PDA

View Full Version : What's a two year old 18.5 wsm worth?

FF931
06-04-2017, 08:28 PM
I have found a supposedly 2 year old 18.5 wsm for sale on "letgo" app for 100$ looks in good shape from limited pictures available. It's about a hour away from me and don't want to waste my time. It's also a 18 I was wanting th 22. So what do you guys think?

smoke ninja
06-04-2017, 08:47 PM
Its a good smoker and if its in good condition then its a good deal.

As for the 18 vs 22 thats up to you. Some are more up to packing the 18 creatively. Some don't want to hassle with using the lower grate or draping briskets over a bowl and go big. Maybe fuel mileage is important. Personal preference, most will say the 22 but the 18 fits a ton of food

mchar69
06-04-2017, 08:51 PM
I always would want a 22" if I could swing it.

Hoss
06-04-2017, 09:06 PM
Hold out for a 22. That is not a GREAT deal on a used 18,"in my opinion". An 18 is like a middle child,too big to be cute,like the 14 and too little to handle heavy chores like the 22.If it were right down the street,or across town,maybe.

Stlbbqstore
06-04-2017, 09:23 PM
Definitely hold out for a 22 at that price. If it was $25 at a garage sale, snag it because why not. You will be glad you waited to have the extra room on a 22 for ribs especially.

Sid Post
06-04-2017, 09:47 PM
I have found a supposedly 2 year old 18.5 wsm for sale on "letgo" app for 100$ looks in good shape from limited pictures available. It's about a hour away from me and don't want to waste my time. It's also a 18 I was wanting th 22. So what do you guys think?

If it was in East Texas somewhere, I'd take it for a C-Note in the condition described. Too bad it is so far East.

Ag76
06-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Sounds cheap enough to me too. $300.00 brand new.

SlowmotionQue
06-04-2017, 10:04 PM

Hold out and get the 22.5. Take your hundred bucks and put it towards the 22.5.

If that 18.5 is an hour away from you, then it's two hours round trip.

Hold out for a 22. That is not a GREAT deal on a used 18,"in my opinion". An 18 is like a middle child,too big to be cute,like the 14 and too little to handle heavy chores like the 22.If it were right down the street,or across town,maybe.

Well put.

And even if it were right down the street or across town, I'd still pass it up because what you in the first couple sentences is so accurate.

No offense to anyone who has one, but I'll do you one better in your analysis that the the 18.5 Smokey Mountain, is like a middle child,too big to be cute,like the 14 and too little to handle heavy chores like the 22.

It is my opinion that the 18.5 WSM is actually the red headed stepchild of Weber.

I say that and I own one. It would not surprise me to see this smoker eventually discontinued.

I have an 18.5 and bought it after having use of an 18.5 before that.

Should have learned my lesson right there and gone ahead and bought the 22.5 after getting use of the 18.5, but didn't, figuring that if need be, I'd just light two 18.5s if it came down to it.

Ended up getting the 22.5 in March of this year and have not looked back. My 18.5 has not been lit since and I gave back the 18.5 that I had been borrowing because it was taking up space on my patio.

Finally, and this is important, the sentiment that the 22.5 eats fuel, is one that I initially had myself, and it stands to reason that it would take more fuel to heat it up than it would a smaller smoker.

But one strategy that I used to counter this was the use of lump charcoal, same as I use in my Kamado Joe. For short cooks in the WSM, it offers a couple of advantages.

Leftover lump can be shaken off and easily relit and used for a subsequent cook, you never waste any. Whereas briquettes can be difficult if not impossible to re light. Lump doesn't make as much ash as briquettes does either.

Finally, if you have to burn Kingsford, this time of year it's dirt cheap. Walmart still has it, 2 15b bags for just under 8 bucks. $7.89 if memory serves me. Actually have the receipt right here as I bought some Friday. $7.88 for the two bag pack.

So you go through a whole bag of it for an overnight cook, so what? That's dirt cheap.

Even if the 18.5 burns half as much fuel over the same time frame, and I can assure you that it doesn't, it burns more than half over the same time frame, well then what do you save? $3.95.

If you're doing this sort of thing, well then $3.95 worth of charcoal per overnight cook, less than that actually, is probably not going to make or break you.

Rusty Kettle
06-04-2017, 10:14 PM
I would buy it. I think the 22.5" is a fuel hog imo unless you really load it up. Its a big cooker. Plenty bigger but this thing is a beast. An 18 might be a good middle ground smoker.
As to the 14.5" wsm being cute... Maybe it is but don't let that fool you. It is a little beast that is better than the 22.5" wsm. Much better in bad weather and I can cook award winning ribs on it. One of my favorite smokers of all time. The 22.5" was a huge let down for me. Others love it but its just not for me. I think mine may be for sale after the 10th maybe. Guess it depends on a few factors. I think the 18 is a great in between size that compromises fuel efficient and decent capacity. Get it and let me know what you think of it. I don't think you can go wrong at that price. A 14.5" is $199. But I can get them at $50 at the end of summer.

robert-r
06-04-2017, 10:21 PM
$100 = great deal if it's in good shape. You could flip it & make $50.

22" WSM is huge. Do you really need one?

FF931
06-06-2017, 12:22 AM
Well thanks for all the advice you guys are awesome. I had seller send me some more pictures and saw that only issue was door had a bend to it and needed the upgraded steel one. I made the seller a offer of 50$ and damn if he didn't take it. It worked out that my wife had meeting 10 minutes away so tonight I was cooking chicken on my new 18 wsm. Did well and I already had at guy on my shift offer a 100$. If I don't like it then I can double my money. Thanks again for the advice.

cookingdude555
06-06-2017, 01:53 AM
Well played ! :eusa_clap

m-fine
06-06-2017, 06:42 AM
For $50, and only 10 minutes out of the way it is a good deal. For $100 and two hours of driving, I would have waited. Congrats on the new toy.

bigpernz
06-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Nice score! You can cook a LOT of meat on the 18.5.

bucko
06-06-2017, 10:43 AM
It's funny nobody asked you how many people you will b cooking for he 18 can cook alot of food

JS-TX
06-06-2017, 11:00 AM
For smaller cooks the 18.5 is a very capable smoker.. I mean it's the same size of most kamado cookers out there and they are well loved. It's a heck of a yardbird cooker too when you take out the water pan and go direct.. great flavor. For $100, that's a good price if it's decent condition, however you are the only one that can say if it's worth the drive to go get it. Any good BBQ joints along the way? :cool: