PDA

View Full Version : Still need some input on low temp problem

Mookieman
06-05-2017, 08:35 AM
My first post must have been to long to stomach.....let me try a shorter one.

New Oklahoma Joe Highland. Can't get it hot enough without burning through large amounts of fuel (charcoal and wood).

Sealed tight, no leaks ✔
Latches ✔
BBQMods baffling ✔
Airflow good ✔
Dryer vent to grate level ✔
Raised grate in firebox ✔
Open smokestack ✔

I get the firebox roaring and consuming fuel at an astonishingly fast rate, but the pit barely gets to 300. I ain't in there looking every 2 minutes either. It just takes a half hour to get from a quick basting back to 250 even. What gives?

Piomarine
06-05-2017, 08:41 AM
Try burnin splits. The OK Joe wasn't meant to run on charcoal and I know several here will tell you likewise. Start a chimney of charcoal, but only use it the get the log splits burning. From then on nothing but wood. Also try closing down your chimney damper some. If you're running it wide open it's possible that you are just letting heat escape through the chimney faster than you can replace it.

Mookieman
06-05-2017, 08:46 AM
I did try backing off on the smokestack a little at a time. It's not the fire in the firebox that's the problem. I can get that hot enough to melt the paint off the sides. I'm have trouble transferring the heat over for some reason.

Notorious Q.U.E.
06-05-2017, 08:48 AM
Wood's the way to go. As you'll see in my other posts, Kingsford Logs were my "gateway fuel" on the way to becoming totally hooked on stick burning. I go exhaust stack wide open.

To me, charcoal is just a startup and maybe middle-of-the-night maintenance heat source, whereas wood splits are the main event. Roger Davidson was the granddaddy of OKJ and he designed the pit with wood burning in mind. I believe his brother, Joseph, is the namesake of OKJ. Anyhow, wood all the way--you won't turn back!

Mookieman
06-05-2017, 08:51 AM
I get that, but my problem isn't "the fire box isn't hot enough". I had that thing roaring twice now. The first time I started with a minion method with 100, then 150, then 200+ briquettes and I finally said screw it and went to a forest fire of wood and charcoal. The heat coming out of there just about enough to set your eyebrows on fire when you opened it.

Shagdog
06-05-2017, 08:55 AM
I saw people answer you in the last one, so I didn't respond. Burn Splits. You can start with some charcoal to establish a coal bed, but you should be burning logs, not charcoal.

I would lose the dryer vent to grate level. I've always thought that was a dumb mod. It interferes with your airflow, and is potentially causing you problems. For that matter, I would look at your baffle set up too, it could also be hampering correct performance.

A minion method will not work in a stick burner. They're too drafty. Everything you put in is going to burn.

From what you're saying, I'm definitely thinking your mods are affecting performance. Lose the dryer vent first, burn splits, and see how it goes.

Mookieman
06-05-2017, 09:00 AM
The dryer vent is adjustable, you can turn it so there's just a curve going left or right, but I will try just pulling it off completely (one thing I haven't tried). We'll see how that goes. Airflow still looked good with it in. Plenty of exhaust and nothing smoking from anywhere else. That thing is airtight everywhere else. It would probably float for hours in a lake (lol). I just can't figure out how it can be so blazing hot in the firebox and mediocre warm in the pit.

ps - I got zero replies on the last post (oh well)

Piomarine
06-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Even with poor airflow smoke will eventually come out of the stack and give the illusion of performance, but you need more draw to pull more heat. This is doubly so in a reverse flow which I believe the highlander is. So like you said you do, pull the dryer vent, burn splits, and call us in the morning lol

SmittyJonz
06-05-2017, 09:08 AM
Stick burners don't need to be airtight -they don't even need a door on the end of the firebox. Get rid of the dryer vent elbow and urn firewood like everybody has said.

SmittyJonz
06-05-2017, 09:10 AM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3793496

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209208

Mookieman
06-05-2017, 09:13 AM
The vent has got to be it. Like Piomarine said, you still need that "draw". If the vent is affecting the draw, that would be a significant development.

People keep telling me to burn wood, but getting the firebox hot isn't my problem. I can't get the heat to transfer. I can't see what difference it would make to burn a different material if you can't get it to transfer to the pit.

