PDA

View Full Version : PK Grill anyone?

tacodude
06-07-2017, 09:14 PM
Thinking about getting a PK grill, any feedback from the brethren? How are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmoothBoarBBQ
06-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Are you looking at the older model or the 360 model? I don't own one myself but the 360 is certainly on my list of "just for fun" BBQ stuff. I have seen both in person quite a few times at BBQ conventions and competitions and they are well built, long lasting, little grills. Meathead gives both models his "Gold seal of approval" so that's always a plus.

Not sure if I helped but I'm certainly enthusiastic about them and would love to hear some feedback from the brethren as well.

LYU370
06-07-2017, 09:50 PM
They win a lot of SCA comps. Probably because almost everyone uses them.

Frales
06-07-2017, 10:22 PM
I have one and have only used it for grilling so far but am really happy with it. It's a tank and I'm sure it will last a long time. For the last 15 years or so I've primarily used my pellet poppers but started missing charcoal and direct heat for grilling. I compared ceramics to the Pk and am sure I would be happy with either but the tipping point for me was the portable aspect for my fishing outings. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer the best I can. I was actually a little disappointed when Home Depot started carrying them because I think they're unique and wanted them to stay small but couldn't be happier with it's performance.

Frales
06-07-2017, 10:38 PM
I do feel like I have the ribeyes nailed on it. I season them with Malcolm's AP rub then let sit for a while then lightly dust with Montreal seasoning then get the Pk really hot and do 2 minutes and turn and another 2 and flip and repeat. Oh yes then spray a little clarified butter on it.

revtor
06-08-2017, 08:34 AM
Ive got a PK (classic) and love it. It will maintain 275 for 2-3 hours with no problem, hands off. Very charcoal economical, the thick aluminum construction gets hot and stays hot, very steady. It's a bit small for smoking larger items (full brisket for ex., wouldnt really work.) But you can get both full length and half length second tier racks to increase the capacity a bit.

As far as hot and fast grilling, its a great classic charcoal grill. no issues there. Grill grates available for extreme sear marks if thats your thing.

My only gripe- wish it was a bit longer so I could get larger pieces of meat in there over indirect heat. No problem for my wife and I and a friend or two but beyond that and you just need more room.

As a weekday grill, or small smoker for a few people that doesn't require a big pile of wood to keep going, its a champ!

~Steve

SimcoBBQ
06-08-2017, 08:41 AM
I have a 360 and an original. really good grill , good 2 zone set up , very portable and should last forever. i wish they had a little more space , but i have 2 and several other grills/smokers so it hasn't been a problem

GloriB
06-08-2017, 08:57 AM
I have the 360 but for some reason I have trouble getting the temp. above 400. It is great for 2 zone cooking though.

SimcoBBQ
06-08-2017, 10:51 AM
I have the 360 but for some reason I have trouble getting the temp. above 400. It is great for 2 zone cooking though.

try using lump

Frales
06-08-2017, 07:52 PM
I have a 360 and an original. really good grill , good 2 zone set up , very portable and should last forever. i wish they had a little more space , but i have 2 and several other grills/smokers so it hasn't been a problem

It's my understanding that a new and bigger Pk than the 360 is coming out in the future which I think would be smart. That way they have small, medium & large.

alecksjaycubs
06-09-2017, 08:16 AM

Any chance you have a pic of them side by side? I have a classic and am thinking about a 360 and was wondering just how much bigger the new one is.

GloriB
06-09-2017, 09:29 AM
try using lump

I've tried lump and briquettes. All the same outcome.

70monte
06-09-2017, 11:45 AM
I have both the classic and the 360 and they are both great grills. Great heat retention and don't use much fuel. They both should last pretty much forever. The only downside is that both are kind of small so smoking larger cuts of meat is not very easy. They are also both portable so that you can take them places.

While the cooking grate area is not much bigger on the 360 compared to the classic, the lid sits up higher so that cooking taller meats is much easier.

Wayne

stepheneleven
06-09-2017, 03:16 PM
It's my understanding that a new and bigger Pk than the 360 is coming out in the future which I think would be smart. That way they have small, medium & large.

I'll be interested in the large. Any time frame rumors?

Deebo
06-09-2017, 03:35 PM

If that happens, I'm definitely adding one to the collection.

SmokerKing
06-09-2017, 03:47 PM
I like them, need something bigger for me though

Frales
06-09-2017, 04:20 PM
I'll be interested in the large. Any time frame rumors?

One of the post I remember came from this site which got me thinking about waiting for the largest one that was rumored on a few different forums. You can find it on using the search engine below. I think it was on page one of the thread.

Anyway I called Pk last November and the only info I got was exciting things are coming for the future but I know things take time and guessed that the 360 would have to be a hit for them to create a larger one. I know my pellet popper well for smoking so I went ahead and got the 360 for grilling which i'm glad I did now.

Mikhail
06-09-2017, 05:39 PM
I have an original and love it. I have the upper rack and can easily smoke a 14 lb packer. I tend to feed a smaller group, so the size works well and everything I have made came out great, whether smoking or grilling.

I love things that last forever. I fully expect my grandchildren will inherit this grill after my daughter is done with it.