PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Sauces

Piomarine
06-05-2017, 03:01 PM
I stumbled onto this article from the spruce that gave the recipes for 10 different finishing sauces for brisket. Some of them are fairly similar to each other but they all looked pretty good. I plan to try a couple of them this week before I leave for vacation.

https://www.thespruce.com/top-brisket-barbecue-sauce-recipes-333946

THoey1963
06-05-2017, 03:24 PM
You are supposed to put sauce on brisket???

bwram1
06-05-2017, 03:28 PM
I don't generally sauce brisket, whether on a plate or sammich. I did, however, eat some very average brisket that had a glaze on it that was pretty good. All I could get outta the guy was that it had Dr Pepper in it. I may go get another taste and try replicating it...

Ag76
06-05-2017, 03:32 PM
I like a good sauce. Thanks.

bbqwizard
06-05-2017, 03:34 PM
If I put sauce on a brisket, I generally like one that I made or Stubb's original. I like to try new things, so I may have to try some of these recipes. Thanks for posting!

Bob C Cue
06-05-2017, 04:01 PM
You are supposed to put sauce on brisket???

To borrow a phrase from Meathead, "if you do, the terrorists win."

Ag76
06-05-2017, 04:08 PM
This falls in the same category as not using lighter fluid. :-)

pjtexas1
06-05-2017, 05:41 PM
My uncle that taught me used to say "if you cook it right you don't need sauce".

I like a vinegar based sauce on leftover brisket.

Bob C Cue
06-05-2017, 05:47 PM
This falls in the same category as not using lighter fluid. :-)

Agree. While lighter fluid flavor is an ideal compliment to pork and poultry it really clashes with the taste of beef.

wihint
06-05-2017, 07:40 PM
The sauces look good to me. Next time I boil a brisket I will put some one before dropping it in the vat of luke warm water.
Just kidding thank you for the sauces my dry crappy brisket needs all of the help we can get.

ronbrad62
06-05-2017, 07:48 PM
I like the addition of sauce just to change things up a bit. I have, to be honest, ended up with briskets that the sauce was the best thing about it.

nmeyer414
06-05-2017, 07:52 PM
I will be trying mr jetton's sauce here in the next few days

OlyQ
06-05-2017, 07:58 PM
I used to make a vinager based sauce for brisket that had onions and bell peppers in it about 6 0r 7 years ago that was so gosh dang good but list the recipe for it . I 've cooked hundreds of pounds of brisket since then but I would still live to find that recipe to try again.

Jason TQ
06-05-2017, 08:02 PM
Ya brisket needs 50/50 au jus/sauce to make me eat more than a slice. Love a good sauce on brisket.

Piomarine
06-05-2017, 08:56 PM
I knew this would be a hotly contested issue being that around here there are some who are gunghoe about sauce and others who feel I should burn in the BBQ pits of hell at the mere utterance of the word. This thread was intended for any, like myself, who love BBQ and love brisket but will not scoff at the sparing use of sauce as enhancement or simply an extra dimension of flavor.

I too will be trying a couple of these at least!

wihint
06-05-2017, 09:11 PM
I knew this would be a hotly contested issue being that around here there are some who are gunghoe about sauce and others who feel I should burn in the BBQ pits of hell at the mere utterance of the word. This thread was intended for any, like myself, who love BBQ and love brisket but will not scoff at the sparing use of sauce as enhancement or simply an extra dimension of flavor.

I too will be trying a couple of these at least!

Brother I have made briskets that have been referred to as "that poor old nag, didn't know horse was legal in the states". Also that brisket was a juicy as a popcorn fart....not a good thing. Thank you for the ammo against a subpar brisket. :clap2:

frognot
06-05-2017, 10:52 PM
My wife makes killer brownies but will put a scoop of ice cream (preferably Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla) on them. They are great brownies that don't "need" ice cream.

Some folks are purists and some folks like that li'l something extra.

For me I like to mix Blues Hog Original with BH TN Red and my wife likes Head Country with brisket. I think my brisket is pretty decent and doesn't "need" sauce but there will be several sauce choices available.

