PDA

View Full Version : iVation wireless thermometer food probe

2002sheds
06-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Hi,
I have a recently purchased ivation wireless thermometer that gives the temperature of something (air around the meat?), but not the meat itself. The grill side thermometer/probe works fine. The food side reads a temperature that is lower than the grill, but way higher than the meat (I have been checking with an instant-read thermometer that is reliably accurate).
I have tried moving the probe several times, and also inserting more of the probe into the meet (being careful not to poke the end through), with no change.
I know I must be doing something wrong, but I cannot figure out what it is. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
David

Evil-g
06-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Hi,
I have a recently purchased ivation wireless thermometer that gives the temperature of something (air around the meat?), but not the meat itself. The grill side thermometer/probe works fine. The food side reads a temperature that is lower than the grill, but way higher than the meat (I have been checking with an instant-read thermometer that is reliably accurate).
I have tried moving the probe several times, and also inserting more of the probe into the meet (being careful not to poke the end through), with no change.
I know I must be doing something wrong, but I cannot figure out what it is. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
David

If I'm correct your saying your instant read is reading a higher temp than the Ivation. I think it (instant read) needs to be recalibrated as they can be off too. I also use an Ivation and it's pretty spot on.

Your meat should be lower than the (ambient temp) most times. For instance I cook hot and fast 325. Brisket is done around 200-205, too much higher equals a dry brisket.

2002sheds
06-05-2017, 05:14 PM
Hi Evil,
Thanks for your response. In fact, the iVation is the one that is off -- at least on the food side... It is displaying a temperature that is considerably higher than the meat, by tens of degrees.
The grill side is right on. I am sure I am doing something wrong in terms of the food probe. I am just unsure of how to correct this. The food side is actually acting as if the entire probe is sensing temperature, not just the last inch or so that usually gets inserted into the meat.

Thanks,
David

Evil-g
06-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Are you only inserting 1 inch into the product? It needs to go at minimum half way in.

Demosthenes9
06-05-2017, 11:18 PM
Can you stick the grill probe and the meat probe of the Ivation into the meat and see if they read the same ? After that, leave both probes in the meat and swap the ports for the probes. That will help narrow down the problem. You could very well have a bad probe.

2002sheds
06-05-2017, 11:33 PM
Hi Evil, Demo,
Good points. I will try both suggestions in a few days when I grill again, although both probes do read the same temperature when tested on a table top...
Evil, the probe was inserted fairly far, but maybe not half way. I will try that on Thursday, when I grill again.

Thanks,
David