PDA

View Full Version : Pellet info.

FreeDivr
06-07-2017, 11:38 PM
As I patiently wait for my Yoder YS640 to be built and shipped I have been looking at all kinds of pellets and reviews/opinions vary like anything else. I have a bag of BBQ delight hickory and apple on the way and look forward to trying different brands and blends. Question, and I know answers will vary but I love to hear from folks..what type of wood (not as concerned about brand) do you find you like in you pellet smokers and why. Do you find much difference in species of tree or blends? It's late and I'm thinking about BBQ so here's what's on my mind Lol, pellets.

Stlsportster
06-07-2017, 11:55 PM
These were my go to pellets. Still use the perfect mix when I cold smoke.

CookinPellets 40H Hickory Smoking Pellets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HEYVS2O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=bb03020-20&linkId=d8d65fc27a9ebbda3ea577dc36d1f4aa

CookinPellets 40PM Perfect Mix Smoking Pellets Amazon.com : CookinPellets 40PM Perfect Mix Smoking Pellets : Outdoor Grilling Pellets : Patio, Lawn & Garden

AZRaptor
06-08-2017, 01:40 AM
These were my go to pellets. Still use the perfect mix when I cold smoke.

CookinPellets 40H Hickory Smoking Pellets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HEYVS2O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_pHnozbXPHBTWX

CookinPellets 40PM Perfect Mix Smoking Pellets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00819OICI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_TJnozbT01CZ0C

These are what I have been using for the past year or so and had good results. I had no complaints about either type, but I just picked up 400lbs of Smoke Ring pellets (Cherry, Oak, Maple and Maple/Hickory/Cherry blend) locally for a good price so I won't be ordering these for a while.

As for flavor, I don't have the most refined palate so most of the time it seems to be a "wood is wood" type of thing for me. Not much differentiation in flavor based on wood types but I still try to stick to using things like fruit wood on chicken, a mix on pork and stronger woods on beef in case others can pick up the flavor differences.

Free Mr. Tony
06-08-2017, 05:05 AM
I've been pellet cooking for many years, and I couldn't tell you what was in the hopper for at least the last 3. Maybe more. Grab a bag, and toss them in. I mostly use lumberjack because I can buy them in bulk for a good price. If I see Somerset at tractor supply, I will usually buy a few bags of those too.

Some blends do burn differently. Maybe run a little hot, a little cool, or a bit ashy. It never makes all that much different in the end product in my opinion.

mattmountz94
06-08-2017, 05:10 AM
I've been pellet cooking for many years, and I couldn't tell you what was in the hopper for at least the last 3. Maybe more. Grab a bag, and toss them in. I mostly use lumberjack because I can buy them in bulk for a good price. If I see Somerset at tractor supply, I will usually buy a few bags of those too.

I almost have to agree here. I try to act like i know what is in the hopper but i honestly get confused on what i last dumped in. I try to use 100% hickory for brisket and everything else i use whatever. I really can't taste the difference between flavors. Maybe this weekend i will experiment and see if i can pinpoint which was smoked with what wood, my bet is no.

I also use lumberjack as i buy in bulk

gtsum
06-08-2017, 05:18 AM
I've used bbq delight hickory and mesquite and cookinpellets hickory so far. The cookinpellets hickory gave more smoke and more smoke flavor than bbq delight. I have a couple bags of lumberjack hickory here to try. Once I do that, I'll order a pallet of whichever I like best (I'm betting lumberjack hickory or cookinpellets hickory). Wasn't too impressed with smoke flavor with bbq delight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hittman
06-08-2017, 05:28 AM
I use B&B and Lumberjack. Both seem to do a good job in my 640. On brisket I use a mixture of hickory and mesquite. Every thing else I have used apple, cherry, pecan and hickory. Like stated above, besides the mesquite I can't really tell much of a difference in the others.

