PDA

View Full Version : MES 40 and AMNPS

Cre-B-Ce
06-06-2017, 09:30 AM
So I haven't logged in here in about 5 years. I changed professions and have a really screwed up schedule with very little free time. Don't get me wrong. I love being self employed now but it left me with almost zero time to enjoy any extra activities. Now that the businesses. Yes businesses, as in 3, are going well, I have decided that I'm going to start taking a little time for myself.

It's a bittersweet day as my beloved 85 gal UDS has made it's way to the curb this morning for trash pickup. It sat up so long that there was just too much rust to overcome.

My wife surprised me the other day with the Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker with Bluetooth. I was immediately shocked at the size of the chip tray and knew that would have to change. With a little research, I decided to order the AMNPS 5x8 pellet tray. My question is about placement. Most everything I can find is about cold smoking. For hot smoking, I'm assuming the best place would be on the bottom left. It should be far enough away from the element and protected from drippage by the water pan. Hopefully, I'll get to try it out this weekend.

MisterChrister
06-06-2017, 09:37 AM
Welocme home and glad for you that the dust has settled! Looking forward to seeing some cooks, if you get a chance!

Evil-g
06-06-2017, 09:42 AM
I know nothing of electric smokers but am sure others will soon chip in but wanted to say Welcome Back.

Jrogers84
06-06-2017, 10:07 AM
I put mine over the fire in my traeger. Their is a shield between the two and it burns a little bit faster but I figure if I go through the whole tray ive gotten enough smoke in that cook anyways. Youll have to play with it to find the best spot with airflow

Cre-B-Ce
06-06-2017, 02:41 PM
I'll start off with it in the bottom and see how it does. Worst case, I'll put it on the bottom grate all the way to one side.

worktogthr
06-09-2017, 08:41 AM
I have 2 MES30s and a AMNPS Tray for both. The layout of them is similar to your 40. I agree with you that the bottom left is the best place to put it. Some other tips about lighting the AMNPS:

1. Microwave your pellets for about a minute in a half
2. Load them in the tray
3. Use a torch (I use a cheapo butane torch from Harbor freight) to light one end of the maze for about 60 seconds
4. Set your timer for ten minutes and about every 2 minutes or so, blow into the start of the maze for as long a breath as you can to really get the pellets glowing at the start.
5. After the ten minutes, either blow it out or it may have gone out itself.
6. Let it smoke for a minute or so just to make sure its going good
7. Load it in the bottom left of your smoker with the lit part of the maze towards the back wall.

This may seem confusing and/or somewhat annoying (and at first it was for me) but it almost guarantees you 10-12 hours of perfect smoke.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the AMNPS lets off clean smoke, but it doesn't always look thin and blue like most smokers. It will be more white, but by no means should it be gray and billowing out of the vent.

Also, if you find that it is still going out mid smoke with this method, try leaving the chip tray pulled open about an inch.

Hope this helps!

Cre-B-Ce
06-09-2017, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the tips! I haven't been able to try it out yet. The weather has sucked here and it's killing me.

Jrogers84
06-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the tips! I haven't been able to try it out yet. The weather has sucked here and it's killing me.

Just put it in the kitchen :becky:

Cre-B-Ce
06-09-2017, 11:04 AM
Just put it in the kitchen :becky:

I wish! I normally have a covered gazebo but a storm came through and ripped the top off it. The new one hasn't come in yet.

Whisky
06-09-2017, 12:23 PM
I would go with the Masterbuilt cold smoker kit. My dad has one with his MES40 that I've used a couple times for sausage and it works ok. I know he uses it when he "hot smokes" meat also. Sometimes the chips get clogged up in there and you'll maybe have to get it a shake. Or try pellets instead of chips.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070112-Smoking-Digital-Smokers/dp/B008DF6WWE

Just read you already ordered the pellet tray. Never mind on the above. I don't have any experience with that other then watching my brother struggle to keep one going once while cooking ribs.

worktogthr
06-09-2017, 02:33 PM
I would go with the Masterbuilt cold smoker kit. My dad has one with his MES40 that I've used a couple times for sausage and it works ok. I know he uses it when he "hot smokes" meat also. Sometimes the chips get clogged up in there and you'll maybe have to get it a shake. Or try pellets instead of chips.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070112-Smoking-Digital-Smokers/dp/B008DF6WWE

Just read you already ordered the pellet tray. Never mind on the above. I don't have any experience with that other then watching my brother struggle to keep one going once while cooking ribs.

You are right...the tray can be a struggle, but once you figure out the best way to get it started, its one of the best gadgets available for the MES

Cre-B-Ce
06-09-2017, 02:59 PM
From what I've read, there seems to be a learning curve on keeping it lit. The biggest issue seems to be people not cracking the wood chip tray to get enough airflow. Hopefully I'll get a chance to break in the tray soon. I did a ham on it last week and the smoker worked great but the chip tray is so small it's pitiful.

worktogthr
06-10-2017, 06:08 AM
From what I've read, there seems to be a learning curve on keeping it lit. The biggest issue seems to be people not cracking the wood chip tray to get enough airflow. Hopefully I'll get a chance to break in the tray soon. I did a ham on it last week and the smoker worked great but the chip tray is so small it's pitiful.

Yeah, the trip tray is frustrating. Electric smokers are touted as being set and forget but that's not the case when you have to add chips every 20 minutes. Nothing is a absolute but the method posted above I learned on another forum and it has served me well over the past few years.

Cre-B-Ce
06-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Yeah, the trip tray is frustrating. Electric smokers are touted as being set and forget but that's not the case when you have to add chips every 20 minutes. Nothing is a absolute but the method posted above I learned on another forum and it has served me well over the past few years.

That's what aggravated me. My father has the MES 30 and it has a very large chip try. I was shocked to see the size that came with the 40.