PatAttack
06-05-2017, 09:15 AM
Like others have said...start with a charcoal bed and burn SPLITS!

SmittyJonz
06-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Ditch the dryer vent and try charcoal again - it'll work but you may get tired of feeding it 2-3 bags per cook and reallze firewood is cheaper.......... or maybe you won't.

pitbossJB
06-05-2017, 10:08 AM
It took me the longest time to realize that charcoal just doesn't work in a stick burner. I could get my firebox up to 900* and it still was cooking at 275-300, once I went to splits I was a happy camper. Even with the door open it was cooking nicely and the briskets were something to write home about. Wood is the answer and ditch your dryer hose.

Mookieman
06-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Thing I can't figure out is, 900 degrees is 900 degrees. If it's hot in the firebox using one fuel, it should be just as hot for the other and the pit temp should be the same. I get it would be cheaper and the fuel would last longer, going with wood over charcoal, but even with the near nuclear temps I was getting the pit was barely getting to 300.

It's gotta be the vent. Also, I'm going to MacGyver a O2 delivery system out of my Qmaster. Something like a burner for air that runs under neither the firebox grate.

smoke ninja
06-05-2017, 11:20 AM
I have the longhorn. It is a longer version of the highland. First how do measure temps?

The trick is to burn wood down to coals and use the coals to ignite the splits. Temps are almost secondary because if the bed dies the splits wont catch.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/brisket/20170603_203440_zpskctkjzh5.jpg (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/brisket/20170603_203440_zpskctkjzh5.jpg.html)

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/20170604_005026_zpsiihgzulp.jpg (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/20170604_005026_zpsiihgzulp.jpg.html)

Shagdog
06-05-2017, 11:21 AM
I missed this statement before, but it speaks volumes -

I get the firebox roaring and consuming fuel at an astonishingly fast rate, but the pit barely gets to 300. I ain't in there looking every 2 minutes either. It just takes a half hour to get from a quick basting back to 250 even. What gives?

If you close it up and leave it, the temp drops a lot? That points towards lousy airflow/not enough air to the fire. If your fire smolders/drops temp when the firebox is closed, try leaving the firebox door slightly open and see what happens. You should be able to pull better temps once that vent is gone, but make sure you have adequate intake as well.

And yes, there is a huge discrepancy between firebox temps and cooking chamber temps. There always will be, but with some better airflow and fire management it should start humming along.

SmittyJonz
06-05-2017, 11:27 AM
It's gotta be the vent. Also, I'm going to MacGyver a O2 delivery system out of my Qmaster. Something like a burner for air that runs under neither the firebox grate.

You need to go a WSM or UDS or an insulated cabinet smoker..... or an ASSASSIN Grill.

Notorious Q.U.E.
06-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Ok I'll be the jerk here and I've held off for a while. I've followed OKJ for a long time. I almost bought a Horizon because those are supposedly the true OKJ successors. OKJ has had essentially 3 incarnations:

1) Original built like a tank Roger Davidson specials that are coveted on the aftermarket
2) half way decent lowes / Home Depot COS when they were initially sold to charbroil, they had given Davidson assurances during the transition that quality would be maintained
3) last 2 years, every time I've lifted the door to an OKJ cook chamber, I've been floored by how flimsy they've become. It feels like the thickness of a soda can I kid you not.

So here it goes: are you within the 30 day money back guarantee window? It may be worth seeing if you can return it. I'll be the jerk and say that the Achilles heel is the thinness of OKJ metal. You're getting a raging inferno but it's spilling out into the atmosphere and not transferring into cook chamber. Once in the cook chamber , it is being sinked once again into the environment. Punchline: today's OKJ cookers can't hold a temp :(

SmittyJonz
06-05-2017, 11:51 AM
Ok I'll be the jerk here and I've held off for a while. I've followed OKJ for a long time. I almost bought a Horizon because those are supposedly the true OKJ successors. OKJ has had essentially 3 incarnations:

1) Original built like a tank Roger Davidson specials that are coveted on the aftermarket
2) half way decent lowes / Home Depot COS when they were initially sold to charbroil, they had given Davidson assurances during the transition that quality would be maintained
3) last 2 years, every time I've lifted the door to an OKJ cook chamber, I've been floored by how flimsy they've become. It feels like the thickness of a soda can I kid you not.

So here it goes: are you within the 30 day money back guarantee window? It may be worth seeing if you can return it. I'll be the jerk and say that the Achilles heel is the thinness of OKJ metal. You're getting a raging inferno but it's spilling out into the atmosphere and not transferring into cook chamber. Once in the cook chamber , it is being sinked once again into the environment. Punchline: today's OKJ cookers can't hold a temp :(

NOT. Notorious Q - you are way too Hung up on metal gauge/thickness. I've seen it in several posts. Sure Heavier is Better but I've Smoked in a File Cabinet and put out Q I'd put up against anybody with any smoker. I've seen guys build Smokers out of 3/8" Oilfield pipe then Bitch it takes 2- 2.5 hrs for their smoker to reach temp - one's a Buddy of Mine. My Heaviest guage Smoker is 3/16" - The Smokehouse Old Country Gave Me. Most of the Old Country's are 14 guage and run just fine and will last a good while if cared for. The Ok Joes are 16 or 14 guage.
The really thin ones -like a Charbroil -are 18/20 guage and there's still guys running those just Fine.
It's airflow issues - most likely because of the dryer vent and possibly any baffle or deflector plate if added. It'll run on Charcoal but it'll EAT Up some charcoal.

Zak
06-05-2017, 11:52 AM
We're gonna need pics of this pit. A lot of things just aren't adding up here. I've burned big sticker burners and small charcoals smokers without much issue of keeping temps up. I was burning my sticker burner this weekend which is probably about the same size as yours and only had to add a piece of wood every 30-40 mins and it was holding at 300-350 no problem. My tank is 1/4" thick so if yours is thinner then it should be hotter since your not using all the heat from the fire to heat metal.

Mookieman
06-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Ninja - I'm using 6 thermometers. The one on the top that came with it (screws into the lid), 2 on both ends at grate level, the probe for the pit on the Qmaster (as well as the food probe) and a separate Maverick probe that I've always used.

Shagdog - If I close it up and leave it, it takes an eternity to get the thing back up to temp (tried the smokestack in various positions). I'm using a Qmaster with a motor blowing at 100% power and it blows a considerable draft into the firebox. The fire gets nice and hot. Burned the paint off the thing already (lol). Heat in the firebox isn't the issue. It gets GOING going.

Zak - Yeah, something isn't adding up. I'll post some photos on my next attempt tonight. Going to stick with some simple chicken breasts, this time without that dryer vent (that's got to be the problem).

MisterChrister
06-05-2017, 12:29 PM
If you watch a pile of glowing hot charcoal, it does just that, glows hot right near the pile. If you watch a fire from a pile of wood splits, the flames are a foot high or more, and reaching for the sky. Same thing in your firebox, the draft of the flames will carry the BTUs into your cook chamber.

Just humor us and try a fire as suggested (sans the other mods), burning nothing but wood splits once you get your base built. It'll work, I promise. Stickburners don't run well on charcoal.

Notorious Q.U.E.
06-05-2017, 12:39 PM
NOT. Notorious Q - you are way too Hung up on metal gauge/thickness. I've seen it in several posts. Sure Heavier is Better but I've Smoked in a File Cabinet and put out Q I'd put up against anybody with any smoker. I've seen guys build Smokers out of 3/8" Oilfield pipe then Bitch it takes 2- 2.5 hrs for their smoker to reach temp - one's a Buddy of Mine. My Heaviest guage Smoker is 3/16" - The Smokehouse Old Country Gave Me. Most of the Old Country's are 14 guage and run just fine and will last a good while if cared for. The Ok Joes are 16 or 14 guage.
The really thin ones -like a Charbroil -are 18/20 guage and there's still guys running those just Fine.
It's airflow issues - most likely because of the dryer vent and possibly any baffle or deflector plate if added. It'll run on Charcoal but it'll EAT Up some charcoal.

I hear ya Smitty. Metal thickness is my thing. To be clear, you have to have BOTH airflow AND metal thickness. The super thin charbroils can hold temps if you hover over them and watch them like hawks, making adjustments every 3-5 min. It's like saying my '83 Buick with ski rack can do everything your '15 Cadillac does, it gets me from point A to point B!! Cool, that's a true statement but, man, is that a bumpy experience :(

pitbossJB
06-05-2017, 12:46 PM
The thing is that your infrared heat from the charcoal wants to go up not sideways, you need the flames and the wood gases to carry the heat with them into the cook chamber. I know that you think heat is heat, but it's more complicated than that. Just throw a log on there and watch the magic happen.

SmittyJonz
06-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Have you added a baffle or deflector or convection plate of some sorts. ? That could disrupt draft also......
Ditch the dryer vent and try again on charcoal then next cook try a chimney of lit charcoal and a split and then feed a split every 45 minutes.

Mookieman
06-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Well I was mixing it up. It's not like there was no wood in there. It wasn't logs, I don't have access to whole logs. I did have the Western brand wood blocks though.

We'll see where we're at once that dry vent comes out. That's gotta be the issue. Not enough "draw".

smoke ninja
06-05-2017, 01:21 PM

Well not to pick a fight but im gonna disagree with this. Ok joe is currently recognized as the lowest end of usable cos pits (smitty could vouch). They are a step below similar old country pits, maybe comparable to brinkmann trail master (if they still make them) that said they are still considered a functional pit. Unusable is more like dyna glo, which by the way, can still be ran at cooking temps.

Again i own a longhorn and still kick the tires on the ones at big box stores (i know im not the only brethren) when i walk by the grill section.

The ok joe highland can DEFINITELY get up to temp and hold it when being fed splits every 30-45 min

smoke ninja
06-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Well I was mixing it up. It's not like there was no wood in there. It wasn't logs, I don't have access to whole logs. I did have the Western brand wood blocks though.

We'll see where we're at once that dry vent comes out. That's gotta be the issue. Not enough "draw".

Mookieman please look at these pics. Burn wood. Build coal bed, as splits as needed. Supplement with charcoal or lump as needed/wanted to maintain coal base. Use
Coal bed to light splits.

Building the base

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/20170603_183757_zps59nclubq.jpg (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/20170603_183757_zps59nclubq.jpg.html)

Adding splits. Be sure to leave firebox door open until it ignites

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/brisket/20170603_203440_zpskctkjzh5.jpg (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/brisket/20170603_203440_zpskctkjzh5.jpg.html)

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/20150314_150811_zpszu5s3oev.jpg (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/20150314_150811_zpszu5s3oev.jpg.html)

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/smokeninjabbq/20140624_145636_zpsszuuuhn_edit_1430671664253_zpsd mgc3o7p.jpg (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/smokeninjabbq/media/20140624_145636_zpsszuuuhn_edit_1430671664253_zpsd mgc3o7p.jpg.html)

Notorious Q.U.E.
06-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Well not to pick a fight but im gonna disagree with this. Ok joe is currently recognized as the lowest end of usable cos pits (smitty could vouch). They are a step below similar old country pits, maybe comparable to brinkmann trail master (if they still make them) that said they are still considered a functional pit. Unusable is more like dyna glo, which by the way, can still be ran at cooking temps.

Again i own a longhorn and still kick the tires on the ones at big box stores (i know im not the only brethren) when i walk by the grill section.

The ok joe highland can DEFINITELY get up to temp and hold it when being fed splits every 30-45 min

I'll be curious if your rig is 2015/earlier or 2016/later. That's the difference right there. We are essentially talking two different pits under the same name of OKJ. It's what I call the gap between 2nd and 3rd generation OKJ.

I promise I'm not trying to disrespect but if we are trying to give straight and skinny opinions, those are my views. I'd be blown away if you've got a 2016 later OKJ and you cook the Que that you do. If you do, then hats off to you. OKJ has done to the bbq public what ivory soap did when they shrank their soap bar sizes and boasted no price increases!

