PDA

View Full Version : Sold a smoker looking for something different help please

sackedbysapp
06-06-2017, 07:12 PM
Sold a reverse flow stick burner, want to get something that doesnt require that much tending but still use coals and wood chunks.Was going to give the pit barrel a try but came across a 55 gal gate way drum used 3 times only for $700 painted black. Im use to cooking around 275, what can i expect from both and whats the better choice.Cant find a whole lot of info on the gateway like the pit barrel. And Im not interested in building my own, id like to just not very handy.Thanks for your help.

Ron_L
06-06-2017, 07:15 PM
Both are great cookers! The Pitbarrel is smaller, of course, and is basically set to cook at one temp. Yeah, you can mess with the intake, but it is designed so that you don't need to. Mine typically runs at 275-ish.

The Gateway is a top of the line drum and, of course, is bigger, so you have more capacity. You have full control over the temps and can cook on the grate or hanging

sackedbysapp
06-06-2017, 07:22 PM
Can you hang other meats in the gateway besides ribs?and should I get the diffuser plate they offer?

KevinJ
06-06-2017, 07:24 PM
If the Gateway comes with a Hanging Rack and a Diffuser I'd jump on it, if it comes with just one grate I wouldn't pay more than $600 and it better look brand new, well it better look brand new anyways. PBC's are nice cookers but they don't have the capacity or temp control of a well made drum.

sackedbysapp
06-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Comes with just the grate.

Full Throttle
06-06-2017, 09:51 PM
Both are great cookers! The Pitbarrel is smaller, of course, and is basically set to cook at one temp. Yeah, you can mess with the intake, but it is designed so that you don't need to. Mine typically runs at 275-ish.

The Gateway is a top of the line drum and, of course, is bigger, so you have more capacity. You have full control over the temps and can cook on the grate or hanging

Surprised to see you recommending the Gateway and not a Hunsaker. You not happy with your recent purchase? [emoji51]

mrbill
06-06-2017, 09:52 PM
if you want to use wood chunks and charcoal w/o having to build your own, a weber smokey mountain would be my suggestion. get one used, buy a pit controller and it's pretty much set it and forget it until done. i have an 18.5wsm and a pitmaster iq110. using it is as easy as filling the charcoal ring with briquettes and chunks, remove some from the center to put in a chimney starter. fire up a weber cube on the grate of a grill and place chimney over it. once chimney is going good, hook up the pitmaster and set dial to desired temp, dump chimney into void in charcoal ring, assemble and wait for the light on the pitmaster to show temp is steady and add meat. once that's done, it'll roll on it's own until the meat is done or more fuel is needed(which is easily added via the door). it's so easy it almost feels like cheating.

stepheneleven
06-07-2017, 07:01 AM
https://www.ironsidesmokers.com/

Don't have any personal experience with them yet but,

"A Fully Insulated Cabinet Smoker designed to run on straight wood or charcoal"

They are only 1.5 hours from me so I might go check them out on my way to Devil's Lake in a couple weeks. Based off of pics and videos they look very well built and big for the money compared to other cab smokers.

KevinJ
06-07-2017, 07:57 AM
Surprised to see you recommending the Gateway and not a Hunsaker. You not happy with your recent purchase? [emoji51]I know Ron is happy with his Drums, I own a Hunsaker as well and I'm extremely happy with it. I didn't mention Hunsaker's because the OP is asking about potentially buying a used Gateway, they are good Drums too.

If he was asking about purchasing a new Drum, I'm sure Ron would have recommended taking a look at the Hunsaker's, I know I would have, love cooking on my Drum.

Comes with just the grate.They're only $799 new shipped to your door, you can buy a Hunsaker without the Logo plate for $749 shipped. Like I said above I'd offer $600 if it's in great condition, if not I'd just buy new.

DaveAlvarado
06-07-2017, 09:29 AM
22" WSM, do not pass go, save $300.

It's "set it and forget it" easy.

daninnewjersey
06-07-2017, 10:09 AM
And Im not interested in building my own, id like to just not very handy.

If you're dead set against trying a UDS build, the WSM 22" is the ticket. They are about as set it and forget it as you can get and will cook a lot of food.

That being said, I'm FAR from being handy and I build 4 drums. No ball valves for airflow...just holes with magnets on them. If you go super basic, the build isn't hard at all.... Only mentioning that because you said you'd like to just not very handy....

Steve S
06-07-2017, 10:58 AM
+1 on the WSM

LTG
06-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Drum. Pick your brand. A used Gateway should go for 600-650 if still in excellent condition. Been there, done that with wsm's. Leaky door, they need a windblock in windy conditions due to the intake design, 3 piece design is a pain to transport, and I like having a charcoal basket that can just be dumped instead of the regular charcoal grate, the 18.5 grate you need as well so lump doesnt fall through, and the charcoal ring.

KevinJ
06-07-2017, 02:45 PM
Like LTG, cooked on a WSM for years, I'd much rather cook on a good Drum than a WSM. It was worth every penny buying the Hunsaker as far as I'm concerned and would do it again in a heart beat.

Victory
06-07-2017, 03:02 PM
have you checked craigslist for a new drum smoker?

may be someone local to you that makes them for sale. should be able to get one made for 250-300

KevinJ
06-07-2017, 04:26 PM
have you checked craigslist for a new drum smoker?

may be someone local to you that makes them for sale. should be able to get one made for 250-300It's not always about saving money for some, sometimes it's about getting what you want and what you'll be happy with, buy once cry once. Sometimes when compromising due to trying to save a buck you end up spending more in the long run because you are not happy with your original decision.

Gnolydnar
06-07-2017, 04:47 PM
PBC is a great and simple charcoal cooker. Easy to operate. Able to handle grilling, smoking and searing. For its size it can handle a lot. I've cooked 2 chickens and 6 racks of STL spares at once. Drums and WSMs are great but the price and versatility of the PBC can't be beat. I also like a kettle.

bucko
06-07-2017, 06:35 PM
Wsm would b my choice will last a life time

Nuco59
06-07-2017, 06:37 PM
I put a wheel kit on my old faithful UDS (modeled - ok "lifted")- from the Hunsaker. I love the mobility- turned it into the almost perfect cooker for me. Would not buy a wsm- but would use one if it wound up on my doorstep. UDS is the WSMs ugly cousin- who's just better at most things.

IamMadMan
06-07-2017, 07:15 PM
It's not always about saving money for some, sometimes it's about getting what you want and what you'll be happy with, buy once cry once. Sometimes when compromising due to trying to save a buck you end up spending more in the long run because you are not happy with your original decision.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/rwbarney/Food/agree_zpswu0x8pdt.gif

Separate you needs from your wants, then find a smoke that has your needs and maybe some of your wants.