PDA

View Full Version : Soft Shell Crabs

LYU370
06-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Who can tell me about them? Sounds like the season is starting. How do you cook them? How do you eat them? No deep fryer, can you grill them? Or should I just fly out to Maryland? :-D

Hankdad1
06-07-2017, 01:13 AM
Who can tell me about them? Sounds like the season is starting. How do you cook them? How do you eat them? No deep fryer, can you grill them? Or should I just fly out to Maryland? :-D
:pop2:

CraigC
06-07-2017, 04:09 AM

I usually lightly dredge them in flour, shake off the excess, pan saute them in butter and make a CLT sandwich. This simple prep allows the crab to shine without heavy spices masking the flavor. You're gonna pay enough for them, so you want to get the most out of them! You can also prep them the same way and make a Po'Boy using remoulade sauce instead of plain mayo.

mjpmap
06-07-2017, 05:46 AM
I usually lightly dredge them in flour, shake off the excess, pan saute them in butter and make a CLT sandwich. This simple prep allows the crab to shine without heavy spices masking the flavor. You're gonna pay enough for them, so you want to get the most out of them! You can also prep them the same way and make a Po'Boy using remoulade sauce instead of plain mayo.

Totally agree with this! I like putting them on a good quality onion roll. Easily my favorite sandwich.

DrewZ
06-07-2017, 06:07 AM

I recently grilled some with nothing but a sprinkle of Old Bay. Here's the cook thread. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246471

They came out tasty, and I'd definitely do it again.

Here's the Serious Eats guide to cleaning the little buggers:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/how-to-clean-soft-shell-crabs.html

cholloway
06-07-2017, 06:52 AM
Whichever way you cook them, start them out upside down so the legs and claws open out and look pretty!

Badgerjacob
06-07-2017, 07:12 AM
Crabs on the grill.

https://www.facebook.com/boathousesmokers/photos/a.684923314906782.1073741827.676305765768537/1069061569826286/?type=3&theater

daninnewjersey
06-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Simple is best.....saute in butter....then enjoy.

Fishhook
06-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Lift each side of the shell and remove the lungs, they are not good to eat. Wet the crab with a little egg/milk mix (about the same as for french toast) then dredge in flour, old bay mix (about 1 part old bay to 3 parts flour). then plop them down into a hot pan with some butter, brown them up on each side and enjoy! Great on a sandwich or great on a plate with some sides...some like tarter, some like cocktail sauce and some like them straight with a little lemon juice squeeze.

zippy12
06-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Living on the VB coastline I think SS crabs are over rated. You are better off with:

Fresh NC Shrimp (flavor is the best)
VA and NC oysters!
and CT lobsters (sell for 3-4.00lb this time of year)

ehs5mw
06-07-2017, 08:10 AM
Living on the VB coastline I think SS crabs are over rated. You are better off with:

VA and NC oysters!

I love all of the things you mentioned, but soft shell crabs are my absolute favorite food.

I agree that simple is best, and you MUST clean them properly, or it will make the whole crab taste off. You don't need much oil if you do choose to fry them, so you can use any pan with a short side that will hold some oil. I don't like to use a very heavy batter (think fried chicken) on ss crabs, because they really shine with a light breading. Sautéed or grilled can be great, too. I suggest you try them a few different ways and see what you like best.

gcs
06-07-2017, 08:13 AM
They are an acquired taste, I can get all I want for free but probably only eat them twice per year. Don't get me wrong , they're good, but it's more of an appearance thing for a lot of people.
That said, stick with the smaller ones, clean out the lungs, stomach and cut off the face parts.
dredge in seasoned flour, or not, and saute in butter till the top shell is red. Hide it in a sandwich, add mayo if you like and enjoy. The grilling method sounds interesting too.

