PDA

View Full Version : Costco Prime Brisket

Fizzerpilot
05-21-2017, 11:50 AM
So, a couple weeks back I smoked up a Walmart Select brisket... and, it was ok.

I've had this Prime in my fridge for a couple weeks, and just got her trimmed and ready for the Bludawg treatment tomorrow.

It started at 18.3lbs, and trimmed down to 11lbs. The interface between the point and flat was seriously 1.5" thick vein of fat. Now, on my Select brisket I trimmed this area down a bit, but it didn't run very deep. This brisket had that +1" vein of fat through nearly the entire interface. I left some in there, but trimmed the bulk of it, as it would not render out in my estimation.

The fat cap needed little trimming, it was nearly perfect.

More to come.

cheez59
05-21-2017, 12:04 PM
I've got a Costco prime CAB in the freezer that will be cooked in a couple weeks. I sure hope it doesn't lose nearly 40% of it's weight when I trim it.

Fizzerpilot
05-21-2017, 12:06 PM
I was shocked... the exterior wasn't in need of much trimming, but that interface between the point and flat was INSANE

HuskyJW
05-21-2017, 12:06 PM
This is twice now I have heard complaints of the fat left on Costco's brisket. It seems to me to have to trim seven pounds of fat off a prime brisket is inexcusable. I badly want to buy one every time I'm going to Costco but posts like this make me gunshot. I won't spend $54 for a simply an 11 pound brisket.

Fizzerpilot
05-21-2017, 12:08 PM
The problem is, it wasn't on the exterior, it was inside the brisket... so, they really cannot obtain a better trim prior to packaging, but it was ridiculous.

smoke ninja
05-21-2017, 01:19 PM
Ive noticed a bit more fat loss on costco primes than others. It may be jyst personal experience but its still worth it to me. I really like how they turn out

WareZdaBeef
05-21-2017, 01:30 PM
This is twice now I have heard complaints of the fat left on Costco's brisket. It seems to me to have to trim seven pounds of fat off a prime brisket is inexcusable. I badly want to buy one every time I'm going to Costco but posts like this make me gunshot. I won't spend $54 for a simply an 11 pound brisket.

This is exactly why i refuse to buy a brisket unless its under $3/lb
another issue i have with buying packers is if the tail end of the flat is under 1" thick. I am not a fan of the flat to begin with and that just makes or breaks it for me.

I wish there was a source for buying just the Point in my area. Only Points sold in my area is corned.

Pstores
05-21-2017, 02:20 PM
This is exactly why i refuse to buy a brisket unless its under $3/lb
another issue i have with buying packers is if the tail end of the flat is under 1" thick. I am not a fan of the flat to begin with and that just makes or breaks it for me.

I wish there was a source for buying just the Point in my area. Only Points sold in my area is corned.

I can't find one for under $10 a pound here.... Lol

WareZdaBeef
05-21-2017, 04:31 PM
I can't find one for under $10 a pound here.... Lol

I was referring to Select or choice (if lucky) under $3/lb. You lose soo much weight in trimming that your paying atleast $6/lb, not to mention how much you lose when its done cooked.

This is why i will never pay more then $3/lb. And to be honest, i prefer beef short ribs or beef back ribs which cost between $3 to $6/lb and come out better then any select or choice brisket and less loss.

Pstores
05-21-2017, 04:42 PM
I was referring to Select or choice (if lucky) under $3/lb. You lose soo much weight in trimming that your paying atleast $6/lb, not to mention how much you lose when its done cooked.

This is why i will never pay more then $3/lb. And to be honest, i prefer beef short ribs or beef back ribs which cost between $3 to $6/lb and come out better then any select or choice brisket and less loss.

I was also..... The prime is usually $14 per pound

ssv3
05-21-2017, 04:50 PM
I almost exclusively buy Costco primes and never had that much loss. I always shoot for the 14-16 lbers and trim 2lbs to 3lbs max. I don't go for the big briskets as I've noticed way too much fat where you described.

