PDA

View Full Version : If you could only have one cooker...? My thoughts.

Baby Back Maniac
06-08-2017, 10:13 AM
I'm sure you guys get this question a lot from friends and family just like I do. I decided to do a video on it.

I was thinking through all the cookers I've have owned over the years and which ones would be the best for most folks cooking for friends and family who for whatever reason can only have 1 cooker.

If you can only have one, you need something that can grill and smoke so that ruled out some of my favorites right off the bat. In the end, I think most people would be happiest with kettles and kamados as their only cooker and I go through my reasons for each one i think people would like best in mind-numbing...I mean "thorough" detail. lol

https://youtu.be/rFJlBgNqfyE

This is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. I probably overlooked something (and if I did, I'm mention it in a future video.) I don't really have any skin in the game. I just get this question a lot and it's important to me to help people find what they need.

Side note: I was worried since it was long, nobody would watch it but over 4,000 people watched it over night last night. I must have hit on something.

el_matt
06-08-2017, 10:25 AM
I haven't watched the video, yet(Wi-Fi at work, sucks!). Just from the title, I was thinking kettle or a kamado, as well. Love your videos, keep 'em coming.

Matt

Macky
06-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Probably hard to beat the Kamado/Kettle options but I might throw a good Pellet Cooker in there as well. Mac

pjtexas1
06-08-2017, 10:56 AM
i would also go with a kettle but that sure doesn't leave much room for multiple big meats. if money is not an option then i think something like a Shirley with a warmer would be my pick but that is not a $150 cooker.

Drunk Monkey
06-08-2017, 11:05 AM
If I was going off to war and had to pick one, it would be a kettle. Probably the 26" even thought I have never cooked on one. I love my Kamado's but the kettle still gets the bulk of the work at my house.

Smoking Piney
06-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Kamado.

tonyjohnson619
06-08-2017, 11:24 AM
ranch kettle or a assassin grill. never used a assassin but from what i have seen it can do all like a kettle

robert-r
06-08-2017, 11:37 AM
26" Weber kettle. Will do just about anything & only $300 new.

tom b
06-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Hard to even consider the thought

Jeeves
06-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Thank you for what I felt was a superb review. It was clear, detailed and thorough.
Has it changed my opinion and/or influenced my decision? No.
But then having scoured the reviews/views of others, but specially looked at your substantial efforts, I had already decided to buy the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill with the table :-D.
So once again, thanks.

dadsr4
06-08-2017, 12:41 PM
Interesting video. So you are basically saying that a komado is the best grill to own, if you only have one cooker? Or are you saying that, if you buy a kamado, the Summit is the best?

m-fine
06-08-2017, 01:16 PM
This is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

You are totally WRONG! Oh wait I haven't even watched it yet to know what you said.

fwdiii
06-08-2017, 01:23 PM
26" Weber Kettle.....no question

morgan-que
06-08-2017, 01:42 PM
My assassin 36 is my keeper.

m-fine
06-08-2017, 02:29 PM
I will soon be adding a 26" kettle to turn into a mini-ranch now that the new full size Ranch has arrived, so I will reserve judgement of it until I have some time with it.

For now, my answer for a single grill would have to be the Ranch. I have not used it for smoking and it wouldn't be my first or 10th choice as a smoker but as a grill it blows away a 24" Kamado in capacity and capability. Plus it even costs a little bit less. Talk about limiting sales though. If they sold the Ranch for $499 people would find excuses for why they need two or three.

For a smoker, for me the choice would be which stick burning reverse flow offset. More work and not set it and forget it like a Kamado or charcoal cooker, but to me, the results from smoking are a step above.