Smoker34
06-07-2017, 08:58 AM
144561One of my favorites! Lightly season with salt and pepper. Grill over medium direct heat about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Serve on a plate next to a dip as follows:

Mayonnaise
salt
pepper
lime juice (more than you'd think)
capers
sprinkle lime zest over dip

Enjoy

drallan81
06-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Agree with others on light breading (no egg or milk wash). Make sure to clean out lungs, cut off face and cut off apron on the underside. I prefer "House Autry" breading to plain flour. The season how you like w/ SPOG and Old Bay. Get some butter/oil melted in a pan, throw in some diced up garlic. Add your crab(s) I start them upside down. It kinda freezes them into shape for nicer presentation. Can also just straight broil/grill w/ no breading just some light seasoning.

Marylander here. Part time spongebob squarepants at a crab shack on the weekends. Don't over think it, over season it, over do it. A little tartar and some lemon wedge and you are good to go.

LYU370
06-07-2017, 12:59 PM
I assume you eat the whole thing, legs, claws & all? How crunchy are they?

THoey1963
06-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Only had them once at a restaurant in New Orleans. Think of them as Lay's chip crispy if the are fresh and lightly breaded right. Oh, and yeah, you eat it all...

Smoker34
06-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Eat the whole thing; the crunchier the better. I really think they're best without any flour or other type of coating.

cowgirl
06-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Y'all are making me hungry. Sounds great! :-D

Victory
06-07-2017, 01:39 PM
start with a live crab, never frozen. take scissors and cut out the lungs, face and guts.

throw in an egg wash and dredge in flour seasoned with old bay. sautee in cast iron pan with some oil and butter. throw on a couple slices of lightly toasted homemade white bread with some tomato slices and mayo.

they are good unfloured and sautee in butter or grilled too, but for a sandwich, floured and fried is best.

fried softcrab sandwich is easily one of my favorite foods. have some fresh picked steamed corn on the cob to go along with it.

CraigC
06-07-2017, 02:47 PM
Lift each side of the shell and remove the lungs, they are not good to eat. Wet the crab with a little egg/milk mix (about the same as for french toast) then dredge in flour, old bay mix (about 1 part old bay to 3 parts flour). then plop them down into a hot pan with some butter, brown them up on each side and enjoy! Great on a sandwich or great on a plate with some sides...some like tarter, some like cocktail sauce and some like them straight with a little lemon juice squeeze.

Old bay is for hard shell, steamed crab. If they have to purchase prepackaged soft shells, they will come already cleaned. Beside the lungs/gills, you have to cut out the "face", if you are living somewhere to be able to get "live".

CraigC
06-07-2017, 02:53 PM
start with a live crab, never frozen. take scissors and cut out the lungs, face and guts.

throw in an egg wash and dredge in flour seasoned with old bay. sautee in cast iron pan with some oil and butter. throw on a couple slices of lightly toasted homemade white bread with some tomato slices and mayo.

they are good unfloured and sautee in butter or grilled too, but for a sandwich, floured and fried is best.

fried softcrab sandwich is easily one of my favorite foods. have some fresh picked steamed corn on the cob to go along with it.

The OP lives in the "Land Of Lincoln", the chance of being able to get "live", without being filthy rich, is probably "0".

Gore
06-07-2017, 03:15 PM
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/bigabyte/Throwdowns_2011/Week11_Crustaceans/1577299_ecode.jpg

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1577299

THoey1963
06-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Damn Gore, that looks delicious...

newtwoq
06-07-2017, 03:50 PM

VA and NC oysters!

I agree SS are over rated, I would much rather wait for them to harden back up and steam them. I am a big fan of NC Shrimp, VA oysters, fresh Rocks, Spanish, and Cobia! We are spoiled around here!

TopC
06-07-2017, 05:07 PM
I like a little Bay Seasoning in the flour- lightly flour, then sauté in butter.

Gore
06-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Damn Gore, that looks delicious...

I'll be sure to tell my wife. Thanks!

bwram1
06-08-2017, 01:02 AM
Someone gave me 2 dozen fresh ss crabs back maybe 17-18 years ago. I took them home, looked at them...then tossed them and took the wife to nice seafood restaurant. 😀

Titch
06-08-2017, 03:49 AM
My wife loves Stir Fried soft shell Crab