PDA

View Full Version : Western Mini Logs-yay or nay?

Scolli
05-25-2017, 12:22 PM
I've just cleaned up my 20 year old Bandera to try smoking a brisket this weekend.

I do a lot of grilling on my Weber, but haven't used this smoker for a while and I don't have any seasoned wood on hand.

Academy has the Western Mini Logs available and was wondering what the general opinion on using these was. I saw on Franklin's BBQ show he had advised against using kiln dried wood (which is what these are), for smoking.

In a pinch, would these Mini Logs and some lump charcoal work OK? Do they tend to burn much hotter and burn up faster?

Just looking for some opinions from any of you that have used them before.
Thanks!

pjtexas1
05-25-2017, 12:23 PM
they will work but will cost a lot more per cook. in a pinch with some lump or charcoal in the mix they should be good.

Notorious Q.U.E.
05-25-2017, 12:38 PM
I've used them before and they merely okay. They do burn hot and fast, but pjtexas1 nailed it by bringing up cost. For the amount I pay at my local wood yard for my oak, cherry, peach woods, Western mini logs would give me about 1/10th the amount of wood.

The flavor was great with Western mini but I'd rather spend the money on extra meat or saving my next super cooker!

bwram1
05-25-2017, 12:45 PM
I have used the oak and pecan in my Bandera...works ok but I agree with all of the above...

Ag76
05-25-2017, 01:27 PM
Much better than just straight charcoal.

Scolli
05-25-2017, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the opinions!

I think I'll check at a local wood yard instead. More trouble, but seems like a much better deal in the long run.

Notorious Q.U.E.
05-25-2017, 08:16 PM
Undoubtedly ! I did the math and got into BBQ to where I realized I was getting ripped off buying logs and splits in packages. Wood yard was pennies on the dollar when I buy a half cord compared to me buying kingsford splits from before

SmittyJonz
05-25-2017, 09:33 PM
Go get a bag for this cook and cruise Craigslist for a 1/2 cord for latter cooks.