Shagdog
06-05-2017, 03:14 PM
I had a chargriller with soda can steel and I cooked some seriously killer Q on it. Its more difficult but it ain't impossible. Thin steel doesn't mean anything about getting to a temp, it just affects your ability to hold it there. They turn into much more of a roller coaster, but you can still make great food on em. Running splits with plates it still ran pretty steady. I'd get a solid 30-40 minutes between splits.

m-fine
06-05-2017, 03:25 PM
People keep telling me to burn wood, but getting the firebox hot isn't my problem. I can't get the heat to transfer. I can't see what difference it would make to burn a different material if you can't get it to transfer to the pit.

People keep telling you to burn wood because they know what they are talking about and you are not listening. Charcoal is going to put out a ton of btu's in the form of IR heat that will heat the walls of the firebox. An open flame on wood splits is going to put out more of its btu's in usable convection heat. You need the covective airflow/chimney effect to suck air into the fire box, heat it, and draw it through the cook chamber.

Too much airflow and you let a lot of heat go out the chimney and you need to burn a ton of fuel to maintain temps. Too little airflow and you either get a smoldering fire or a hot firebox and cold main chamber.

You need to find wood splits, not chips or chunks. Only use charcoal to get the wood fire started. Until you accept this, you are wasting your time adding or removing mods or whatever else you plan to try.

OSD
06-05-2017, 03:37 PM
Shagdog - If I close it up and leave it, it takes an eternity to get the thing back up to temp (tried the smokestack in various positions). I'm using a Qmaster with a motor blowing at 100% power and it blows a considerable draft into the firebox. The fire gets nice and hot. Burned the paint off the thing already (lol). Heat in the firebox isn't the issue. It gets GOING going.

This and the exhaust mod are keeping you from getting proper air flow. Do away with both and use splits. That should cure the problem. You aren't getting enough air flow using that fan on your type of pit.

cats49er
06-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Do as others have said ,and check your exhaust flue.Make sure it is not blocked in any way and keep it all the way open.

smoke ninja
06-05-2017, 08:09 PM
I'll be curious if your rig is 2015/earlier or 2016/later. That's the difference right there. We are essentially talking two different pits under the same name of OKJ. It's what I call the gap between 2nd and 3rd generation OKJ.

I promise I'm not trying to disrespect but if we are trying to give straight and skinny opinions, those are my views. I'd be blown away if you've got a 2016 later OKJ and you cook the Que that you do. If you do, then hats off to you. OKJ has done to the bbq public what ivory soap did when they shrank their soap bar sizes and boasted no price increases!

:laser:

mike-cleveland
06-05-2017, 09:04 PM
I have had a 2014 OKJ Highland and just picked up a new one today. Both were exactly the same in terms of weight and metal thickness. I can do a run tomorrow and post pics and temps. I have had no problem running the highland in 300 degrees plus.

W.I.T.W.A.G?
06-05-2017, 09:38 PM
I agree with most others as well. Burn coal to get your bed and go to splits.
Stick burning is the "manual transmission" of the bbq world. If you can do it effectively you can run about anything. Similar to a manual transmission car it is becoming more of a lost art.

SmittyJonz
06-05-2017, 09:49 PM

The Ok Joes have been the same for the last 5-6-7-8 years. They dropped the slide out ash pan -that always rusted out - a few years ago but they the same guage ever since Walmart n Lowes started carrying them. This Longhorn I borrowed in Oklahoma 2 years ago was about 5 or 6 years old at the time and it's no Heavier guage than the one I saw at Lowes a few Days ago.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/E581A6D2-70BC-490C-9EBD-7C1F2C67C15F_zps4fyecaqi.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/E581A6D2-70BC-490C-9EBD-7C1F2C67C15F_zps4fyecaqi.jpg.html)

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/51FE5B34-D555-4B9A-9783-CFBB009D9F30_zps6x1mljcw.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/51FE5B34-D555-4B9A-9783-CFBB009D9F30_zps6x1mljcw.jpg.html)

End to End temp difference.....(or end to middle - probes were moved as I shifted/wrapped Briskets n added Ribs)

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/42E21453-E81D-483F-89D7-BF6A2A4D9A3F_zpsru0du5um.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/42E21453-E81D-483F-89D7-BF6A2A4D9A3F_zpsru0du5um.jpg.html)

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/62CA7B43-1FEF-44F8-A72D-A92AE0276580_zpsxifidsjz.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/62CA7B43-1FEF-44F8-A72D-A92AE0276580_zpsxifidsjz.jpg.html)

tom b
06-05-2017, 10:58 PM
nice work Smitty!

