PDA

View Full Version : Gaskets, Seals and Air vents

iStrikeBack
06-06-2017, 07:58 AM
So I'll break this out into two parts.

First, maybe I am missing something but why put an air vent on a firebox? why not just crack the door a hair? Does it really affect the draw? I just build a vertical smoker and I don't have a air vent and I was just planning on cracking the door, thoughts?

Second, Gaskets and seals. I need to add something to the cook chamber but the problem is it is pretty tight back at the hinges but It has a gap on the other side of the door. I thought about adding a gasket and hoping that I could "pinch" the hinge side enough to get a tight seal the whole way around.

Or I read about a guy that used hi temp gasket maker, he laid a heavy bead all around the door and then sprayed cooking spray on the door so it wouldn't stick and closed it so it molded to what he needed. Which do you think would be best?

Thanks Guys!

Nuco59
06-06-2017, 01:11 PM
Dialing an intake damper is more certain than "cracking a door open some". I have a vertical 24 x 24 x 48 tall. I *have* cracked the door on startup to get it more air- but only to get my coal bed established. I then go to a small hot fire- at that point I have my 5x5 intake wide open- never needed more to keep the fire going.

gaskets? Others will disagree- but think they are more trouble than they are worth. Folk get all anal about wisps of smoke "escaping" their door seals- totally ignoring the 5x5 smoke stack on top. I'm not saying you should have 1/4" gaps but if it's fairly tight- don't sweat it.

BillN
06-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Aaron Franklin builds his smokers for the business without intake vents. I usually keep my door open to some degree even though my intake is open. I like the clean clear exhaust. Yes I burn more fuel and yes I could have more smoke on the meat but I do what works for us. Agree with Nuco don't sweat the gaps unless you find you can't get temps up where you want them.

BillATL
06-06-2017, 01:55 PM
It seems to me it's really a matter of how you're managing your heat. If you're controlling the amount of heat by the amount of fuel available (how most people seem to run an offset) then there's no difference between opening the door or opening the intake.

But if you're managing your heat by the amount of oxygen available to the fire (how most people run an insulated cabinet or kamado) then there's excess fuel available but you need an easier way to dial in the amount of air coming in - hard to do with a swinging door.

BillN
06-06-2017, 02:24 PM
Here is an example of how I typically run my offset stick burner to produce the TBS/clear smoke I desire.

IXL
06-06-2017, 02:38 PM
A fire box door which is open to some degree, and an adjustable orifice anywhere in the door or other portion of the fire box, are both simply intake vents. Their method of operation is their only difference, aside from how much air can flow through each one.