Piomarine
06-06-2017, 12:08 AM
My wife makes killer brownies but will put a scoop of ice cream (preferably Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla) on them. They are great brownies that don't "need" ice cream.

Thanks frognot that is exactly the point I was trying to make!!!

Smokesignalsfromtx
06-06-2017, 07:13 AM
Mods, PLEASE don't lock my account for this, and I apologize in advance if I offend anyone, but as for me, I can't stand brisket. Not so much the flavor but I think it's a texture thing. So for me to eat it (which is generally one small bite before I spit it out) I have to drown it in sauce. I recently ordered some Spicewine sauce, and think it would be pretty awesome on brisket. Just sayn....

THoey1963
06-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Mods, PLEASE don't lock my account for this, and I apologize in advance if I offend anyone, but as for me, I can't stand brisket. Not so much the flavor but I think it's a texture thing. So for me to eat it (which is generally one small bite before I spit it out) I have to drown it in sauce. I recently ordered some Spicewine sauce, and think it would be pretty awesome on brisket. Just sayn....

I don't even know you any more... :shocked::mad::mad2:

Just kidding y'all. I won't make it with sauce on it, but I am not opposed to having sauce on the table for you if that's the way you like it.

Jrogers84
06-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Ive come to the conclusion that i dont.....uhhhh.....love brisket unless it REALLY good. And what I cook is far from REALLY good. Ill give anything a whirl :)

fwdiii
06-06-2017, 12:17 PM
I put sauce in a separate dish for those who prefer it.

Al_T
06-06-2017, 12:36 PM
Sauce for sure is condiment. I make a great barbecue sauce but rarely put it on anything because I still prefer the taste of good smoke meat over the taste of sauce on the meat. My two favorite BBQ Meats are beef short ribs and brisket. I will take either one but if I could only ever eat one beef barbecue in my life it's the beef short rib. To me it is like the point meet, nice, fatty, beefy, goodness. I generally can my sauces and I make 2 gallon batches when I make my sauce. This last weekend I cooked a 16 pound brisket and I did not even pull out any sauce. My family didn't even ask for sauce.

lcbateman3
06-06-2017, 01:04 PM
I put sauce in a separate dish for those who prefer it.

I do this as well.

I usually let meat stand on its own, but a good sauce can compliment a piece of meat as well. I just don't want my meat swimming in sauce. A light glaze or ribs, or maybe a sauce thinned out with au-jus spread lightly over a slice of brisket is great.

Now ketchup on steak is just a sin.

Yendor
06-06-2017, 01:51 PM
I guess no one here makes burnt ends from brisket anymore?

THoey1963
06-06-2017, 02:20 PM
And waste that good point meat? Never have made them...

Kikaida
06-06-2017, 02:22 PM
Does sauerkraut count as a sauce?:-P

Yendor
06-06-2017, 03:30 PM

You're missing out. Burnt ends are awesome!!!

cheez59
06-06-2017, 07:14 PM
I never sauce fresh brisket because to me it needs nothing just like a good steak. I smoked a 16-1/2 pound prime brisket, several racks of STL spares and a big venison roast for about 30 people last Saturday. I put 7 different sauces out right beside the meats and the only people who grabbed the sauce were a couple kids and one picky woman. I was actually surprised and quite proud. The brisket and ribs got wiped out and most of the venison roast.

Leftovers are another story. I almost always sauce leftover meat of any kind.
Blues Hog Tennessee Red is my go to sauce for leftovers.

Thanks for the recipes OP. I saved the link to try a couple of them.

frognot
06-07-2017, 03:04 AM

Terry, I'd never had burnt ends until last year's SoCal bash and Neil (Bigmista) made them (he uses the whole brisket, not just the point) and this old Texan learned something new about brisket. Have now made them three or four times hoping they could be half as good as Neil's. Gonna keep practicing and might make some at the Fall Texas bash. So hopefully you can join us in Belton and try some.