If I could only have one device, I would be un-happy, but the Lang with Chargrill would be the last to go from the current stable. The chargrill on my 1990's Lang is not a great user friendly grill, but if I was motivated by lack of a Ranch, some lid counterweights and an adjustment to the hold open mechanism would make it much better. I am not sure how the new rounded designs compare. If I was buying new, I am sure I could get the Shirley guys to build me a unit to my design, or maybe just weld a Ranch onto the nose of the trailer. If it is welded on it only counts as one cooker right? :-D Obviously the price of an offset with grill option is in the same range as all three of your top kamados...combined, so that is a bit of an issue for those who are not fully committed.

I really have enjoyed my kamado and I do think they are a great choice for many people as a lone grill, but I just don't think I would ever be satisfied with one as my only outdoor cooker. Thankfully, I do not need to choose.

Ag76
06-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Excellent review.

PorkinButts82
06-08-2017, 02:35 PM
UDS for me. A drum can easily be setup for grilling. Extremely fuel efficient and reliable everytime.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Roo-B-Que
06-08-2017, 02:38 PM
Im going to go with UDS as well. I grill steaks on mine all the time, so you can really do it all with them as well.

dadsr4
06-08-2017, 02:51 PM
I'm in the position of having only one grill. I could have others, but for cooking for 4 or less, I can't see owning other than a kettle. If I were going to buy a new grill, it would be a 26" kettle. A kamado would be nice for pizzas, but other than that, the worry factor
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa345/dadsr4/Cookers/dump_zps1rkj5h5e.jpg
vs.
https://www.chowstatic.com/uploads/9/8/5/772589_0973e334.jpg
rules one out for me.
The Summit, without the gas starter and at a more reasonable price, might tempt me, though.

KevinJ
06-08-2017, 03:19 PM
A pellet muncher that can sear and smoke, Memphis, MAK, Yoder or Fast Eddie, a Assassin Grill would be tops if I wanted to stick with charcoal.

Lived with a Weber Performer for a couple of years and the only thing I didn't like about cooking on it was cooking indirect for larger cuts of meat, it would get cramped.

sleebus.jones
06-08-2017, 03:38 PM
I'd have to say a Fast Eddie's PG500. Char-grill to low and slow, it does it all.

Sea Rover
06-08-2017, 03:41 PM
I have a Jambo and love it. But my 22 WSM is a awesome smoker for a lot less $.

Rockinar
06-08-2017, 03:50 PM
Only one?

A high quality offset. It can do it all and do it better. Plus has more shelf space.

kls44
06-08-2017, 03:52 PM
A kettle if only cooking for 3 or 4, otherwise the OverUnder from Academy. Grill on one side, smoke onthe other.

m-fine
06-08-2017, 04:04 PM
A kamado would be nice for pizzas,

They are OK for pizza, but the inability to see in without opening the lid is not ideal, especially for Neapolitan pizza that cooks in 2-3 minutes or less. Too easy to go from not done to burnt. I do enjoy the results I get with the occasional pizza on my Pit Boss, but if I was super serious about pizza I would get a blackstone or other purpose designed pizza oven.

dadsr4
06-08-2017, 04:08 PM
They are OK for pizza, but the inability to see in without opening the lid is not ideal, especially for Neapolitan pizza that cooks in 2-3 minutes or less. Too easy to go from not done to burnt. I do enjoy the results I get with the occasional pizza on my Pit Boss, but if I was super serious about pizza I would get a blackstone or other purpose designed pizza oven.

That's one of the questions I've had about kamado pizza cooks. In the kettle with a piece of wood raising one side of the lid, I could at least see what was happening, but at a lower temp.

Zin
06-08-2017, 04:10 PM
26.75 weber kettle does it all.

Steve S
06-08-2017, 04:13 PM
I have a 26" kettle, but I am still figuring out how to run it.

dadsr4
06-08-2017, 04:35 PM
I have a 26" kettle, but I am still figuring out how to run it.

Several fire bricks, the Minion method or running a charcoal snake, and this diagram
https://bbqviking.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/www-bbqviking-com-charcoal-setup1.png?w=584&h=412
is all you need.

dadsr4
06-08-2017, 04:40 PM
OK, I've been thinking about this, and here's my question.
I'm lucky, my wife frequently asks me why I don't get a new cooker. But for those who have to justify their purchases to their life partner, with cost a factor, kettle or kamado?

Ag76
06-08-2017, 05:06 PM
If cost is a factor, I would choose a kettle.

THoey1963
06-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Just do what I did and wait till she goes on vacation... Wait. Hey, I still have the WSCG and I'm not sleeping on the couch...

m-fine
06-08-2017, 05:13 PM
I'm lucky, my wife frequently asks me why I don't get a new cooker. But for those who have to justify their purchases to their life partner, with cost a factor, kettle or kamado?

If you are talking about value for the $, and money for the BBQ budget is tight, it is really hard to beat the standard 22.5" Weber kettle. You can get a dozen of the old school no frills models for the price of one Kamado. Even the 26" only runs $300 new at list price. Good luck finding a decent kamado near that size (24") for $300.

I give the Kamado the nod for use in winter because it is less impacted by cold or snow. It also uses less charcoal. The high insulation and low airflow can also mean less moisture loss which is a plus for certain things. Once up to temp, the large heat mass of a ceramic kamado makes it more stable, but also much harder to cool down if you over shoot. I would say the kamado is a better smoker than a kettle but that is relative as neither are great smokers. All in all, I think I could do anything I can do on the Kamado on a kettle, maybe a touch not as well or with a bit more work needed.

The kettle though is cheaper, lighter weight and more portable, less fragile, and the lid comes completely off/more out of the way.

For the same size and price, I would choose the kamado, but with a big price difference and the ability to get a 26" or 37.5" kettle, that is my vote for value. OK, the 37.5" ranch at over $1000 is not really a great value, especially next to its little brothers, but it is a great grill.

Westx
06-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Pbc.

cookingdude555
06-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Only one? I cant answer that. Great video by the way, I was one of the people that watched it last night. I have 5 eggs and it seems like a dozen webers, and I thought your analysis was spot on.

IXL
06-08-2017, 06:41 PM

We peer down the four-inch diameter hole in the top of the dome to check for indications of doneness when cooking pizzas.

PnkPanther
06-08-2017, 06:43 PM

/Get a divorce get what you want

But seriously, for me a kettle. Maybe even space age dancook

4ever3
06-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Just one?

Weber Summit Charcoal...

Why? It will do everything and there is nothing to crack or break so it even eliminates warranty issues...

SlowmotionQue
06-08-2017, 07:02 PM
If I could have only one, it would be the 22.5in WSM.

And this comes from a man who owns a Kamado Joe.

In a pinch, the WSM can be used to sear steaks.

lunchman
06-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Great analysis, agree with many of your points. All good cookers.

For those looking for a non-ceramic Kamado, I went through that thought process recently. My Bayou Classic Ceramic Cypress suffered a fatal lid crack for the very reasons stated by BBM, a misaligned hinge. Something I probably should have paid more attention to although I did adjust it periodically. Was it a great cooker? No, it was a good cooker and my go to was always the Bubba Keg. The fact that the BC is no longer sold and replacement lids weren't available led me to look at other Kamados, non-ceramics.

Tossing ceramics out of the decision process left me with a handful of choices. Blaze Aluminum, Caliber Stainless Steel, another Big Steel Keg/Broil King Keg, Akorn. Had I known about the Weber Summit Charcoal I might have considered it.

With a Google search I stumbled across the Goldens' Cast Iron. Not a well known brand, hardly any reviews, and frankly I took a chance on it. It was cheaper than the Blaze and the Caliber. I wasn't keen on the Akorn reviews. Wanted something different than my Bubba Keg.

I've only had it six weeks or so and am pleased with the purchase. It does everything I need in a Kamado.

Have not tried overnite low and slows yet, those are on the agenda.

