PDA

View Full Version : Would you cook this brisket?

blazinfire
06-07-2017, 10:33 PM
Hey everyone! So I had purchased 2 briskets marked down with a yellow tag at walmart the night before the sell by date (Last week). As soon as I got home I threw them in the freezer.

I threw them in the fridge Sunday night. Monday night I checked them realized that one of the packages became loose. It wasn't a tight cryo like the other one. Here's my threads on the concerns (http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247468)

So Tomorrow is my cook day I just let the briskets set until today. Checked them again they were still mostly frozen. So knowing that water was getting into the brisket with the loose cryo I cut it open and decided to go ahead and trim/prep my briskets tonight.

The brisket looked like this
http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/blazinfire11/IMG_0517_zpsyvvjaker.jpg

I was concerned with the color on the edges and how the meat looked. The meat passes the smell test. The brisket that had the tight cryo had a stronger beef smell than this thing.

So I decided to trim the living crap out of this brisket and now I'm hoping the color is just from "wet aging" of the beef
http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/blazinfire11/IMG_0520_zpsrvluowkp.jpg

So now the question is.. Would you cook and serve this brisket? Like I said smell test was good. It had no foul odor at all. Just smelled like a chunk of beef.

Smokesignalsfromtx
06-07-2017, 10:53 PM
You'd know if it was rotten. Most of the briskets I buy have the brown edge and I was told it was "saw markings". I always trim off any brown and roll with it. If it doesn't smell rotten I think you'll be fine.

dannypat21
06-07-2017, 10:59 PM
If it passes the smell test I would cook it for sure. I had a bad brisket and the smell was very intense and did not dissipate at all after being rinsed and sitting out for over a half hour.

blazinfire
06-07-2017, 11:02 PM
If it passes the smell test I would cook it for sure. I had a bad brisket and the smell was very intense and did not dissipate at all after being rinsed and sitting out for over a half hour.

Well I know it has no rotten smell to it. It does have a heavier beef smell than normal. I'm going for it. I just wanted 2nd opinions before I went through with this cook.

After trimming you can see it looks like a great hunk of meat.

SmittyJonz
06-07-2017, 11:06 PM
I'd cook it.

blazinfire
06-07-2017, 11:13 PM
I'd cook it.

But would you serve it? HA I'd eat things far beyond what I would serve other people.

bbeavers
06-07-2017, 11:41 PM
Looks ok trimmed and if it passes the smell test, you should be good. The smoke and heat will obviously kill bacteria.

Rusty Kettle
06-07-2017, 11:48 PM
I had same thing happen to me last weekend. Trust me you will know it when one goes bad. I about puked when I cut it open. I had wet aged it but when it was thawing the cryo must have had a rip in it. I didn't notice and well I opened the fridge and it was like being punched in the face by an angry stinky monkey. :(
You will know when it is bad.
If in doubt you are better to throw it out. Only you can make that judgement call. I would cook it but that's me. Now would I serve it to other people? Hell no. Why? I would not want to get a bad rep. Food safety is a number one concern. Never risk making others sick. Always trust your gut. If you want to risk it maybe freeze it and cook it for yourself later. Get a New one for your guests. That way they are safe and you can try it if you want to try it. Its your call.

pjtexas1
06-07-2017, 11:49 PM
If the cryo was tight at purchase it should be good. The only time I've had issues was when it was frozen for 2 years with a leak in the cryo. It was the color of yours but the color was deep into the brisket. It wasn't bad just didn't have the flavor of the one I bought that day.

blazinfire
06-07-2017, 11:58 PM
I had same thing happen to me last weekend. Trust me you will know it when one goes bad. I about puked when I cut it open. I had wet aged it but when it was thawing the cryo must have had a rip in it. I didn't notice and well I opened the fridge and it was like being punched in the face by an angry stinky monkey. :(
You will know when it is bad.
If in doubt you are better to throw it out. Only you can make that judgement call. I would cook it but that's me. Now would I serve it to other people? Hell no. Why? I would not want to get a bad rep. Food safety is a number one concern. Never risk making others sick. Always trust your gut. If you want to risk it maybe freeze it and cook it for yourself later. Get a New one for your guests. That way they are safe and you can try it if you want to try it. Its your call.

Well I can't afford another brisket for my guests. But my gut is telling me its fine! The brisket trimmed up good and there's no foul smell at all. Nothing that would show signs of being bad.

It's not like I bought this brisket and wet aged it for weeks then froze it after buying it marked down with a yellow tag at walmart. I bought it LAST WEEK marked down, got home threw it in the freezer. So there's no way it could be bad by any means if you ask me. Just has a little aging color from being in walmart's cooler til the sell by date was the day after I purchased it.

Thanks guys for your opinions. Going for it in the morning! I'll do final smell tests and what not before putting a rub to it. I think it'll be fine!

ssv3
06-08-2017, 12:52 AM
Cook it up. It was only a little oxidation which you trimmed off. You'd smell it if it were bad.

mattmountz94
06-08-2017, 05:30 AM
I will start driving and be the taste tester to make sure you can serve it :grin:

Ron_L
06-08-2017, 06:21 AM
It's fine! As mentioned, it is just oxidation on the edges. 90% of the briskets I cook have that. Just trim it off as you did and no one will ever know.

4ever3
06-08-2017, 06:22 AM
The nose knows...

blazinfire
06-08-2017, 06:39 AM
The nose knows...

It's fine! As mentioned, it is just oxidation on the edges. 90% of the briskets I cook have that. Just trim it off as you did and no one will ever know.

It's 7:30 finally got the meat on. Slept in a little later than expected. Doesn't help when you go to bed at 4 a.m. and gotta be up at 6 to start cookin.

Anyways. I unwrapped both briskets from the plastic wrap. Smelled them both. They just smell like a piece of raw meat. So I'm good! Might make a post on the cook we'll see

fwdiii
06-08-2017, 09:15 AM

Yes....if it was bad, you would know it!!