Cre-B-Ce
06-07-2017, 08:14 AM
I don't use sauce on a brisket. I'm not opposed to it. If someone wants sauce, so be it. I just don't think most sauces compliment beef very well.

THoey1963
06-07-2017, 12:51 PM
You're missing out. Burnt ends are awesome!!!

Terry, I'd never had burnt ends until last year's SoCal bash and Neil (Bigmista) made them (he uses the whole brisket, not just the point) and this old Texan learned something new about brisket. Have now made them three or four times hoping they could be half as good as Neil's. Gonna keep practicing and might make some at the Fall Texas bash. So hopefully you can join us in Belton and try some.

I might have to give them a try one day, but there is never enough point meat slices for me. I wish HEB would sell point muscles only like they sell flats. I'd cook an extra point for every brisket I make...

Piomarine
06-07-2017, 12:58 PM
I feel I need to clarify...these sauces I posted were NEVER intended to be cooked ONTO the brisket...inly drizzed on at the table as a condiment only.

I don't want anybody to be misconstrued and take my smoker away for thinking I sauce my brisket...that's heresy!!!

Yendor
06-07-2017, 02:42 PM
I feel I need to clarify...these sauces I posted were NEVER intended to be cooked ONTO the brisket...inly drizzed on at the table as a condiment only.

I don't want anybody to be misconstrued and take my smoker away for thinking I sauce my brisket...that's heresy!!!

You sound awful guilty. Of what, I don't know. You mop your brisket? That's sauce!

Nuco59
06-07-2017, 06:44 PM
A fella ought to be able to sauce the brisket he paid for and cooked without being shamed down the middle of main street while being pelted with rotten tomatoes.

*I* don't do it, of course- but it ought to be ok. :-D

Smokesignalsfromtx
06-07-2017, 10:57 PM
I like beans in my chili.....:becky::bolt:

Al_T
06-08-2017, 12:34 AM

Get a rope!:shock:

CraigC
06-08-2017, 04:09 AM
To offer sauce or not never comes up. I simply don't smoke brisket. My family doesn't like it smoked. I love it, but can't justify doing a whole packer for myself.

Yendor
06-08-2017, 09:41 AM
To offer sauce or not never comes up. I simply don't smoke brisket. My family doesn't like it smoked. I love it, but can't justify doing a whole packer for myself.

Why can't you justify that? "Here's your hot dogs. I'm going to eat 12 pounds of smoked brisket. Enjoy."

I have a vacuum sealer, smoked brisket freezes and doesn't last long in the freezer anyway. I'd do it twice a week if I had time.

Ag76
06-08-2017, 10:09 AM
I say smoke'em and eat'em like you and your family like'em. :-)

CraigC
06-08-2017, 10:50 AM
Why can't you justify that? "Here's your hot dogs. I'm going to eat 12 pounds of smoked brisket. Enjoy."

I have a vacuum sealer, smoked brisket freezes and doesn't last long in the freezer anyway. I'd do it twice a week if I had time.

If you aren't being sarcastic, it is because I'm not my A-Hole SIL and give a crap about what my family likes. Besides "Q" isn't something I do every chance I get. I indulge in many cuisines.:bow:

Yendor
06-08-2017, 12:09 PM
If you aren't being sarcastic, it is because I'm not my A-Hole SIL and give a crap about what my family likes. Besides "Q" isn't something I do every chance I get. I indulge in many cuisines.:bow:

I'm being a little sarcastic, just a little. Wanting to enjoy a meal yourself is neither selfish or being an a-hole. It doesn't have to be a weekly or monthly thing, but having a hankering for a nice home smoked brisket, do it. You can cook a lot of meals for the family while that thing gets ready for you.

It's the main reason I have 4 Weber kettles, 2 pellet grills and a large stick burner.

THoey1963
06-08-2017, 03:55 PM

Where is the unfriend button? :ban:

<whisper> I actually do to... A little, not a lot. The way Mom did it. Adds a different texture and makes the pot go farther.

:shock: