PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on next smokers

ckoss
06-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Hi all,

New to the site, loving how much information is shared. I'm currently a backyard cook, although I just finished my first comp a few weeks ago.
I'm evaluating what my equipment should be moving forward. Currently I have a Primo XL, an Akorn, and a Pit Boss pellet grill. I love the Primo, but its hard to compete with (moving it and adding wood while cooking.)

What would be a good setup long term for home use and small time competing? I'm considering an offset stick burner and an insulated cabinet. The cabinet would be easy to use at home, and then I could compete using both. Maybe sell the Primo?

Anyone have any thought?

Thanks!

SmittyJonz
06-05-2017, 09:55 AM
Humphrey's Pint. Or Humphrey's Down East Beast or Twin Battle Boxes.

Ron_L
06-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Think about life at a competition. Staying up most of the night to feed an affect can get old. They put out great food, but require quite a bit of tending. An insulated vertical will give you some sleep, at least.

Also, look at drums. I use Hunsaker drums and don't start the first firs until 5:45am.

Macky
06-05-2017, 11:16 AM
Think about life at a competition. Staying up most of the night to feed an affect can get old. They put out great food, but require quite a bit of tending. An insulated vertical will give you some sleep, at least.

Agree with this. You would be hard pressed to beat the functionality of a well made, insulated Vertical. There are also Verticals that are designed to run off of either Charcoal or Wood. There is a new Brethren Vertical Manufacturer called "Ironside Smokers" I believe that offers this dual fire option but I am sure there must be others.

Check this out:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3806638#post3806638

ckoss
06-05-2017, 12:18 PM
Those are some pretty good points. If i only got an insulated vertical, would it cook enough things to compete?

Thats why I thought long term Id need both, but the stick burner might not get used much (except comps) if I had a good vertical.

Pic of the offset for reference.
http://cdn.smokingmeatforums.com/3/34/3478b788_20130608_181718.jpeg

pjtexas1
06-05-2017, 12:31 PM
i'm with Ron on the insulated cabinet. i would get that first and then add the stick burner for fun at home later.

SmittyJonz
06-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Well Of Course you should have both a Insulated cabinet AND a stick burner.
Some have both on One trailer........

Sooner21
06-05-2017, 01:24 PM
I have The Good One and can run it for 10-12 hours at a constant temp without adding anything at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Militant83
06-05-2017, 01:25 PM
Agree with this. You would be hard pressed to beat the functionality of a well made, insulated Vertical. There are also Verticals that are designed to run off of either Charcoal or Wood. There is a new Brethren Vertical Manufacturer called "Ironside Smokers" I believe that offers this dual fire option but I am sure there must be others.

Check this out:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3806638#post3806638

I believe Bubba Grills now has a stickburner/charcoal insulated cabinet model now too that they are selling called the T3 or something like that. There are a bunch of good builders out there building quality insulated cabinet smoker. When I made the decision I went with the builder that was closest to me. If there are any close you could either pick it up or would be cheaper to ship the closer they are to ya. But hell in the insulated cabinet world you have T&K Smokers, Humphrey's, Backwoods, Stumps, Assasin, Ironside, BQ Grills, Bubba Grills, Spicewine, Pitmaker and numerous others

Twisted T's Q
06-05-2017, 01:34 PM
you need to take a look at 270 smokers, they are probably the most potable insulted vertical cabinet charcoal smoker out there, priced right, put out killer Q and the quality is as good as any out there, and from your location you should be able to find a dealer / distributer relatively close by so shipping should be very reasonable if you need shipping at all. may be close enough you can just drive there and get one

Notorious Q.U.E.
06-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Alright I've got my football pads at the ready for a tackle from SmittyJonz so here it goes I'm gonna have to run this ball straight down the middle :)

After two decades of bbq experience, 4 actual rigs, and 4 disposable thingies, I swear by 1/4 inch thick steel or greater. It will do you right. It's more thermal mass that allows the slow and low cooking to denature the proteins and get you that tender succulent result. You can do magnificent work with other material but 1/4 inch or greater just makes it easier. All rigs will zig zag in temp but thick steel cuts the amplitude off the sine wave so the swings aren't so wild.

My .02 is that steel thickness is more important than brand and it's why my next cooker will have an insulated firebox for sure. I won't comment on the cabinets cause I don't have experience there.

Smokiemon
06-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Been super happy with my lonestar Cabinet:)

kyleb76
06-05-2017, 04:52 PM
you need to take a look at 270 smokers, they are probably the most potable insulted vertical cabinet charcoal smoker out there, priced right, put out killer Q and the quality is as good as any out there, and from your location you should be able to find a dealer / distributer relatively close by so shipping should be very reasonable if you need shipping at all. may be close enough you can just drive there and get one

I second this. I just got a 270 Sumo and I love it, it is the perfect size for a backyard cook.

cfrazier77
06-06-2017, 09:41 PM
I don't compete, but I love my insulated vertical so I can get a good night's sleep. If I don't sleep then I don't enjoy the food or the event the next day.

Stlbbqstore
06-06-2017, 11:18 PM
If portability and ease of transportation is on your mind - check out the Humphrey's Weekender. You could run two of them for less than the price of one standard cabinet.

tom b
06-06-2017, 11:59 PM
go big or go home :decision:

Leftwngr
06-07-2017, 12:22 AM
Insulated cabinets are awesome but generally run heavy. A good offset won't be a light nimble thing either. Whatever you choose to cook on, you'll want to take a long look at your means of transport. If you're strapping a good backyard offset or an insulated cabinet to a trailer, then consider the wheels and weight. Lugging around 1000 lbs of steel can get old really fast at best; straight up dangerous at worst.

I love my Vault, but if there is one criticism, it is the mobility, or lack thereof. If competing is a serious consideration, I would strongly consider the Hunsaker or Gateway drums.

ckoss
07-13-2017, 09:36 AM
Follow up to this thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3807447

Based on all the great feedback and opinions I received, I decided to go insulated vertical. Just got her a few days ago (used) for $1200. I thought it was a pretty good deal.

My Backwoods:

http://imgur.com/WRxUUDc

SmittyJonz
07-13-2017, 10:12 AM
:thumb:

BillATL
07-13-2017, 10:16 AM
Congrats. I picked up a used insulated vertical this spring to give me more capacity than the Primo Oval I'd been cooking on for years. Still learning the in and outs of the cooker but the extra space is great.Fun having a new cooker to learn

ckoss
07-13-2017, 10:51 AM
I'm actually moving from a Primo as well. I expect it to be much different.

Congrats. I picked up a used insulated vertical this spring to give me more capacity than the Primo Oval I'd been cooking on for years. Still learning the in and outs of the cooker but the extra space is great.Fun having a new cooker to learn

BillN
07-13-2017, 11:55 AM
Congratulations.

Ron_L
07-13-2017, 02:23 PM
Follow up to this thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3807447

Based on all the great feedback and opinions I received, I decided to go insulated vertical. Just got her a few days ago (used) for $1200. I thought it was a pretty good deal.

My Backwoods:

http://imgur.com/WRxUUDc

Mod Note:

Threads merged

Ron_L
07-13-2017, 02:23 PM
Congrats!

SmittyJonz
07-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Many competitors use 2-3 of the smaller insulated cabinets OR 2-3 WSMs or Drum Smokers....

SmittyJonz
07-13-2017, 03:21 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248917

LTG
07-13-2017, 05:15 PM
Drums are the answer.

Nuco59
07-13-2017, 06:15 PM
Drums are an answer- and a pretty dog gone good one. I also like Smitty's choice of a couple smaller (easily lugged) insulated verticals.