PDA

View Full Version : WSM and Drum

troy64
05-24-2017, 03:41 AM
Presently I have a WSM 22.5 and am looking to add either a 2nd OR a drum smoker. I'm not familiar with the drum smokers. Both seem to be very similar in function. Is there anything about a drum smoker that offers something more than a WSM?

PorkinButts82
05-24-2017, 08:20 AM
Presently I have a WSM 22.5 and am looking to add either a 2nd OR a drum smoker. I'm not familiar with the drum smokers. Both seem to be very similar in function. Is there anything about a drum smoker that offers something more than a WSM?
The build factor!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KevinJ
05-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Troy I had a WSM 18.5" and now cook on a Hunsaker Drum with 2 heavy duty grates and a hanging kit. I had the Weber hanging kit for the 18.5", using PBC Hooks and preferred hanging Ribs, Pork Loins, Chicken Halves vs cooking on the grate. So being able to hang is a must for me.

Reason why I went with a Drum

1) It's one piece not 3. You could attach latches to the WSM, Cajun Bandit also sells a castor and locking bracket kit to keep the bottom attached to the main body.

2) No side door, doesn't leak smoke. Replaced the WSM door with a Cajun Bandit SS door and latch, it was pretty tight after that. I never accessed the door, ran the WSM dry and never had the need to refuel.

3) Floating Lid Hinge. Added a Lid Hinge to the 18.5.

4) Bottom Intake, temps are not affected by wind, the vent system also makes it easier for the Drum to come up to the higher temps I like to cook at 300-375. Sometimes the WSM would struggle getting past 300-325 even with running all vents wide open and running the WSM dry. (I never used water in the WSM, replaced the water bowl with a clay saucer for a diffuser)

5) The Vortex Fire Basket eliminates hotspots and cleanup is easier. The WSM with diffuser in place ran hotter on the outer edge. Hunsaker sells a Vortex Fire Baskets made for the WSM.

6) The Dolly Wheel Castor setup makes it easy for me to tilt the Drum back and wheel it over grass.

One thing I really liked about the WSM is the Enamel coated body, that finish is bullet proof. The Hunsaker is painted with a High Temp Powder Coat which is durable but not as durable as Weber's Enamel.

Results on the Drum aren't really to much different from what I was getting on the WSM, but the Drum gets to temp quicker, drafts better, is more stable, easier to cleanup and just more enjoyable to cook on. IMO

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x98/zippifish/IMG_1005_zpsov8y9q2d.jpg

JS-TX
05-24-2017, 08:40 AM
Pretty much what he said ^.. haha

I presently don't cook on a drum but all the things mentioned are spot on.

daninnewjersey
05-24-2017, 08:45 AM
I've built 4 drums. My own personal experience....they're incredibly efficient, produce excellent BBQ, and can cost about 1/4 the price of a 22" Weber. Plus...there is something very satisfying about building your own smoker......especially when she turns out this beautiful....:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Steve S
05-24-2017, 10:06 AM
I get very similar results in my UDS and my WSM. If you need to add wood or fuel on a longer cook, the UDS is less convenient, but I use mine for shorter cooks, anyways. I went the route of getting a 2nd WSM before I found the UDS thread and decided I needed to build one. Even if you don't use it very often, the build was enjoyable.

Fwismoker
05-24-2017, 10:12 AM
Not a 22.5 but I love this 18.5 mini I made which is great for refueling. Just lift off the pot and and add it.

...and the Cajun Bandit Rotisserie ring fits it. She's not as shiny anymore though!

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/Jimmy%20Build/P1040026_zps5mjbhjhq.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/Jimmy%20Build/P1040026_zps5mjbhjhq.jpg.html)

troy64
05-24-2017, 10:36 AM
Troy I had a WSM 18.5" and now cook on a Hunsaker Drum with 2 heavy duty grates and a hanging kit. I had the Weber hanging kit for the 18.5", using PBC Hooks and preferred hanging Ribs, Pork Loins, Chicken Halves vs cooking on the grate. So being able to hang is a must for me.

Reason why I went with a Drum

1) It's one piece not 3. You could attach latches to the WSM, Cajun Bandit also sells a castor and locking bracket kit to keep the bottom attached to the main body.

2) No side door, doesn't leak smoke. Replaced the WSM door with a Cajun Bandit SS door and latch, it was pretty tight after that. I never accessed the door, ran the WSM dry and never had the need to refuel.

