PDA

View Full Version : my new toy! Assassin 17

allancoh
05-15-2017, 07:43 PM
got myself an assassin 17! went a year without a smoke due to work and moving. My dad took the Vision Kamado while i was gone and loved it so i couldn't take it back...finally decided it was time for a new one! Assassin was great to work with over the phone and the turn around was very fast. I ordered it before the whole stumps ordeal went down on the site. but glad i chose assassin.

Got it about 2 weeks ago and hoping to fire it up this weekend and throw up some pictures of a cook! I upgraded to an IQ130 and added an extra rack/runner. Any assassin users have tips on fire control with it? i read some people added wood to the charcoal chute instead of just the fire box.

pjtexas1
05-15-2017, 07:56 PM
Congrats! That's a really nice cooker.

SmittyJonz
05-15-2017, 08:04 PM
Oh Ya!

PBrug
05-15-2017, 08:05 PM
Congrats!!!

I have an Assassin 24, I picked up used a little over a year ago. It is pretty much set and forget with a Guru-DigiQ. I use Kingsford Competion with no issues. Make sure you clean the ash out good between cooks so the air flow is not restricted. I also use good sized, thick 8" - 9" splits, instead of little chucks below the charcoal. Results in better smoke flavor and they last way longer. Basiclly catch fire and burn clean after a little while.

Enjoy what I think is a great cooker!!!

dannypat21
05-15-2017, 08:07 PM
Congrats on the new cooker! Can't wait to see some food coming off of it.

SmokinBuddha
05-15-2017, 08:30 PM
Congrats! Looks very nice!

KevinJ
05-15-2017, 08:48 PM
Assassin makes a great cooker, congrats.

locosmoke
05-15-2017, 08:55 PM
looks great! what stumps thing?

gun smoke
05-15-2017, 08:56 PM
sweet cooker!!! congrats

allancoh
05-15-2017, 09:06 PM
locosmoke - look here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245180&highlight=stumps

thanks! i just cut up some splits but most are still decent size, ill keep that in mind for batch of wood.

Congrats!!!

I have an Assassin 24, I picked up used a little over a year ago. It is pretty much set and forget with a Guru-DigiQ. I use Kingsford Competion with no issues. Make sure you clean the ash out good between cooks so the air flow is not restricted. I also use good sized, thick 8" - 9" splits, instead of little chucks below the charcoal. Results in better smoke flavor and they last way longer. Basiclly catch fire and burn clean after a little while.

Enjoy what I think is a great cooker!!!

locosmoke
05-15-2017, 09:36 PM
thanks for link

BBQ Freak
05-15-2017, 10:25 PM
congrats on you new smoker and have a Assassin grill and love it but I want a gravity fed someday again for overnight cooks .

Smoking Piney
05-16-2017, 07:04 AM
Congrats on your new Assassin! :-D

I own an Assassin 24 and I love it. With the IQ, controlling pit temp is as easy as setting and clicking.

A few tips:

I cover the grease catcher with aluminum foil. It makes cleanup a lot easier. Make sure the drain tube is clear, especially after a few cooks - it can get clogged with grease.

Don't forget the drip pan under the pit. I did - just once. :oops:

I put a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil between the coal door and chute. That area sees a lot moisture during a cook and the foil helps to keep it away from the gasket.

I put wood chunks in the ash pan and rattle the fire grate to get some hot embers on them to get them smoking. I get plenty of smoke flavor.

Have fun, it's an awesome cooker!

Smokey Lonesome
05-16-2017, 07:56 AM
Nice cooker! How you could have this sitting around for 2 weeks and not test driving is an exercise in restraint!

Smoking Piney
05-16-2017, 08:00 AM
How you could have this sitting around for 2 weeks and not test driving is an exercise in restraint!

Agree. I don't have anywhere near that level of self restraint.

I had a seasoning fire with a couple of fatties going in mine about an hour after it was delivered. :-D

BuckN BBQ
05-16-2017, 08:12 AM
Congratulations!! She sure is purdy. I have a 28 on order after selling my Shirley :wacko:. I can't wait to see some cooking pictures.

JS-TX
05-16-2017, 08:44 AM
congrats on the cooker!

olewarthog
05-16-2017, 10:26 AM
You got yourself a fine cooking machine. I have had a 17 for about a year now. I have the IQ120 & it holds temps rock solid. I have tried lump charcoal, but have settled on either Kingsford Comp or Stubbs. I only put wood in the fire box pan. As mentioned above, wrap the inside drip pan with foil for easy cleanup. I also keep a doubled sheet of foil to go on the top of the charcoal chute. I use a hand held propane torch to light the fire. I can be up to temp in about 45 mins-hour. I'll be glad to answer any questions. Welcome to #teamassassin

mcyork28
05-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Congrats! I have been considering picking up an Assassin. Do you mind me asking how much it costs to ship to the west coast?

Thanks,

allancoh
05-16-2017, 12:46 PM
mcyork28 - to los angeles,ca it was a whopping $583 :\ i originally considered contacting KAT smokers since he is located here in CA to see if he can make a gravity fed. i've heard good things about their smokers but he tried selling me on their Vault and never got back to me on the gravity fed.

:cry: its terrible! all i'm thinking about is firing it up but haven't been home long enough. i feel like it just taunts me now! this weekend ill fire it up, season with some bacon and fatties, and probably throw some chicken on there. once i get the temperature control down i'll move on to brisket and ribs on it.

Agree. I don't have anywhere near that level of self restraint.

I had a seasoning fire with a couple of fatties going in mine about an hour after it was delivered. :-D

olewarthog and smoking pine - so you guys are saying to put foil at the top of the chute after loading it with charcoal? and then just close the chute with the foil covering the gasket.

mcyork28
05-16-2017, 03:13 PM
Ouch! The Vault looks like a nice smoker and has a lot of capacity. I am in the middle of switching jobs so It'll be a few months before I am ready to pull the trigger. I have a hard time with a 6 month lead time though which I think is what he lists on his website.

mcyork28 - to los angeles,ca it was a whopping $583 :\ i originally considered contacting KAT smokers since he is located here in CA to see if he can make a gravity fed. i've heard good things about their smokers but he tried selling me on their Vault and never got back to me on the gravity fed.

:cry: its terrible! all i'm thinking about is firing it up but haven't been home long enough. i feel like it just taunts me now! this weekend ill fire it up, season with some bacon and fatties, and probably throw some chicken on there. once i get the temperature control down i'll move on to brisket and ribs on it.

olewarthog and smoking pine - so you guys are saying to put foil at the top of the chute after loading it with charcoal? and then just close the chute with the foil covering the gasket.

NCT
05-16-2017, 06:25 PM
I use the mini logs from academy, not sure if y'all have those in Cali.

SmokinRS1
05-16-2017, 06:32 PM
Congrats. send some pics.

Smoking Piney
05-17-2017, 07:18 AM

Yes. It keeps the moisture trapped over the chute and away from your gasket. When the pit is cooled down, I open the coal chute door and blot off the water that forms there to keep rust away.

Don't flip out when, after a few cooks, you see the paint blistering around the coal chute opening - unavoidable. The paint around my gasket still looks fine, though.

PM me if you have any other questions. I'll be glad to answer them.

olewarthog
05-19-2017, 03:19 PM
I use a doubled piece of foil just big enough to cover the top of chute opening. It does not go over the gasket.