PDA

View Full Version : Smoking that's healthy for you LOL

iStrikeBack
06-05-2017, 05:14 AM
So I'm 95% complete with my new smoker and plan on using her this weekend. Problem is I am also trying to diet and lose some weight. Does anyone have any recommendations for Healthy smoked foods? besides turkey?

On the same note does anyone know where to buy just turkey breasts? Thanks Guys!

Gary Tomato
06-05-2017, 05:50 AM
Chicken breasts - sprinkle your favourite rub on them, smoke to your favourite temp then serve thinly sliced over rice or in a salad. You won't lose much weight by eating less though,you need to exercise regularly and watch what you eat to do that. You can still eat your favourite foods but eat less of them and do exercise! Good luck!

Notorious Q.U.E.
06-05-2017, 06:18 AM
Agree! Everyone's working on the intake (diet) side while few pay attention to output (exercise) side. I try to do 30 min cardio every day before work. Otherwise, I know my health would suffer with so much Que in front of me. Best way to start exercising is starting super small and working it up daily. Start with walking a block and then making it 2, and so on. It's the long game that counts so we aren't talking 6 months, we are talking decades, which is why I frown upon somebody saying they're doing an extreme workout program: it'll rarely be around in a year

KevinJ
06-05-2017, 07:28 AM
Pork Loins are just as lean as a Chicken Breast, smoking one tonight. I also agree exercise is important at least in my weight management and fitness program anyways.

LYU370
06-05-2017, 07:37 AM
Skip the carbs and eat what you want.

mawil1013
06-05-2017, 07:38 AM
So I'm 95% complete with my new smoker and plan on using her this weekend. Problem is I am also trying to diet and lose some weight. Does anyone have any recommendations for Healthy smoked foods? besides turkey?

On the same note does anyone know where to buy just turkey breasts? Thanks Guys!

Seriously I say; fatty meat, in safe amounts, is fine, it's all the side stuff that's bad. Sugary and starchy foods are the killers.

upStomp
06-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Skip the carbs and eat what you want.

^^^This, more or less. My Wife and I have been doing the low-carb thing for a while now and it's working out pretty well. I make all my own rubs and sauces so I can limit the sugars (zero carb rubs and low carb sauces). There are also some commercially available low-carb sauce options - Stubb's comes to mind. I found that without the sugars in the rubs, I stopped wrapping my ribs at any point because it takes a bit longer for the bark to form. Other than that, my cooking techniques haven't changed much.

iStrikeBack
06-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys, I am fairly active already I just eat horrible. I'm on Weight Watchers now, I know sounds crazy but it's worked great for me in the past. I lost 70 lbs on it before I got married but 5 years later I'm back at square one.

Springram
06-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Agree! Everyone's working on the intake (diet) side while few pay attention to output (exercise) side. I try to do 30 min cardio every day before work. Otherwise, I know my health would suffer with so much Que in front of me. Best way to start exercising is starting super small and working it up daily. Start with walking a block and then making it 2, and so on. It's the long game that counts so we aren't talking 6 months, we are talking decades, which is why I frown upon somebody saying they're doing an extreme workout program: it'll rarely be around in a year

You are wearing me out with all of your exercise talk. :-D

Springram
06-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Smaller portions is better in the long run. Cutting out food types just does not lend itself to long term success. The human body was designed to get its energy from carbohydrates. There are some carbs, like veggies , that are better than others for sure. But are you going to give up that pizza for the rest of your life? Just eat less. It is all about calories in, calories out. Sounds 'ol fashioned but it is reality.

Carbon
06-05-2017, 01:21 PM
I run and cycle regularly, and don't have a weight problem, never did. I ate pretty much anything, til recently.
My biggest problem was what and how much I ate, especially when I got heavily into BBQ'ing about 10 yrs ago. All during that time I thought I was in pretty good shape (regular 5K jogs and century bike rides) until recently during heavy exercise I started experiencing mild chest pains. I found out I had 90% blockage in 1 artery and got that fixed and am on meds for the first time in my life at 63.
My diet has changed drastically, especially what and how I prepare my BBQ's now.

DownHomeQue
06-05-2017, 01:32 PM
Pork Loin, Pork Tenderloin, Chicken breast and wings and legs, Loin back Ribs (baby back) Smoking is one of the healthier means of cooking I think.

BadkissonTT
06-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Smoke some hot dogs, beef jerky, and some tube steak and get on Keto diet.

Taylormade
06-05-2017, 02:04 PM
While I don't disagree that exercise is an important factor in living a healthy lifestyle, diet plays a much bigger part in losing weight... especially for those who live a... "sedentary lifestyle" shall we say.

Many a diet has failed because someone took on too much change. They cut their 5k daily calorie intake down to 2k and joined a gym on a Monday. By Thursday they're done. It's simply too much.

When you start exercising after a long break you'll find that your body demands more food to offset the energy it's expending. Instead of being hungry at noon, you'll be the tasmanian devil by 10:30.

Cut back on the calories first, then add exercise and you'll see the weight fly off. As for th healthy smoking, invite friends over and demand they take some home. I cooked a 10# butt yesterday, ate two sammiches, my wife and daughter had one each and delivered the rest to a neighbor friend for his family to eat. I do this quite a lot.

Yeah, it's expensive, but so is heart surgery.

gtr
06-05-2017, 02:25 PM
I lost over 30# just through portion control, cutting the carbs, and becoming more physically active. My meals will generally be a small serving of meat - like a few oz. - and a large serving of veggies of some sort. I never stopped eating any particular type of meat, I just eat less of it.

Losing weight right off the bat was easy, keeping it off is where I've had to learn about sustained discipline, which isn't always easy - not for me, anyway.

hurricanedavid
06-05-2017, 02:44 PM
The key is word is "loin" (aka lean) when it comes to eating beef and pork along with portion control.

cats49er
06-05-2017, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys, I am fairly active already I just eat horrible. I'm on Weight Watchers now, I know sounds crazy but it's worked great for me in the past. I lost 70 lbs on it before I got married but 5 years later I'm back at square one.

Don't you mean Round ONE?:mrgreen:

IXL
06-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Adopt a diabetic-friendly diet and weight reduction will follow, guaranteed.

W.I.T.W.A.G?
06-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Pork Tenderloin is fine meal. Fairly lean and delicious as long as you dont overcook it

BillN
06-05-2017, 10:12 PM
I find cutting out sugar and refined grains 90% of the time, eating meat no more than once a day, plenty of vegetables and dark fruits. For example I eat bread but only if it is 100% whole grain not to be confused with whole wheat bread. I eat rice but only 100% whole grain. Corn chips only if from 100% stone ground whole grain. Now on the bright side I will eat an occasional desert made with sugar (no HFCS) but this is the exception not the rule. I don't know if it is my metabolism but if I eat this way my weight keeps in check. If I eat sugar and refined flour my weight goes up even if I count calories. Also I try to ask myself if the calories I am about to ingest are nutrient dense or empty.

Pocchampion
06-05-2017, 10:40 PM
Smaller portions is better in the long run. Cutting out food types just does not lend itself to long term success. The human body was designed to get its energy from carbohydrates. There are some carbs, like veggies , that are better than others for sure. But are you going to give up that pizza for the rest of your life? Just eat less. It is all about calories in, calories out. Sounds 'ol fashioned but it is reality.

This is dead on.

Make a plate of what you should eat and NO seconds. Once you get in the groove, it is really easy. No way in hell I am giving up carbs and I have been able to stay lean.

m-fine
06-06-2017, 08:00 AM
Calories in vs calories out is kindergarten level science. A major oversimplification that ignores things like insulin response, metabolism, hunger, and cravings.

Your body is way more complex than a simple furnace and food is a way more complex fuel source than propane. What you eat and when does matter and we are not all the same. For most people who are overweight, sweets are a major enemy. Even calorie free artificial sweeteners cause weight gain and other health problems because they trigger insulin response and other reactions in the body. Starches and other carbs are not much better. For weight loss or cholesterol/triglycerides and general health.

Fats are calorie dense with twice the calories per gram as carbs, but replacing 5 grams of fat with 20 grams of starch and sugar is rarely going to be a winning strategy. Too little fat is bad, too much fat, especially when eaten with sugar is also bad. Moderation, balance and diversification are generally going to be better strategies.

Don't ignore exercise. I do not believe any diet will make a sedentary lifestyle healthy, even if you are not overweight.