Burnt at Both Endz
05-21-2017, 04:55 PM
I almost exclusively buy Costco primes and never had that much loss. I always shoot for the 14-16 lbers and trim 2lbs to 3lbs max. I don't go for the big briskets as I've noticed way too much fat where you described.

15# briskets are the ticket.......

SmokerKing
05-21-2017, 05:46 PM
I had to trim very little off my last two Costco Prime briskets I smoked.

Fizzerpilot
05-21-2017, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the information, I will look for smaller packers there. This one was massive...

pjtexas1
05-21-2017, 09:27 PM

I like them 12LBS or smaller so this explains why I never had this issue. Never been to costco but I don't see how they can control the fat between the point and flat.

WareZdaBeef
05-21-2017, 09:41 PM
I was also..... The prime is usually $14 per pound

Thats insane. If i was you, i would start pricing beef short ribs or beef back ribs. Ask anyone on this site which they prefer taste/texture wise. And lets assume select/choice brisket or short rib. Most would say short rib. I think the only reason brisket is so popular is due to guys in places like Texas getting prime for $3-$4/lb.

DBBQ
05-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Last costco brisket I got Prime, I think it was like 15 or 16 lbs...weighed the trimmings and it was nearly 4 lbs.

ehs5mw
05-22-2017, 12:09 AM
Thats insane. If i was you, i would start pricing beef short ribs or beef back ribs. Ask anyone on this site which they prefer taste/texture wise. And lets assume select/choice brisket or short rib. Most would say short rib. I think the only reason brisket is so popular is due to guys in places like Texas getting prime for $3-$4/lb.

I have access to both, and I don't agree with you completely. I find the two to be different altogether. While I absolutely love beef short ribs now (as long as they have a decent amount of meat), sometimes brisket hits a spot that ribs just can't. Perhaps the opposite is also true. Additionally, while you have to trim a brisket, it is also important to remember that there are no bones in a brisket; how much meat are you getting per pound of short ribs vs. brisket? I truly don't know the answer. I find both to be delicious, though.

Fizzerpilot
05-22-2017, 05:27 AM
I did buy the brisket for $2.99/lb... but 7lbs is a lot of fat... a lot.

Fizzerpilot
05-22-2017, 09:51 AM
Here is the fat cap, the point I trimmed a bit, there was quite a lot of firm white fat up there, it looks marbled nicely though.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj65/erinwelniak/IMG_0721_zpsjriq64ap.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/erinwelniak/media/IMG_0721_zpsjriq64ap.jpg.html)

Fizzerpilot
05-22-2017, 09:53 AM
Here is the flat, literally, the flat extends from end to end. The interface between the point and flat, is nearly the entire brisket. Which I hope, will help keep the flat moist.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj65/erinwelniak/IMG_0722_zpspseivbqz.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/erinwelniak/media/IMG_0722_zpspseivbqz.jpg.html)

Fizzerpilot
05-22-2017, 09:54 AM
Rubbed and ready. I won't see it for 4 hours.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj65/erinwelniak/IMG_0723_zpsuzrpeajh.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/erinwelniak/media/IMG_0723_zpsuzrpeajh.jpg.html)

Fizzerpilot
05-22-2017, 01:00 PM
So we are four hours in, time to wrap. This brisket feels different than my last. This one felt much more gelatinous than the Select I smoked last. It wiggled as I dropped it onto the tray for wrapping...

I also had to bite the end of the fingertips on my BBQ gloves, because they were too slippery to pull off. Oh lawd... that flavor.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj65/erinwelniak/IMG_0727_zpsc2ceyfan.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/erinwelniak/media/IMG_0727_zpsc2ceyfan.jpg.html)
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj65/erinwelniak/IMG_0728_zpsthm6rhl3.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/erinwelniak/media/IMG_0728_zpsthm6rhl3.jpg.html)

m-fine
05-22-2017, 02:40 PM
A Prime grade is going to have more fat. That is what makes it special. As said, the smaller ones will give a better yield, I shoot for 14-15lb full packers. That said, I prefer having the fat there to self baste and don't trim too much. That big layer of fat is very easy to remove after cooking as well, and if you give your guests a knife and fork, they can trim their slices to their personal desires.