3) Floating Lid Hinge. Added a Lid Hinge to the 18.5.

4) Bottom Intake, temps are not affected by wind, the vent system also makes it easier for the Drum to come up to the higher temps I like to cook at 300-375. Sometimes the WSM would struggle getting past 300-325 even with running all vents wide open and running the WSM dry. (I never used water in the WSM, replaced the water bowl with a clay saucer for a diffuser)

5) The Vortex Fire Basket eliminates hotspots and cleanup is easier. The WSM with diffuser in place ran hotter on the outer edge. Hunsaker sells a Vortex Fire Baskets made for the WSM.

6) The Dolly Wheel Castor setup makes it easy for me to tilt the Drum back and wheel it over grass.

One thing I really liked about the WSM is the Enamel coated body, that finish is bullet proof. The Hunsaker is painted with a High Temp Powder Coat which is durable but not as durable as Weber's Enamel.

Results on the Drum aren't really to much different from what I was getting on the WSM, but the Drum gets to temp quicker, drafts better, is more stable, easier to cleanup and just more enjoyable to cook on. IMO

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x98/zippifish/IMG_1005_zpsov8y9q2d.jpg

Great information and I appreciate the detail. I won't build one, not yet anyway, but the drum does sound appealing just from the last paragraph in your response. Going to make a move real soon. Thank you!

troy64
05-24-2017, 10:42 AM
Not a 22.5 but I love this 18.5 mini I made which is great for refueling. Just lift off the pot and and add it.

...and the Cajun Bandit Rotisserie ring fits it. She's not as shiny anymore though!

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/Jimmy%20Build/P1040026_zps5mjbhjhq.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/Jimmy%20Build/P1040026_zps5mjbhjhq.jpg.html)

Nice looking setup.

Nuco59
05-24-2017, 12:37 PM
"If you need to add wood or fuel on a longer cook, the UDS is less convenient"

If you have to "add fuel or wood to your UDS on a long cook"- you made your basket too dang small.

LTG
05-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Drums with vertical intakes are not bothered by wind.
More consistent temps with 1 piece body compared to wsm.
Flavor is highly sought after on a drum with fat dripping directly on the coals. Wsm runs a diffusor.
Hot and fast is where its at whether its on a drum or an offset. Wsm just isnt made for thar.

zippy12
05-24-2017, 01:11 PM
You can cold smoke in the UDS :thumb:

DaveAlvarado
05-24-2017, 01:16 PM
Get another WSM. Remove the water pan entirely and you have a PDS (pretty drum smoker).

Ron_L
05-24-2017, 01:20 PM
I also own three Hunsaker drums and love them for all of the reasons that Kevin pointed out, but I also have two 18.5" WSMs and love them. They can do similar things, so it really comes down to preference. I am not at all handy with tools, so I bought the Hunsaker drum instead of trying to build my own.

zippy12
05-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Get another WSM. Remove the water pan entirely and you have a PDS (pretty drum smoker).

Hey dont be knocking my build :roll:

troy64
05-26-2017, 05:20 AM

Added this to the collection.

KevinJ
05-26-2017, 07:07 AM
Very nice Troy, congrats.

troy64
05-26-2017, 07:25 AM
Very nice Troy, congrats.

Thanks Kevin. This was a good compromise for me as I didn't want to build a drum smoker but certainly wanted a different cooker from the WSM. Going to put some heat to it after the weekend and get her ready. There is a little overspray (paint) on the upper inside of the drum. I've seen some discussions about prepping a drum which involves lots of heat and even wire wheels. Any advice? Thanks just the same.

rus_bro
05-26-2017, 07:44 AM

Added this to the collection.

Nice smoker... were those colors on sale? :-D

rb

Sid Post
05-26-2017, 08:14 AM
Great information and I appreciate the detail. I won't build one, not yet anyway, but the drum does sound appealing just from the last paragraph in your response. Going to make a move real soon. Thank you!

Look up Pit Barrel Cooker Co. on this site or the web. For the price of a second WSM, you have a really nice "turn key" 'factory' 30-gallon UDS. If I can't find a decent 30-gallon barrel myself, I'm probably going to buy one at some point.

troy64
05-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Nice smoker... were those colors on sale? :-D

rb

LOL!

LSU colors got me past the 3rd degree from my wife so I jumped while I could.