Notorious Q.U.E.
06-05-2017, 11:49 PM
The Ok Joes have been the same for the last 5-6-7-8 years. They dropped the slide out ash pan -that always rusted out - a few years ago but they the same guage ever since Walmart n Lowes started carrying them. This Longhorn I borrowed in Oklahoma 2 years ago was about 5 or 6 years old at the time and it's no Heavier guage than the one I saw at Lowes a few Days ago.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/E581A6D2-70BC-490C-9EBD-7C1F2C67C15F_zps4fyecaqi.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/E581A6D2-70BC-490C-9EBD-7C1F2C67C15F_zps4fyecaqi.jpg.html)

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/51FE5B34-D555-4B9A-9783-CFBB009D9F30_zps6x1mljcw.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/51FE5B34-D555-4B9A-9783-CFBB009D9F30_zps6x1mljcw.jpg.html)

End to End temp difference.....(or end to middle - probes were moved as I shifted/wrapped Briskets n added Ribs)

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/42E21453-E81D-483F-89D7-BF6A2A4D9A3F_zpsru0du5um.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/42E21453-E81D-483F-89D7-BF6A2A4D9A3F_zpsru0du5um.jpg.html)

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/62CA7B43-1FEF-44F8-A72D-A92AE0276580_zpsxifidsjz.jpg (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/62CA7B43-1FEF-44F8-A72D-A92AE0276580_zpsxifidsjz.jpg.html)

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I promise you the OKJ in your photos is not the same rig you can now buy at big box retailers today. I've owned 4 decent pits and 4 that I tossed aside over 20 years doing bbq. I knew this was going to be a contentious item but OKJ is not the same brand it used to be. I've clearly stirred something but I don't want to be afraid to tell people what I know.

A buddy of mine told me I should go into buying and selling pits. I have a knack for finding diamonds in the rough. I've managed to find pits and sell them at a profit even after cooking on them and not doing the best cleaning job. The one in your photos I could move. The one I laid hands on over Memorial Day Weekend at Lowes , no.

Jam Jam
06-06-2017, 12:26 AM
OP, Is the baffle in there between your CC and firebox?

smoke ninja
06-06-2017, 04:31 AM
We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I promise you the OKJ in your photos is not the same rig you can now buy at big box retailers today. I've owned 4 decent pits and 4 that I tossed aside over 20 years doing bbq. I knew this was going to be a contentious item but OKJ is not the same brand it used to be. I've clearly stirred something but I don't want to be afraid to tell people what I know.

A buddy of mine told me I should go into buying and selling pits. I have a knack for finding diamonds in the rough. I've managed to find pits and sell them at a profit even after cooking on them and not doing the best cleaning job. The one in your photos I could move. The one I laid hands on over Memorial Day Weekend at Lowes , no.

Dude. Seriously your wrong

:frusty:

Edit: you do realize that smity is pretty knowledgeable in cos pits himself. Some would say he's the brethrens resident expert.

Notorious Q.U.E.
06-06-2017, 06:36 AM

Edit: you do realize that smity is pretty knowledgeable in cos pits himself. Some would say he's the brethrens resident expert.

It's the power of the free market, people will choose what they will. Even with asymmetric information,people will know about discrepancies, know their products , and still make choices that may not be rational. Over time, it's a personal matter and choice, just not a choice I'd make 20 years in

Notorious Q.U.E.
06-06-2017, 06:38 AM

I wouldn't call a faceless pseudonym Internet forum as the most credible place for finding "expert" knowledge. It's one source of many and a good one, but not gospel. I don't hear so and so said it and then immediately drop my guard! I guess Michigan DMV has your given name as "smoke" (lower case) and surname "ninja" (also lower case)?

You could be a PhD in thermodynamics or an eighth grader. Either way, careful with the more people said it therefore it's true business. If Myron Mixon or Paul Kirk are quoted on record then we've got a different ball game and I will adjust my views.