As for the original question, don't ignore dark meat poultry. The additional fat and calories after cooking is minimal, but they tend to grill up better. Brisket flats are low fat, especially if you trim after cooking. Pork loin, pork tenderloin as previously mentioned. Add grilled veggies like asparagus, Brussel sprouts, onions and even leafy greens. Focus on low or no sugar dry rubs and marinades and skip or minimize the sauces.

Get a sous vide cooker for easier and better lean meats and use the grill to finish/sear. Sous vide pork tenderloin with 1-2 minutes of searing is super easy and always a big hit.

Springram
06-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Maybe kindergarten, but none of the scientific nuances mentioned alters the fact that if more calories of whatever kind are taken in than expended, then eventual weight gain will result. Metabolism, for example, varies from individual to individual. However, it still gets back to how that person' body is using the energy supplied to it. When I was younger, I could eat like a horse but still remain thin. Ain't that way anymore and I actually eat less than I did!

m-fine
06-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Maybe kindergarten, but none of the scientific nuances mentioned alters the fact that if more calories of whatever kind are taken in than expended, then eventual weight gain will result. Metabolism, for example, varies from individual to individual. However, it still gets back to how that person' body is using the energy supplied to it. When I was younger, I could eat like a horse but still remain thin. Ain't that way anymore and I actually eat less than I did!

First of all, calories CAN be excreted unburned, but more importantly, what you eat does influence how much you burn and your cravings to eat more. Diets simply based on calorie counting have abysmal success rates. Lifestyle changes that combine exercise with eating better still have low long term success rates, but far far better than calorie counting.

aawa
06-06-2017, 10:53 AM

If you want to diet and lose weight and eat BBQ, look up the Ketogenic diet. Low fat, just enough protein to support your muscles, then all the fat you can eat till you are full. On this diet you eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. Once your body becomes adapted to burn fat instead of carbs for fuel, you will notice your appetite decreases considerably.

BBQ fits that depending on what rubs and sauces you use and what sides you eat.

Taylormade
06-06-2017, 11:32 AM
1. First of all, calories CAN be excreted unburned, but more importantly, what you eat does influence how much you burn and your cravings to eat more. 2. Diets simply based on calorie counting have abysmal success rates. 3. Lifestyle changes that combine exercise with eating better still have low long term success rates, but far far better than calorie counting.

Agree on #1 and is why most diets have "cheat days" after the first few weeks. Your body adjusts to whatever caloric intake you've been giving it and it (forgive the phrasing) "dumps" whatever it takes above that.

Agree on #2 totally.

Not sure how I feel about #3... if you're saying that a fat person typically is going to remain fat, even if they have short term success in weight loss through whatever fad diet they attempt, I agree. But "lifestyle changes combined with better eating" is a recipe for success 10 out of 10 times.

Anywho, sorry for the hijack OP. I still maintain that smaller portions is the easiest way to stay healthy. As Springram said above, if you take in less than you expend, you WILL lose weight. It is a very simple formula. There are countless ways to get there, but if you do NOTHING else but eat smaller portions, you'll get there all the same.

FattyMcFatty
06-06-2017, 12:03 PM
This is my "usual".....

Grill:
-Turkey Breast
-Chicken Breast
-Chicken Thighs every now and then
-Extra Lean Ground Beef (I just make patties, eat with veggies or make lettuce wraps)
-Extra Lean Ground Turkey (I just make patties, eat with veggies or make lettuce wraps)
-Shrimp
-Salmon

Healthy BBQ:
-Whole Chicken
-Whole Turkey

What I usually BBQ:
-Brisket
-Ribs
-Sausage
-Bacon Wrapped Cream Cheese Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers
-SPAM
-Candied Bacon

I'm of not help really, when I fire up the pit I tend to do the "unhealthier" variety and it's a "splurge" meal for me
:-D

m-fine
06-06-2017, 12:52 PM
Not sure how I feel about #3... if you're saying that a fat person typically is going to remain fat, even if they have short term success in weight loss through whatever fad diet they attempt, I agree. But "lifestyle changes combined with better eating" is a recipe for success 10 out of 10 times.

Yes, but only if you stick with it. Sugar and lounging are both pretty darn addictive, and many "former addicts" have a hard time staying clean over the long term. After a decade, too often 10 out of 10 turns into 1 or 2 out of 10, but it is still by far your best odds vs anything else we know.

