PDA

View Full Version : Butcher Paper - May Give In

rus_bro
05-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Well I am done with last month's first comp that I have been preparing for, SO i guess its time to get back to playing around. I have been holding onto my brisket FOIL like it had the antidote in it, BUT i think its time to try this butcher paper thing. Its hard to argue with the results im seeing and it seems to be the way most brisket cooking is going, SO who am i to be left out in the cold.

All of you that have made the change, has anyone ever gone BACK to foil after trying paper?

Also, should i expect a change in cook time? I usually let my brisket sit in the stall until im happy with the bark, because i know the jump in temp I am going to get once its in Foil. Does the Paper work the same, or should i expect it to take a little more time to beat its way out of the Stall?

rb

KevinJ
05-24-2017, 08:47 AM
Not really a fan of the self braising foil creates, I wrap with BP when I get the color/bark I'm looking for.

edit- I like to cook at 300-325 and find the stall minimal regardless of how the Brisket is wrapped.

JS-TX
05-24-2017, 08:48 AM
For comps, I've gone from paper to foil/foil pan. Brisket cooks faster and most importantly I capture all the brisket juices to moisten my slices with right before turn-in. I've done ok with paper at comps, but done even better with foil. It's just more predictable cook times in my experience.

JS-TX
05-24-2017, 08:49 AM
Not really a fan of the self braising foil creates.

Me neither, but putting the brisket back on the pit unwrapped for about 20-30 min helps the bark quite a bit.

fwdiii
05-24-2017, 12:09 PM
I went from foil to paper....but have returned back to foil. Gets through the stall quicker and the juices the foil collects are added to the sliced brisket, delicious. Bark might not be as barky as you might like, but the tenderness and additional juices added make for a great brisket dinner.

SwineGuy
05-24-2017, 12:22 PM
Switched to BP this year and have had great results. Once it gets to the color/bark I'm looking for I wrap and put it in an open pan. That way I still capture the juices in the bottom of the pan to dredge the slices through before turn-in.

txsmkmstr
05-24-2017, 02:19 PM
Just a regular backyard cooker here - I've tried BP a few times but never got consistent results. A lot could do with meat grade (choice is about the best I find) and I do miss the juices with BP

I've since switched to a foil covered pan to finish things off once a good color is achieved. I highly recommend you try the BP and see for yourself. I'm likely to try it again - sometime - in the future - maybe. :wink:

Beer/Meat/Victory
05-24-2017, 02:30 PM
I'm actually tempted to try foil out again. Did foil always over a decade ago, but recently got back in the BBQ game and have used paper due to all the buzz around it since getting back into it. I'm not unhappy with it, but theres still so many highly regarded Pitmasters not named Franklin who still use foil. I'm sure its just a matter of personal preference - Foil/Paper/Naked.

THoey1963
05-24-2017, 04:15 PM
I started out with foil, bought a roll of paper to make the switch, got my cabinet and started going nekkid the whole way. Bark has never been better. Still have the paper. I'll line a prep table with it some day...

rus_bro
05-25-2017, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I have been very happy w/ my brisket, but as a basic bbq guy..that is NEVER going to be good enough :). I have been running a full water pan in the WSM and using foil. I am going to start testing it with an empty pan and foil, then probably move to the Paper.

I recently did a cook that was under a time crunch. I usually let my brisket sit in the stall until i am happy w/ the bark, which usually takes around 4 hrs. Well short on time i let it run for close to 3 hours (in the stall for about 30 mins), but had to get it wrapped for time purposes. It came out good, BUT i didnt have the bark i usually like. Thinking i can get it set quicker w/o the full water pan. (random thought by RB).

rb