MisterChrister
06-08-2017, 05:51 AM
I don't have a pellet grill, but I use cookin pellets perfect mix in my AMNPS for cold smoking also. Of course, it's a no-brainer for me since I can pick up a bag REALLY cheap in person, since they don't have to pay shipping.

cpw
06-08-2017, 08:04 AM
My local walmart just started carrying B & B hickory, so that's what I've been using for the last several months. Before that it was Lumber jack or cookin' pellets. Haven't really noticed a huge difference in flavor. But I do recall one of the flavors of LumberJack producing a TON of ash.

LYU370
06-08-2017, 08:13 AM
Haven't really noticed a huge difference in flavor. But I do recall one of the flavors of LumberJack producing a TON of ash.
Lumberjack OHC is my guess, lots of ash, only variety I won't use. I've been using the MHC blend, but picked up some 100% Maple when I got the last batch. I think something with cherry tends to give foods a nicer redder color.

Free Mr. Tony
06-08-2017, 08:23 AM
Something to consider as well is that alot of these pellets are just re-branded versions of the identical product. I have not kept up on what's what in the last couple years, but I know that alot of the grill manufacturers and big box store brands are just re-branded so and so.

sleebus.jones
06-08-2017, 08:35 AM
I wouldn't get too hung up on pellet types as others above have mentioned. Stuff like the B&B pellets that come in apple, cherry, hickory and pecan are blends, 70% oak and 30% flavorwood. Only folks like Lumberjack and similar do 100% flavorwood...and then you get to pay the premium for it. I've been running Pit Boss Competition blend lately (mainly because was able to get 40# bags on clearance for $1/ea!) and I've been really happy with it. Sweet smelling smoke and the food cooks well with it. My suggestion would be to use whatever's cheapest.

FreeDivr
06-08-2017, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the responses folks, the consensus it seems is that flavor profile may not be too much of an issue. Watch for heavy ash, get what's local and affordable.

Al_T
06-08-2017, 08:42 AM
I have used several differentry brands and because I can get the B&B local that is what I buy. The oak or mesquite. Both make good smoke and have a good flavor profile. I can even pick them up now at my local HEB grocery store.

tom b
06-08-2017, 09:29 AM
I have used may different brands and do not notice much difference if any. I have been using the cooking pellets lately. Better price and more convenient that what I can source locally

Yendor
06-08-2017, 09:35 AM
I will say this, after having a pellet grill for about 6 years I've noticed that the pellet that gives me the most smoke is 100% hickory. Right now I have 1/3 pallet of Lumberjack Hickory. It burns well and gets the job done, not too much ash.

LYU370
06-08-2017, 09:45 AM
The only brand I wouldn't get is Traeger. Not sure if it's still the case, but a while back their "Hickory" pellets had no actual hickory in them. They added a "hickory oil" to the oak pellets. I think there was another variety besides the hickory that they did that to.

Jrogers84
06-08-2017, 10:02 AM
I tried treger becuase my kroger had a box on manager special. didnt notice a difference from B & B but i surely wouldnt pay the asking price for them.....expensive!

Bacchus2b
06-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Traeger - Bought two bags in a moment of weakness at Costco. No flavor at all. Currently feeding my outdoor fire pit.

Cookin' Pellets - Figured if they were 100% Hickory it would be stronger in smoke flavor, NOT! Currently feeding my fire pit, and a 40 lb bag goes a long way! These are really long, and I could see some folks having auger issues.

BBQ Delight - Love mixing Cherry and Hickory, gives me a great color and smoke ring. No complaints!

Cookshack - Great results from Hickory and Pecan, no complaints!

Frales
06-08-2017, 08:07 PM
I have tried them all and can't tell much of a difference. The bbq delight pellets got a lot of raves a few years ago then I read on some forums that B&B pellets were rebagged bbq delight for academy sports. I have a academy sports close and B&B are cheap there so that's what I burn. After a few years of worrying about pellets I learned most of my energy should be on the food preps, seasonings & cooking process. Grab some pellets and spend your time learning how to cook on your pit. Just my 2 cents! Enjoy the journey!