KC Smoke
06-06-2017, 01:00 PM
Venison and ostrich are good options for lean red meat.

BillN
06-06-2017, 01:02 PM
We were all dealt a deck of cards (genetics) that we can't change. We need to adjust our lifestyle (diet and exercise) to our individual needs. If it were simple no one would be fat. A good example of a group who's bodies have a difficult time dealing with refined grains and sugar are the Piman people of the Southwest US Sonran Desert.

All this sucks when your hobby is Que, cooking and EATING.:mmph:

SmokinBub
06-06-2017, 01:43 PM
While this might not answer the question, it is my experience and BBQ has helped me lose weight (kinda...)

I've lost 13lbs so far on a keto diet over a month. Once adjusted I've felt much better and I BBQ even more now that meat is a major staple.

I also don't over eat and I usually skip the sauce. Eating higher % of fats and protein compared to carbs fills me up more quickly and longer.

Check out Mark Sisson if you want a good balance between no carb / paleo / etc. He breaks it down well and you can eat carbs. Just the right kinds and keeping the amount around 150 grams.

In other words, BBQ whatever meat you want.

aawa
06-06-2017, 02:12 PM
While this might not answer the question, it is my experience and BBQ has helped me lose weight (kinda...)

I've lost 13lbs so far on a keto diet over a month. Once adjusted I've felt much better and I BBQ even more now that meat is a major staple.

I also don't over eat and I usually skip the sauce. Eating higher % of fats and protein compared to carbs fills me up more quickly and longer.

Check out Mark Sisson if you want a good balance between no carb / paleo / etc. He breaks it down well and you can eat carbs. Just the right kinds and keeping the amount around 150 grams.

In other words, BBQ whatever meat you want.

A good podcast which helps explain the ketogenic diet and how it works is the 2ketodudes. I had my reservations about the diet as it goes against all conventional wisdom of eating lots of fats, but it works. I had friends tell me how great they feel on it, and I didn't try it till I tuned into the 2ketodudes.

BBQ on keto is so good. Brisket, pulled pork, ribs, sausage all without the typical "guilt" or needed portion control that the high carb, calorie restrictive diet preach.

P.S. Other "side effect" of the Ketogenic diet are lower blood pressure, lower triglycerides, higher HDL "good cholesterol", lower blood sugar, lower A1C, no crashes of energy, no starving feeling, better mental clarity, and natural reduction in appetite, and raised level of testerone production.

SmokinBub
06-06-2017, 02:51 PM
A good podcast which helps explain the ketogenic diet and how it works is the 2ketodudes. I had my reservations about the diet as it goes against all conventional wisdom of eating lots of fats, but it works. I had friends tell me how great they feel on it, and I didn't try it till I tuned into the 2ketodudes.

BBQ on keto is so good. Brisket, pulled pork, ribs, sausage all without the typical "guilt" or needed portion control that the high carb, calorie restrictive diet preach.

P.S. Other "side effect" of the Ketogenic diet are lower blood pressure, lower triglycerides, higher HDL "good cholesterol", lower blood sugar, lower A1C, no crashes of energy, no starving feeling, better mental clarity, and natural reduction in appetite, and raised level of testerone production.

Awesome. Didn't know about this podcast. Thanks for the tip!

Springram
06-06-2017, 03:12 PM
First of all, calories CAN be excreted unburned, but more importantly, what you eat does influence how much you burn and your cravings to eat more. Diets simply based on calorie counting have abysmal success rates. Lifestyle changes that combine exercise with eating better still have low long term success rates, but far far better than calorie counting.

I think we agree. It is hard to lose weight and maintain the weight loss unless there are life changing habits regarding eating and moving around. Still...the underlying truth is that calories count regardless how you intend to restrict them. Going into ketosis through the restriction of carbohydrates will cause you not to be hungry, for example. Which again gets back to the fact that "not hungry = less food eaten=less calories"

BillN
06-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Being able to move and to keep upright (not falling) are two keys to surviving the aging process. We lost my wife's mother in two short years after a fall which led to subsequent falls. She went from walking/biking every day even into her 80"s to wheelchair bound. Her last year was no quality of life mostly bed/chair ridden.

cullenbranson
06-06-2017, 06:51 PM
Fish