It's your money, it's a free country, enjoy amigo. Emotional buying is what pads quarterly earnings statements on the S & P 500. I've got a bridge in Brooklyn you might want to check out. I can send you the Craigslist link if you'd like. It says it's pre-paid cash cards only to help in the noble crusade of liberating a Nigerian prince. Send the money smoke ninja or you won't receive your hundred million in diamonds!!

m-fine
06-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Arguing over who is the better fake expert on metal thickness is asinine. The OP's issue has nothing to do with the gauge of steel used in 2016 vs 2014 or 2012. His problem is he is using the wrong fuel and until he fixes that he and the rest of us are just wasting our time.

Smokesignalsfromtx
06-06-2017, 08:08 AM
Airflow is your problem. Open your exhaust and use splits (log/real wood splits). If you haven't watched the BBQ Franklin videos on YouTube yet, you might want to. Also, briquettes make A LOT of ash. Make sure you remove the ash under your fire grate to obtain proper airflow. I've also seen others raise their fire grates to assist with proper airflow.

OH! and crack your side door of your firebox open to help with airflow and fire management. You want a good clean fire, not a pile of smoldering wood.

smoke ninja
06-06-2017, 08:18 AM
Notorious Q.U.E.

With al due respect

Your new so maybe you have yet to experience the community feel around here.

Smitty is not some anonymous figure behind a keyboard. Many members know him, heck i could recognize the man and ive never met him furthermore over years he has demonstrated his knowledge through buying and researching cookers and posting that information here. He is what i call a vetted source.

There are many "experts" on tge board in various subjects. You can head their advice or count all opinions the same, i dont care.

As for me....im notoruous enough around here myself

tom b
06-06-2017, 10:50 AM
If Smitty said it and Ninja agrees, I'd go with that.....

SmittyJonz
06-06-2017, 11:12 AM
The OP still hasn't answered if he runs a baffle or plates or such - unless I have missed it. ? :confused:

The Real Ok Joes of the 1990's were 3/16" and 1/4"and may have had a small 1/8" smoker, until Charbroil bought them around 2000. When they first bought them they put out 1/8" or 11 guage units but when they got them placed in Walmarts and Lowes they went to 16 or 14 guage like the ones now - same thing they did with New Braunsfels about same time frame - +/- 2,3 years...
But who cares - that's NOT his issue on this Highland.....

SmoothBoarBBQ
06-06-2017, 01:04 PM
I did try backing off on the smokestack a little at a time. It's not the fire in the firebox that's the problem. I can get that hot enough to melt the paint off the sides. I'm have trouble transferring the heat over for some reason.

The reason is because you insist on using charcoal rather than wood splits. The charcoal has had almost all of the moisture burned out of it, so there aren't a ton of gases being produced when it burns. Wood splits, on the other hand, are full of water (good wood splits have about 15-20% of their mass being taken up by water), so when they burn they give off a TON of steam as well as NO (Nitric Oxide or Nitrogen Monoxide) and CO2 (Carbon Dioxide). These gases moves very easily in warm air so this makes it exceptionally easy for something like the drafting system of a smoker to pull those very hot gases from the firebox, into the smoking chamber, and out the exhaust stack. This is why the offset works so well as it allows for a very clean fire and it the drafting system pulls the air into the smoking chamber and out the exhaust pipe.

As others have already stated you'll need to remove all the bull**** attachments / "mods" you've added and start cooking with the splits. You'll easily be able to get your smoking chamber to 400F with just a few medium sized splits. I also noticed that you said you couldn't get them in your area and that's just not true (if you are located in Flint, MI as your profile suggests).

https://flint.craigslist.org/grd/6162022338.html

Craigslist is your friend when it comes to wood for your smoker and I have found I have the best luck when I search "firewood" rather than something like "bbq wood" or "wood for smoker." Make sure you're getting hardwoods and NO pines, spruces, or furs.

Here's an old post from this forum which lists a ton of woods for BBQ... just make sure what you're getting delivered is on this list.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=492877&postcount=2

I'm pretty sure I posted this video in your previous thread but I'm posting it here again so that maybe you'll watch it and learn something.

https://youtu.be/0Azfvya6n4Y?t=15

Good luck man... we all want you to succeed and enjoy your offset smoker. EVERYBODY is telling you the same thing for a reason... because it works. Cheers!