Pros:
Cast Iron, not ceramic
Built like a tank
Will outlast me, my great-great-great* grandchildren will get to use it.
Cooks thus far have been effortless, like I've been using it for years
Interaction with the company has been outstanding

Cons:
Unknown company making its mark in the Kamado world (though they've been in business as an iron foundry since 1882)
Price is up there, but for me it was a good value
Won't be tailgating with it :-D

Just another Kamado to consider and solely my opinion based on ownership. I'm probably the only forum member who owns one!

-lunchman

dadsr4
06-08-2017, 07:35 PM
/Get a divorce get what you want

But seriously, for me a kettle. Maybe even space age dancook

Non-valuable answer. Lose- lose result.

Cook
06-08-2017, 08:15 PM
26" Weber kettle...or if you're on a budge, a nice hole in the ground will do.

Happy Hapgood
06-08-2017, 08:24 PM
We Brethren should Watch Justin's reviews on YouTube and put a thanks in there as it helps him cover some cost.

Super vids on your channel Sir!

PnkPanther
06-08-2017, 08:26 PM
Non-valuable answer. Lose- lose result.

Second line was my real answer. I feel kettle for versatility and price is the way to go

Happy Hapgood
06-08-2017, 08:27 PM
I can understand why alot of the Northern Brethren choose the ceramics but how long do they last? I'm liking the WSCG.

PnkPanther
06-08-2017, 08:30 PM
Great analysis, agree with many of your points. All good cookers.

For those looking for a non-ceramic Kamado, I went through that thought process recently. My Bayou Classic Ceramic Cypress suffered a fatal lid crack for the very reasons stated by BBM, a misaligned hinge. Something I probably should have paid more attention to although I did adjust it periodically. Was it a great cooker? No, it was a good cooker and my go to was always the Bubba Keg. The fact that the BC is no longer sold and replacement lids weren't available led me to look at other Kamados, non-ceramics.

Tossing ceramics out of the decision process left me with a handful of choices. Blaze Aluminum, Caliber Stainless Steel, another Big Steel Keg/Broil King Keg, Akorn. Had I known about the Weber Summit Charcoal I might have considered it.

With a Google search I stumbled across the Goldens' Cast Iron. Not a well known brand, hardly any reviews, and frankly I took a chance on it. It was cheaper than the Blaze and the Caliber. I wasn't keen on the Akorn reviews. Wanted something different than my Bubba Keg.

I've only had it six weeks or so and am pleased with the purchase. It does everything I need in a Kamado.

Have not tried overnite low and slows yet, those are on the agenda.

Pros:
Cast Iron, not ceramic
Built like a tank
Will outlast me, my great-great-great* grandchildren will get to use it.
Cooks thus far have been effortless, like I've been using it for years
Interaction with the company has been outstanding

Cons:
Unknown company making its mark in the Kamado world (though they've been in business as an iron foundry since 1882)
Price is up there, but for me it was a good value
Won't be tailgating with it :-D

Just another Kamado to consider and solely my opinion based on ownership. I'm probably the only forum member who owns one!

-lunchman

No expert but first look that looks like nice cooker

Turkey
06-08-2017, 08:58 PM
Do I have to be the first to say build a UDS?

Bought a KJBJ a few weeks and I'm very happy with it. I wanted a WSCG for all the reasons that BBM pointed out, but it's not available in Australia (and Weber get a bit weird when I ask them if/when they're going to bring it in, like I'm asking for the Coke formula).

m-fine
06-09-2017, 06:37 AM
I can understand why alot of the Northern Brethren choose the ceramics but how long do they last? I'm liking the WSCG.

I have seen a BGE that was pushing 40. The ceramics looked fine but the metal parts were showing their age. I think it comes down to how well you take care of it plus a little luck.

dgaddis1
06-09-2017, 07:32 AM
I have seen a BGE that was pushing 40. The ceramics looked fine but the metal parts were showing their age. I think it comes down to how well you take care of it plus a little luck.