2000milesofsmoke
05-22-2017, 03:49 PM
Still think it is an amazing deal at Costco. Most times I am paying around $2.89 a pound for PRIME! Can afford to lose a bit extra at that price, although I have never noticed 40%...

Big-Joe
05-22-2017, 03:58 PM
Lookin good :pop2:

chukknob
05-22-2017, 06:05 PM
Just cooked a Costco prime on Saturday. 12 pounds and hardly trimmed any fat. Maybe a pound. Maybe.

Pstores
05-22-2017, 07:13 PM

The cost of short ribs is crazy.... I'll buy brisket before the short ribs. Lol....

WareZdaBeef
05-22-2017, 08:25 PM
The cost of short ribs is crazy.... I'll buy brisket before the short ribs. Lol....

Man, it must really suck to buy meat in your area. In my area a good price is usually $2.69/lb for beef bacj ribs and $5.99/lb for choice grade short ribs.

If i was forced to live in your area i would probably stick to pork butts.

Fizzerpilot
05-22-2017, 09:25 PM
I'm stepping away from brisket for a bit... I was not pleased. The point, was perfect, even my kids gobbled it up.

The flat, was tough and somewhat dry.

I'm just not getting it, and it's expensive to practice. Ribs and butts in the coming weeks. The brisket is going into chili

sudsandswine
05-22-2017, 10:00 PM
Separate them and cook individually to the appropriate temp. What temps did you pull at? Did it pass the probe test?

ssv3
05-22-2017, 10:05 PM
Sounds like it was undercooked.

Fizzerpilot
05-23-2017, 11:25 AM
I think it was, the connective tissue was still there. I don't cook to a temp, I probed it, and it seemed pretty damned tender with the probe... but after the two hour rest, it was clear I was mistaken.

My last brisket was a SELECT, and maybe a smidge over cooked, but it was so much better.

THoey1963
05-23-2017, 11:40 AM
I have three Prime packers (18, 18, 17 pounds) in the fridge now for a friend's son's graduation party on 06/03. The friend said I make the best brisket she's ever tasted. Quite the compliment, but I said she needed to try more briskets. :mrgreen:

I bought them at HEB for $2.99 a pound. I accidentally punctured one of the Cryo wraps and had to reseal. My biggest bags are the gallon size, so I had to trim prior to being able to get it in the bag. Didn't weigh it, but probably lost about 4 pounds, most of it coming from in between the flat and the point. I consider this normal for Primes.

I normally like between 16 to 18 pounders, just based off I usually know how much I will get out of them. If I was to go smaller so that there might be less fat, I would need a fourth brisket. Not really sure I would save that much...

I got asked this morning to make three more briskets for a party this Sunday. Running out of space in the fridge. Going to have to buy today and put them in a cooler with a lot of ice. Actually, I'll probably put those for next weekend in the cooler and those for this weekend in the fridge. Won't hurt for those to refreeze a little for a couple days. They'll thaw when I move them back.

Fizzerpilot
06-15-2017, 06:38 AM
I started another thread yesterday. Had a GFS Choice brisket from their latest sale in the fridge. 13.25lbs, trimmed to 11.25lbs. A very nice packer. Remember, this 18+lb brisket trimmed down to 11lbs!

Anyway... I used Bludawgs method again, and it was perfect. Photos in the other thread... but the point I was almost unable to cube, it was like jello. The flat was perfectly tender, melt in your mouth, dripping with juices.

Thanks to all those who helped on this forum... I'm so proud to have turned out a great brisket!

