PDA

View Full Version : VERY expensive apple wood--a little bit of a story

pjess50
05-06-2017, 04:39 PM
I had opportunity to cut down a small, dead apple tree this morning out of a local church orchard. I thought this would be awesome and so took my saw and drove my 1994 Land Cruiser (heavy truck) back into the orchard and started doing my thing, not noticing that they had started the irrigation. Ended up having to cross through the irrigated partsto get out and I almost made it... until I sank to the axles.
A friend with a diesel GMC 4x4 tried to pull me out and we ended up breaking two tow straps. Meanwhile, i stupidly left my phone on top of a different vehicle which drove off...i found my phone about 1/4 mile down the road and of course, someone had run over it. I ended up calling a tow truck (borrowed phone) and he winched me out.
So let's tally everything up:
$78 for the tow truck
$550 pay off the old phone and buy a cheapo one to replace.
$20 at the car wash spraying off the truck on the outside and underneath
$20 to replace my buddy's tow straps (I won't count the cost of my strap that broke.

Total is $668 for some really nice apple wood chunks. I'm so pleased! :doh:
I actually had a lot of fun playing with the chainsaw and getting muddy so all is not lost!

4ever3
05-06-2017, 04:51 PM
OUCH!!!

That's the most expensive free wood I've ever heard of!

Stingerhook
05-06-2017, 04:52 PM
Nice apple wood.

Sorry bout the rest.

KevinJ
05-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Am I seeing a new MasterCard priceless commercial or nah. :grin:

IamMadMan
05-06-2017, 05:16 PM
Wow.....

Sorry for your mishap.....

Most orchards trim/cut in January, but in Arizona I don't think there will be cold frozen ground to stop you from sinking.

Inthewoods
05-06-2017, 05:19 PM
You must be my long lost brother!

-D

ronbrad62
05-06-2017, 05:41 PM
I feel your pain. I have had several (mis)adventures that ended not so glamorously. Hey, it can only get better from here, right?

pjess50
05-06-2017, 05:57 PM
Wow.....

Sorry for your mishap.....

Most orchards trim/cut in January, but in Arizona I don't think there will be cold frozen ground to stop you from sinking.

Yes, it's 97 degrees here today... yesterday was 108. It was dead wood so no trimming, just removal.
I'm just thankful to have a job and so can afford to screw up once in a while.

pjess50
05-06-2017, 05:58 PM
You must be my long lost brother!

-D

Ha, at long last we've found each other!

Jason TQ
05-06-2017, 06:13 PM
I mean you at least got some apple wood out of it. I think I had some long nights at the shoe show that cost about the same and I didn't leave with anything........other than glitter and a hangover :becky:

Hoss
05-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Just wait until they send you the bill for filling in the ruts you made in their orchard.:shock:

MattG
05-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Ummm Academy Sports sells Apple wood.

Too soon? :becky::becky::becky:

pjess50
05-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Ummm Academy Sports sells Apple wood.

Too soon? :becky::becky::becky:

Yes, but mine is now considered "special" apple wood

WareZdaBeef
05-06-2017, 09:13 PM
I would reserve that wood for only prime or waygu grade cuts.

McSpazatron
05-06-2017, 09:16 PM
Boy that stinks. But the apple wood chunks look nice!

If it makes you feel any better, I once spent the better part of two days with a buddy bringing down a huge oak tree, and chopping it up into nice splits. I bought a chain saw for the job. Rented a splitter too. It was my first tree, all very exciting. Only after we started splitting did we find out it wasn't oak. We split down a full cord of.... wait for it.... cottonwood!!!

Four years later, most of is still in my backyard.

pjess50
05-06-2017, 10:02 PM
Boy that stinks. But the apple wood chunks look nice!

If it makes you feel any better, I once spent the better part of two days with a buddy bringing down a huge oak tree, and chopping it up into nice splits. I bought a chain saw for the job. Rented a splitter too. It was my first tree, all very exciting. Only after we started splitting did we find out it wasn't oak. We split down a full cord of.... wait for it.... cottonwood!!!

Four years later, most of is still in my backyard.

This is awsome!

Joe Black
05-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Man, that's really a bummer. I hope you can use that apple wood without any rotten memories. It looks really good.

GLOCKer
05-08-2017, 11:55 AM
Cool truck! Sorry to hear of your troubles but I like your ride! :)

DN1LE
05-08-2017, 12:32 PM
I was just given a lead on some Apple trees I can have if I cut and haul. Will make mental note not to repeat. Hope your cook goes better.

THoey1963
05-08-2017, 01:21 PM
Ouch. I admit I laughed when I saw the final picture of three buckets of wood...

BillN
05-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Oh LORD I feel for you...

Smokiemon
05-08-2017, 06:54 PM
Wow that's rough. But when ever you do use the wood, I bet you crack a smile. Can't buy that at Academy :)

hachi-roku_fan
05-08-2017, 07:29 PM
Oh man! Nice 80 though!

SmittyJonz
05-08-2017, 08:52 PM
WOW - only $78 for a Tow Truck.!

pjess50
05-08-2017, 11:13 PM
Cool truck! Sorry to hear of your troubles but I like your ride! :)

Oh LORD I feel for you...

Oh man! Nice 80 though!

Thanks for all the encouraging words. It took me a while (years) to figure out the value of a good hobby... smoking meat and my Cruiser are mine and they both make me happy

El Ropo
05-09-2017, 06:27 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I work in an electronics reclamation center. We purchase large lots of phones that were exchanged, returned, insurance claims,etc. I see probably over 1000 phones a month that are in worse shape than that Samsung.

So what I'm saying is you are definitely not the only one to do something like this. It happens every day. Just last week I had an iphone 7 plus in my hand that looked like it had been clamped in a vise at the half way mark, and pounded on by a sledge hammer. It was shaped like an "L".

Have also seen new expensive phones that appear to have been shot with various caliber weapons. Also saw one that looked like it had been set on a drill press and had a few holes drilled in it. But falling off a moving vehicle and getting run over by another vehicle is pretty common.

cricky101
05-09-2017, 01:36 PM
I bet that cell phone screen will buff right out :-P

WHS88
05-09-2017, 04:26 PM
I think if us amateurs cut down enough trees we all wind up with a story. A buddy and I were cutting down a big hickory tree in my yard to make room for where I wanted to move the kids trampoline. We moved everything out of the way including the trampoline to a "safe" location. Down comes the tree straight through the middle of the trampoline. Looked like a giant hickory taco! Wife walked out the back door just in time to see the tree falls, saw the results and turned around and went back in the house. Oh well, I still wound up with a huge supply of good Q wood.