoking on the reverse plate or tuning plates? The smoke points for typical animal fats are in the 370-400+ degree range. The drippings mostly go down my drain and only smoke after the cook when I throw on a few extra logs and bring it up to 500 in order to intentionally burn off the fats.

sparctek
06-08-2017, 04:19 PM
I run my offset at cook chamber temps of 275 - 300. I don't know if the fat/drippings smoked or not, but I can tell you I taste it and smell it. I don't taste it or smell it on the offset without tuning plates. Like I said maybe it's just me. /shrug

shares
06-08-2017, 04:21 PM
I used to cook on a rotisserie and temps were obviously about as even as it gets. But I soon grew to wish for cool / hot zones that I could use to my advantage. I switched to a cabinet smoker quite a while ago and have enjoyed strategic use of temperature zones since then.

Big Swole
06-08-2017, 04:52 PM
I'm subbing because I've been wanting to ask about RF's too. Been wanted a Shirley myself. My current offset seems to just not put as much true "Smoke" flavor on my food like I want. I might not be doing something exactly correct, but to me it seems like a RF cooker might have a better chance to get smoke on the meat vs. a traditional flow. Not exactly sure how to put into words why I think that, can anyone confirm that smoke flavor is better / worse / same on a RF vs tradition flow?

lantern
06-08-2017, 05:06 PM
I've cooked on both a traditional offset and reverse flow. For me, and this is personal preference, I do not like the taste that is added as fat/drippings sizzle/burn on the RF plate. .

Was this flavor similar to the flavor you get from a Carolina/Texas style direct heat pit or a UDS without a plate?

m-fine
06-08-2017, 05:25 PM
I run my offset at cook chamber temps of 275 - 300. I don't know if the fat/drippings smoked or not, but I can tell you I taste it and smell it. I don't taste it or smell it on the offset without tuning plates. Like I said maybe it's just me. /shrug

I wouldn't be shocked if certain RF designs hit 370-400 when running the chamber at 300. I don't think it is just you, but I also don't think it is a universal RF problem as I have never run into it on my Lang at "normal" temps. I would think a drip tray or a water tray or a variety of other solutions could be used to prevent that in most designs.

BTW, I do agree completely about the flavor of smoking fat vs smoking wood. That is one of the reasons I want an offset stick burner to begin with. No fat dripping on charcoal flavor.

m-fine
06-08-2017, 05:30 PM
I'm subbing because I've been wanting to ask about RF's too. Been wanted a Shirley myself. My current offset seems to just not put as much true "Smoke" flavor on my food like I want. I might not be doing something exactly correct, but to me it seems like a RF cooker might have a better chance to get smoke on the meat vs. a traditional flow. Not exactly sure how to put into words why I think that, can anyone confirm that smoke flavor is better / worse / same on a RF vs tradition flow?

A stick burner has a different flavor profile than a charcoal cooker, especially one where that fat drips and burns. The wood smoke flavor is lighter/more subtle which I prefer but which others may find weak. Any well designed offset will have good airflow past the meat so I would not expect you will find RF vs traditional to give you the flavor difference you are hoping for. What may help is using a stronger wood. Or maybe you just don't like stick burner flavor.

Big Swole
06-08-2017, 06:33 PM
A stick burner has a different flavor profile than a charcoal cooker, especially one where that fat drips and burns. The wood smoke flavor is lighter/more subtle which I prefer but which others may find weak. Any well designed offset will have good airflow past the meat so I would not expect you will find RF vs traditional to give you the flavor difference you are hoping for. What may help is using a stronger wood. Or maybe you just don't like stick burner flavor.

I've always heard "stick burners make the best Q taste"... I obviously have had Q from stick burners where it tasted great.

My wood is supposedly debarked Hickory....Not sure how much stronger I can go besides Mesquite.

I just think I'm burning TOO Clean of a fire maybe. Or have my vents / door wide open and let it "Draft" too much maybe... Not enough smoke time on the meat itself. I wonder if I close off the vents a bit, I can get more time of the smoke on the meat instead of it just rushing passed / over / under it.

m-fine
06-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Yes, you can dial back the airflow. A lot of guys on this site like to run their offsets wide open, but I don't think that is always best. You can clamp down the air intakes to reduce the flow rate through the smoker. As long as you have enough air for the fire to burn clean and a touch more, you have plenty. Less airflow means less heat out the chimney and less fuel burned, but it may mean less even heat distribution.

Another thing that you may try is keeping the meat moist with spritzing/basting as that is supposed to help smoke absorbtion.

m-fine
06-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Oh, and try eating the meat the next day. Tending a stickburner all day can deaden your senses to smoke flavor. I have made things like mac and cheese that I thought barely had any smoke flavor, only to find the smoke to be intense the next day.

Mastertech351
06-08-2017, 10:19 PM
I own a Shirley Fab 24-42 patio and it runs no more than 10-15 degrees from end to end so if you are cooking a lot of one item like pork butts it works out great not having dramatic temp differences!

JohnnyB
06-09-2017, 07:04 AM
I'd like to point out the clean-up factor with the RF. I love having a nice flat plate that I can put a paint scraper to and be done in no time.

sparctek
06-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Was this flavor similar to the flavor you get from a Carolina/Texas style direct heat pit or a UDS without a plate?

The taste is similar but it is more dense or more pronounced. I cook on an open fire pit a lot and even though grease falls on hot coals in that method of cooking that doesn't bother me. I'm guessing that maybe it has to do with the enclosed environment of the smoker? Anyway, I found what works for me. I didn't mean to derail the thread, just wanted to offer my thoughts to the OP.

sparctek
06-09-2017, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if certain RF designs hit 370-400 when running the chamber at 300. I don't think it is just you, but I also don't think it is a universal RF problem as I have never run into it on my Lang at "normal" temps. I would think a drip tray or a water tray or a variety of other solutions could be used to prevent that in most designs.

BTW, I do agree completely about the flavor of smoking fat vs smoking wood. That is one of the reasons I want an offset stick burner to begin with. No fat dripping on charcoal flavor.

I had the RF cooker for almost 2 years but I didn't try a water tray in it. I cooked everything from chicken to Brisket and just couldn't get past that little quirk. Glad I'm not alone in my preference for no fat dripping on charcoal. :-D

cats49er
06-09-2017, 10:25 AM
I've always heard "stick burners make the best Q taste"... I obviously have had Q from stick burners where it tasted great.

My wood is supposedly debarked Hickory....Not sure how much stronger I can go besides Mesquite.

I just think I'm burning TOO Clean of a fire maybe. Or have my vents / door wide open and let it "Draft" too much maybe... Not enough smoke time on the meat itself. I wonder if I close off the vents a bit, I can get more time of the smoke on the meat instead of it just rushing passed / over / under it.

In my Lang 60 I get more smoke / air flow across the top shelf than the bottom.That could give you more flavor.And mix in a little green hickory once you get a good coal bed going, this will give you more flavor also.