Dr. Trout Bum
06-15-2017, 04:21 PM
Thanks to all those who helped on this forum... I'm so proud to have turned out a great brisket!

Congrats!

McSpazatron
06-15-2017, 08:39 PM
I started another thread yesterday. Had a GFS Choice brisket from their latest sale in the fridge. 13.25lbs, trimmed to 11.25lbs. A very nice packer. Remember, this 18+lb brisket trimmed down to 11lbs!

Anyway... I used Bludawgs method again, and it was perfect. Photos in the other thread... but the point I was almost unable to cube, it was like jello. The flat was perfectly tender, melt in your mouth, dripping with juices.

Condolences on your prime. Ive only cooked costco primes (ever), and still find it challenging at time to know when the flat is done. Youve got me curious on getting a select just for comparison.

Regarding the fat to meat ratio, I usually end up trimming at least a few pounds off a costco prime. However, I recommend putting that fat into a disposable alum pan, and rendering it out. I keep the melted fat, put it in a jar, and use it to fry eggs or other things. I heard you can make some mean french fries cooked in beef fat.

offshore_SoLA
06-15-2017, 10:53 PM
Condolences on your prime. Ive only cooked costco primes (ever), and still find it challenging at time to know when the flat is done. Youve got me curious on getting a select just for comparison.

Regarding the fat to meat ratio, I usually end up trimming at least a few pounds off a costco prime. However, I recommend putting that fat into a disposable alum pan, and rendering it out. I keep the melted fat, put it in a jar, and use it to fry eggs or other things. I heard you can make some mean french fries cooked in beef fat.

mcdonalds once used beef fat to cook fries.

Fizzerpilot
06-16-2017, 08:12 AM
I do think that I undercooked the Prime... my biggest issue, after smoking an epic Choice packer from GFS, is that I trimmed off 7 pounds!

The Costco packer cost me $4.34/lb after trimming
The GFS cost was $2.81/lb after trimming

7 pounds, is almost a small full packer!

hammb
06-16-2017, 08:33 AM
I take my brisket fat trimmings and go to the local meat market to buy whatever lean cut I can get cheapest. Typically some round or sirloin; or even better yet, both. Use the meat grinder and make some epic hamburger.

I'll typically do it up at like a 70/30 ratio too. Makes the best burgers...fatty and juicy.

Fizzerpilot
06-16-2017, 01:05 PM
I understand there are ways to use the fat... but losing 38% of a brisket to trimming, is crazy.

McSpazatron
06-16-2017, 05:09 PM
I understand there are ways to use the fat... but losing 38% of a brisket to trimming, is crazy.

Yeah, some have been pretty ridiculous, but most have been more reasonable for me. I get them because they are the best source for briskets in my area and I dont want another membership. However, my mom has a sams membership, and I think Ill be tagging along next time just to try out a select for comparison.

Did you notice any difference in flavor between the two grades?

Fizzerpilot
06-18-2017, 01:17 PM
GFS was Choice. COSTCO was prime. I preferred the Choice, but admittedly the Prime was not cooked well.

GFS requires no membership. I will try another Prime from Costco, but if I have the same results, I'm out. This Choice is pretty damn great.

McSpazatron
06-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Wait a minute! Ive got GFS in my area!! Need to go check if they stock packers.

Rodbolt
06-22-2017, 10:40 AM
I've smoked a few dozen Costco prime briskets, never had excessive fat to be trimmed. 38% fat would reduce the bulk of the brisket to less than half, fat weights light you know...

Sure there is additional fat between the point and flat, prime is extra marbling but extra fat elsewhere too. Sam's choice grade are very good, about the same amount of trimming as Costco's but the prime beats the choice - every time. Cooking for groups I measure shrinkage and its not just bacon/pork belly that loses from the package to the table!

Pork loin, chicken breast and sirloin if your trying to advoid shrinkage - l like ribeye :)