PDA

View Full Version : 45 Minute Ribs

Moose
05-01-2017, 02:33 PM
Yesterday we had a guest over for dinner, and The Missus requested ribs, so I picked up a rack of pork back ribs along with a bunch of chicken wings.

Being that the day slipped by timewise, I decided to do them on the Weber OTG with my rotisserie kit as I've had good results in getting them done in under 2 hours. Unfortunately, I used WAY too much charcoal, so the kettle was running much hotter than usual. I decided to put them on anyway. Also added some nice sized hunks of cherry for smoke flavor. The ribs were dusted with Oakridge Secret Weapon.

Here's what they looked like at 35 minutes:

https://youtu.be/msWho_KaJLs?list=UUB-qIsYumD5vJFxtCN63lpQ

I took them off 10 minutes later, as they were most definitely done. All in all, the ribs were very good. I would have had better results using my Kamado, which is my go-to rib cooker, but didn't have time for that.

tonyjohnson619
05-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Those look awesome.. I cook some in a hour on my kettle once an was really surprised how good they are

fwdiii
05-01-2017, 02:37 PM
Those ribs looked good.....never tried cooking them that fast. Interesting!

Jrogers84
05-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Do you know what temp you were cooking at?

Fwismoker
05-01-2017, 02:40 PM
I've done lots of BB ribs that fast (always good) but now finding myself slowing it down a bit. Probably just because there's more time to sit and enjoy watching them!

Moose
05-01-2017, 02:41 PM
Do you know what temp you were cooking at?

No idea as my kettle lid doesn't have a thermo, but my guess would be around 375-400 based on how quickly they cooked.

dgaddis1
05-01-2017, 02:55 PM
I've done grilled spare ribs before, on my Egg, temp grate temp around 500*F, cooked for ~30mins. I think (but am not certain) I cooked them indirect, I know I didn't turn them over. Here's the recipe (wife found it somewhere) :: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-italian-spareribs

They were the best ribs I've ever had.

http://i.imgur.com/0sXjUfFh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BRAcQADh.jpg

ssv3
05-01-2017, 04:24 PM
They look delicious!

Taylormade
05-01-2017, 07:06 PM
I relayed a story here recently where I had a buddy from Mexico pop in and want ribs unexpected. I cooked them on the egg for just over 2 hours at 300 and they were spectacular. He raved on and on. I told him that next time if he gave me more time, I'd blow his mind. He did, I cooked them for 5 hours at 225 and he preferred the quick cook hands down.

I've got mine down to about 3.5 hours now on the offset. Nowhere near 45 minutes though, lol... well done sir!

robert-r
05-01-2017, 07:58 PM
I love rotisserie ribs & yours look super!
Never done them at those temps, though.

IXL
05-01-2017, 08:12 PM
I believe the Vergos' Rendezvous restaurant in Memphis is known for their hot-and-fast grilled ribs.

mrbill
05-02-2017, 12:08 AM
several moons ago i watched a show on travel channel or food network hosted by guy fieri, if i remember right, it was a tailgate cookoff. one of the competitors cooked ribs and did them in about 45min. i can't remember if it was guy or another judge who commented they couldn't believe a 45min rib could be so good.

just wanted to post that in support of the fact that ribs can be done well w/o being done slow.

McSpazatron
05-02-2017, 12:28 AM
I believe the Vergos' Rendezvous restaurant in Memphis is known for their hot-and-fast grilled ribs.

Interesting. How is it that they do that without charing them to charcoal? Are they constantly flipping?

You guys are getting me thinking. I might try fast ribs next time, not grilled though...that sounds like work.

tom b
05-02-2017, 12:33 AM
this is blowing my mind

Mikebeme
05-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Great job Moose, I want to try that, but have to figure out how to get two racks on the spit, one rack won't feed 5 of us........I know the octoforks could do it

El_coqui
05-02-2017, 11:23 AM
Interesting. How is it that they do that without charing them to charcoal? Are they constantly flipping?

You guys are getting me thinking. I might try fast ribs next time, not grilled though...that sounds like work.

Constant flipping and i think they mop too....dont quote me on the mop....been a minute since I saw that episode....Diners, Drive ins and dives

Moose
05-02-2017, 11:51 AM
If there was one criticism I had about the ribs, it was that they were a bit dry due to the high/direct heat. Some years back on another rib cook, I lost control of the temp on my kamado, and it was running about 325. I put the ribs on anyway, and they took about 90 minutes. Other than the fact that there wasn't much of a smoke ring, they were every bit as good as the ribs I cook at 275.

Sevengoals
05-02-2017, 05:44 PM
That looks fantastic!