PDA

View Full Version : time and temp

drummy
05-23-2017, 06:58 PM
Hi all
I have some questions about a cook I am planning.
I will be cooking a 10 lb butt and a 10 lb brisket with point, side by side on my JIMMY.
I was thinking 275 for around 10 hrs.
Question is if I wrap both at IT of 150 in butcher paper what kind of time will it take to get me probe tinder?
I know it done when its done but I'm looking for a window.
Also should I remove the point from the flat to cook?

Smokiemon
05-23-2017, 08:05 PM
I would say you looking at around 1 hr 15 min per pound. I would leave the butt naked, and I wrap my briskets more on color but if I had to give you an IT on brisket around 165 or so, the last one I wrapped at 176 and was fine. It's a really loaded question because honestly every piece of meat is structured different. Butts always take me longer than Briskett in my experience. I know you don't wanna hear it's done when it's done lol. Also if your wanting to time line a Brisket Bludawgs method is pretty spot on IMO, here it is below. Good luck hope this helps.

Edit: If your specifically asking to calculate the window after wrapping, "The stall" good luck it's always different:)

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Other helpful brisket links:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170904

drummy
05-24-2017, 05:19 AM
Thanks Smokiemon Think ill give it a try

Smokiemon
05-24-2017, 07:23 AM
You bet, wish I was more help lol.

KevinJ
05-24-2017, 08:40 AM
Cooking at 300 a 9lb Butt usually takes 5.5hrs give or take and Brisket 6 to 6.5 depending on the size give or take, plus I like to add an hour rest time for Butt's and a 2 hour rest time for Brisket. Usually wrap Butts at 3.5 to 4hrs, when I get the bark/color I'm looking for and Brisket at 4hrs.

JS-TX
05-24-2017, 10:02 AM
Paper doesn't speed up cooking in my experience. Bludawg goes direct.. no diffuser in his cooker, which makes a difference.

drummy
05-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Cooking at 300 a 9lb Butt usually takes 5.5hrs give or take and Brisket 6 to 6.5 depending on the size give or take, plus I like to add an hour rest time for Butt's and a 2 hour rest time for Brisket. Usually wrap Butts at 3.5 to 4hrs, when I get the bark/color I'm looking for and Brisket at 4hrs.

KevinJ
What are you using to wrap with, foil or paper?

KevinJ
05-24-2017, 10:54 AM
Brisket is always BP, Butts sometimes I'll use BP other times I will pan and cover with foil to save drippings. When the Butt is tender and ready to rest, pour the drippings into a clear glass or jar put it in the fridge so I can separate the fat from the drippings, reheat and pour back on to the meat when I'm ready to serve. I don't really see that much of a difference in cook times either way.