I bought a house a year and a half ago that came with a Large BGE. The stand is built into the deck, so they included it with the house. It got me into BBQ and outdoor cooking and was a great grill. But, when I got it the fire bowl was cracked. Over the next year the crack got worse, and eventually it started to fall apart. Bought a new one for about $150 or so. When I pulled the old one out for the last time (I knew it would really fall apart if I tried to remove it) I discovered the fire ring was also cracked, but it broke into two solid pieces, and I've been using it as-is for now.

Fast forward a couple months, the lid got out of alignment. Trying to adjust it was a huge PITA. Partly because it's a dumb design, partly because of how the stand is built the limited access it provides. While spinning it around in the stand so I could get to the bolts easier I discovered a crack in the base, starts on one side, goes down and cross the bottom and about a foot up the other side. It's not falling apart yet, but it's a matter of time. Seeing as how it's sitting on a wooden deck attached to my wooden house, I don't want to leave it unattended. No more overnight cooks for sure.

A replacement base will be over $500. I could buy an all new grill (with a lifetime warranty, which I don't have with the current Egg since I'm not the original owner) for $700 from the Ace down the street. So, no way I'm paying $500 for a new base!

But, I'd still have the same issues. Bands that go out of adjustment. Ceramics that eventually crack. Some folks get decades of use out of them, but cracked bases are not uncommon. A mountain biking buddy has had his Egg for over 18yrs and hasn't had anything crack but the firebox. He doesn't use it all that much though. We used ours several times a week, and I don't know how much use it got before we owned it.

So instead of fixing or replacing the Egg, I bought a 22.5" Kettle, an 18" WSM, and then a rotisserie for the kettle. All of that cost me less than $500 buying it new (I did get the WSM on sale), and there's no ceramics to fail, and I've got a TON more cooking space, and I can take them with me somewhere if I wanted. Plus the two-zone fire ability of the kettle is a nice feature the Egg didn't have.

But now I've got an Egg sitting in it's stand that's built into the deck I'm not using, and I need to do something with it. I'm hoping I can find a base on craigslist or something...

Anyhow. Cost is always a factor. And IMO, if you want the ultimate in versatility, but don't have $700+ to spend, my vote is a kettle and a WSM. I know, that's two cookers, not one, but the cost is less than a single komado and you can do everything you might want to do.

DaveAlvarado
06-09-2017, 08:03 AM
What a good topic.

Price no object: Jambo J-5.
Under $5k: Lone Star Grillz 24x60 pipe smoker with a 24x30 vertical attachment
Under $2k: Lone Star Grillz 24x24 offset vertical or a Ranch Kettle
Under $500: Weber 26" kettle
Under $100: Used Weber 22" kettle

hurricanedavid
06-09-2017, 09:28 AM
BGE:thumb:

cats49er
06-09-2017, 09:43 AM
A custom Shirley Fab with warmer box that could used as a grill also.

70monte
06-09-2017, 11:35 AM
If I could only have one grill/smoker, it would probably be my Good One Marshall. You can grill on one side and smoke on the other and it has plenty of room to do either for larger cooks or larger pieces of meat. While it may not be the most fuel efficient, it does hold solid temps for smoking and you don't have to baby sit it.

With that being said, I probably have around 15 different grills and smokers and like all of them for different reasons and uses, so I'm glad I don't have to make that choice.

EdF
06-09-2017, 11:43 AM

I've had my large BGE since 2002.

Sid Post
06-09-2017, 05:56 PM
With the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill being ~$1700~$2000, I think a Shirley Fabrication Patio model is a no brainer. Wood or Charcoal in the firebox for burgers or a sear. Briskets and Butts in the smoker.

The WSCG looks like a really nice setup but, I think the price point is just too much. I get the marketing aspect too (sell one unit at $500 profit versus selling ten units at $50 profit).

Why do people have Weber Kettles? Smokey Joe's everywhere for $30 and other larger Kettles for ~$50~$130 (skipping the MSRP $150 and up models).

For me, a Shirley and Weber Kettle may not be a "one cooker" solution but, if all I have is a hammer, will I live in a world that only contains nails? I cold also 'store' a kettle in the Shirley if I had too.
:-D

Sid Post
06-09-2017, 06:13 PM
With no disrespect intended toward Baby Back Maniac and his excellent YouTube video, I think a more appropriate or possibly a follow up video should be something along the lines of, best smoker for someone on a modest budget (no earthen pits, no assembly (or very limited) required).

I will admit my bias against Big Green Eggs. Yes they are excellent appliances for most people but, I don't like being price gouged and upsold and I am underwhelmed by their lack of evolution and improvements as noted by their competitors. Being nickeled and dimed is irritating to say the least. They lost me as a customer even though I always thought I wanted a BGE.

For example, with $300 do I get a Pit Barrel Cooker, a 22.5" WSM or, a Kettle and some accessory for smoking?

The Weber 22" Kettle with the accessory charcoal basket mentioned in the video is a sub-$300 option as well, granted the 26" Kettle and basket would kiss $500 but, how much capacity do I really need? Where would a PK Grill fit in?

The generic big box offsets from various vendors would have to be included as a group along with the various electric options (which are probably their own category with the pellet options as another category).

gengle
06-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Restricted budget: two six seven five

Unrestricted:
https://grillsandcookers.com/collections/braten-1000

I'd take a hard look at the Hasty Bake's too!

m-fine
06-09-2017, 06:28 PM
With no disrespect intended toward Baby Back Maniac and his excellent YouTube video, I think a more appropriate or possibly a follow up video should be something along the lines of, best smoker for someone on a modest budget (no earthen pits, no assembly (or very limited) required).

I will admit my bias against Big Green Eggs. Yes they are excellent appliances for most people but, I don't like being price gouged and upsold and I am underwhelmed by their lack of evolution and improvements as noted by their competitors. Being nickeled and dimed is irritating to say the least. They lost me as a customer even though I always thought I wanted a BGE.

For example, with $300 do I get a Pit Barrel Cooker, a 22.5" WSM or, a Kettle and some accessory for smoking?

The Weber 22" Kettle with the accessory charcoal basket mentioned in the video is a sub-$300 option as well, granted the 26" Kettle and basket would kiss $500 but, how much capacity do I really need? Where would a PK Grill fit in?

The generic big box offsets from various vendors would have to included as a group along with the various electric options (which are probably their own category with the pellet options as another category).

22" WSM is a nice tool for smoking but not much of a grill. The PBC to me is too simplified/non-flexible and not a great value compared to a larger self built UDS. For $300 new not on sale, the 26" kettle comes with a pair of charcoal baskets so I don't think you would need a slow-n-sear to get a whole lot of flexibility out of it. Yes the S&S may be better but it is pricey and can be added later. Not a bad option but...

I think if I was truly limited to $300, with a little Craig's list shopping, you could put together a pair of 55 gallon sized UDS's for smoking and have a pair of 22" Weber kettles for grilling. That is some serious capacity and they are tools that can put out quality Q. If money was tight, that is what I would do.

Sid Post
06-10-2017, 01:14 AM
22" WSM is a nice tool for smoking but not much of a grill. The PBC to me is too simplified/non-flexible and not a great value compared to a larger self built UDS. For $300 new not on sale, the 26" kettle comes with a pair of charcoal baskets so I don't think you would need a slow-n-sear to get a whole lot of flexibility out of it. Yes the S&S may be better but it is pricey and can be added later. Not a bad option but...

I think if I was truly limited to $300, with a little Craig's list shopping, you could put together a pair of 55 gallon sized UDS's for smoking and have a pair of 22" Weber kettles for grilling. That is some serious capacity and they are tools that can put out quality Q. If money was tight, that is what I would do.

I have a UDS build pending. Right now, all I have is the $35 barrel. Grates, charcoal basket, ball valves for air, smokestack and, paint/screws/etc. are TBD as time allows.

I used a Weber Smokey Joe for a long time TDY when I just couldn't take steaks, chicken, etc. in a skillet or over gas anymore.

I run hot and cold on a Ceramic mini-Kamado and will probably end up with a Weber 22" or 26" Kettle at some point. A 14" WSM is probably going to stand-in for a potential PBC at some point too. It really all depends on finances and opportunities at the time.

While a Shirley or Backwoods or Lonestar Grill is on my 'wish list', the reality is that it would most likely take me a couple years to save enough to buy one and then there is the issue of how much capacity do I really need anyway? Two or three hundred dollars over a few months and catching a holiday sale is a more realistic option so, that's the path I'm most likely to take.

Regarding Craigslist, I must live in the wrong part of the country to score a good deal on a Weber or something similar. Heck, I found a gently used WSCG on the cart in New Jersey for $1,000 with accessories that looks barely broken in ... now if it was the Midwest, I might be breaking open the piggy bank and counting change but, that's just too far to consider even for a good deal.

Notorious Q.U.E.
06-10-2017, 09:14 AM

I think you're spot on Toast. I know I've considered ceramics but metal is my favorite. I know I've been prodded about being obsessed with metal thickness of the chamber walls, but, to me, it's a real factor sometimes cooking in ambient temps that are 50-60 degrees colder than southern climes with gusting winds.

To answer OP, I'd look at upgrading my current shirley to one with a warmer box. I've also been eyeing Lone Star Grillz with the warmer oven option directly above firebox. It looks like a simple and elegant solution compared to the slow cooking cabinet on the far side for a traditional flow. I like the choice of having smaller cooks and not using quite as much wood if I'm doing just a single cut of meat

BillN
06-10-2017, 11:38 AM
I considered this when I bought my Offset with warmer. I considered it would be the last cooker I would need to purchase, I can burn wood as I have a lifetime of mesquite on my property (just have to work for it). I can smoke, BBQ, grill and bake from 200 to 700 degrees in the warmer. Only difficult aspect is it is difficult to move (reason to have a trailer mount).

Baby Back Maniac
06-11-2017, 07:47 PM
To answer OP, I'd look at upgrading my current shirley to one with a warmer box. I've also been eyeing Lone Star Grillz with the warmer oven option directly above firebox. It looks like a simple and elegant solution compared to the slow cooking cabinet on the far side for a traditional flow. I like the choice of having smaller cooks and not using quite as much wood if I'm doing just a single cut of meat

I like that too. I even ordered one a couple years ago but changed my mind during the 6 month wait when the job situation looked questionable on the horizon. It looks like a cool feature.

Notorious Q.U.E.
06-11-2017, 08:54 PM
I like that too. I even ordered one a couple years ago but changed my mind during the 6 month wait when the job situation looked questionable on the horizon. It looks like a cool feature.

Great minds think alike! I feel like a lot of rigs can do tons of meat well. I feel like the option of going small is a big step up, ironically.

If I go Shirley, I would probably request a baffle block plate to be fabricated so the heat is radiated upward. I'm not sure if LSG offers a baffle block plate. Imagine how efficient it would be if I was just cooking a brisket and a side dish to be able to block the main chamber and strictly cook inside just the warmer. Nice touch. Now, the hard part is convincing the better half to let me loose!!

mbshop
06-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Regular old boring 22 weber kettle. Easily does it all and easily moved of transported. With care it will last a lifetime.

redhawk
06-12-2017, 12:33 PM
So instead of fixing or replacing the Egg, I bought a 22.5" Kettle, an 18" WSM, and then a rotisserie for the kettle. All of that cost me less than $500 buying it new (I did get the WSM on sale), and there's no ceramics to fail, and I've got a TON more cooking space, and I can take them with me somewhere if I wanted. Plus the two-zone fire ability of the kettle is a nice feature the Egg didn't have.

Anyhow. Cost is always a factor. And IMO, if you want the ultimate in versatility, but don't have $700+ to spend, my vote is a kettle and a WSM. I know, that's two cookers, not one, but the cost is less than a single komado and you can do everything you might want to do.

This is what I tell people all the time. Best bang for your buck and you can do almost any kind of cooking you would ever need to do. A Weber Performer and 22 WSM is $800 and will be everything you would ever need for years.

SmittyJonz
06-12-2017, 12:42 PM
I say Assassin Charcoal Grill - even tho I ain't got one. Even with shipping its half price of a Good Kamado.

SmittyJonz
06-12-2017, 12:44 PM
This is what I tell people all the time. Best bang for your buck and you can do almost any kind of cooking you would ever need to do. A Weber Performer and 22 WSM is $800 and will be everything you would ever need for years.

That's 2 cookers where I come from.....OP said if could only have 1.......now a Kettle with a SmokeEZ or a Cajun Bandit I would consider as 1 cooker........

dgaddis1
06-12-2017, 01:45 PM
That's 2 cookers where I come from.....OP said if could only have 1.......now a Kettle with a SmokeEZ or a Cajun Bandit I would consider as 1 cooker........

Yeah, but when people ask about having 'one' cooker the first question you should ask them is if they only want one because of space limitations or to keep the budget within a certain amount? Because if budget is the limiting factor, not space or something else, you can get two Webers for less than the price of 1 really fancy grill/smoker/komado/etc.

lastmajordude
06-12-2017, 03:00 PM
Hard to even consider the thought

One of the most horrible thoughts EVAAAAHHHH!!!!!!

Why would you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baby Back Maniac
06-13-2017, 03:17 PM
Yeah, but when people ask about having 'one' cooker the first question you should ask them is if they only want one because of space limitations or to keep the budget within a certain amount? Because if budget is the limiting factor, not space or something else, you can get two Webers for less than the price of 1 really fancy grill/smoker/komado/etc.

Yeah, you'll never find a better value than a Weber kettle.

Big Swole
06-13-2017, 09:11 PM
Keep up the good work Jesse!!

lol

Baby Back Maniac
06-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Keep up the good work Jesse!!

lol

Thanks, Conner! lol

redhawk
06-15-2017, 01:31 PM

This right here. Not like a WSM and a kettle takes up much room either. For $800 you have the best of both worlds at less than 1/2 the money needed for a kamado with table.

pitbossJB
06-15-2017, 04:43 PM
For me it's a UDS with the 007 mods, truely the "swiss army knife" of cookers.

Baby Back Maniac
06-16-2017, 02:00 PM
This right here. Not like a WSM and a kettle takes up much room either. For $800 you have the best of both worlds at less than 1/2 the money needed for a kamado with table.

Yeah, this is the debate that has gone on for years between kettle and kamado owners.

m-fine
06-16-2017, 02:43 PM
Yeah, this is the debate that has gone on for years between kettle and kamado owners.

For $499 you can have a Pit Boss Kamado with side tables that does better in Western NY winters than a kettle or WSM. With the $300 leftover you can build a UDS and add a Blackstone griddle for a very capable outdoor cooking setup.

If you take away the single device rule, the options expand exponentially.

Whisky
06-16-2017, 02:52 PM
One outdoor cooker only?? Easy decision.

24" kamado style of some flavor (I have an XL BGE)

Sea Rover
06-16-2017, 10:52 PM
Jambo J-3

lign
06-16-2017, 11:32 PM
Weber Performer. I'd sure hate to give up my 40" Masterbuilt Electric though, especially with all it's mods and extras. I'd eat a lot less barbecue...

SmittyJonz
07-01-2017, 02:17 PM
I might choose this as an only cooker......

Broil King Keg - YouTube

less than Half the Price of the Super Weber........

darita
07-01-2017, 03:13 PM
Probably hard to beat the Kamado/Kettle options but I might throw a good Pellet Cooker in there as well. Mac

Gotta agree with the Mac. I have Primo, but the Mac is great for long cooks. I know, I know...