PDA

View Full Version : Broke in the new rotisserie

dgaddis1
06-07-2017, 10:02 AM
After thinking about getting one for a while I pulled the trigger on the Weber rotisserie for the kettle last week, and used it for the first time last night. Took a pork loin, folded it in half, tied it up, rubbed with Hardcore Carnivore Red, and spun it at 400*F directly over the coals for half an hour. A few pieces of hickory for smoke.

Turned out AWESOME! And I only managed to burn myself with the spit once!

http://i.imgur.com/8m3GSzXh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hUeBrOWh.jpg

After finishing the cook I wondered how well I could put the fire out with the rotisserie ring in place - it's got two holes in it for the spit. Thankfully with all the other vents closed it choked off enough air to put out the fire and I've still got lotsa lump left to burn on the next cook.

Stingerhook
06-07-2017, 11:20 AM
Looks like a good break in.

THoey1963
06-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Looks tasty! What temp did you go to? Like the smoke ring...

dgaddis1
06-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Looks tasty! What temp did you go to? Like the smoke ring...

Not exactly sure. Being my first cook I kinda winged it, I put the spit on, set a timer for half an hour, and didn't check it until the timer went off. When the timer did go off, I turned off the spit and check the IT, and once I saw it was over 165*F I pulled it off, before the thermometer stopped going up. I'm guessing it went to 175*F maybe 180*F.

Next time I'll check on it after 20mins.

Also, I really need to get a thermapen. In fact, I'm going to order one now...

cowgirl
06-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Looks great!

THoey1963
06-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Not exactly sure. Being my first cook I kinda winged it, I put the spit on, set a timer for half an hour, and didn't check it until the timer went off. When the timer did go off, I turned off the spit and check the IT, and once I saw it was over 165*F I pulled it off, before the thermometer stopped going up. I'm guessing it went to 175*F maybe 180*F.

Next time I'll check on it after 20mins.

Also, I really need to get a thermapen. In fact, I'm going to order one now...

There you go. Looked a little "white" to me, but was not sure if that is how you like it. I prefer to cook to 135* and let them rest to 140+.

JeffJ
06-07-2017, 02:54 PM
Nice job! I've only done turkey with mine but I really liked the results. I may have to start using it more often, especially on weekend cooks where I have more time for set up.

Titch
06-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Great way to cook mate,looks pretty good from here

dadsr4
06-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Excellent! People have cooked on rotisserie's for centuries with that same basic setup. All the new fangled inventions don't add a thing-meat, a spit, and natural heat source.
For future use, after you establish the coal base, you can run on small wood splits added every 45 minutes or so, if you wish to step things up a bit. I've started to do this on all my kettle rotisserie cooks.

jsperk
06-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Nice, good way to break it in.

CraigC
06-08-2017, 04:20 AM
Love my rotisserie! I've done chickens and duck, but my favorite was a whole beef knuckle. Had many a meal off that knuckle. Everyone loved it. Never done any pork as I prefer my other cookers for it.