PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Joe Premium

bstomper
04-27-2017, 08:16 PM
Does anyone have one of these portable grills, if so could you please school me in their operation. I bought the premium instead of the silver because I liked the idea that the carrying handle would keep the lid on during transpot and when it is folded back it doubles for a place to put the lid, very similar to how the master touch stores the lid. Nice little grill but I can't get any heat out of mine and if I put the lid on the coals will eventualy go out. I blame it on the air intake vent location. The air intake vents on the premium are above the charcoal grate on the sides but on the silver it is on the bottom (where it should be). Never heard of this problem until I had one. Am I doing something wrong during operation or is this a flaw in webers design. I contacted weber and of course they have never heard of this problem before. I have seen on the net where people instal the sjs air intake on the bottom of the bowl and it works great after that. I have tried to find one the vents but I live north of the border and cannot find one anywhere here to get them. I have found then in the US but with the shipping it cost more than just going out and buying a new sjs.

Ag76
04-27-2017, 08:34 PM
That's a new one on me. My Smokey Joe is the silver which works great. I really have not looked at the gold, and would not have thought to look for that. Good luck.

gtsum
04-27-2017, 08:35 PM
I have a jumbo joe and used it last year for camping. Had the carrying handle that held the lid. Air Intake vents are below the charcoal grate. I hated it honestly. Not enough air intake to keep fire going when lid is on (tried lump and kbb). Very uneven temp across the grate due to poor vent locations. Not enough distance between the food grate and the charcoal either. I tossed mine in the trash and went with an akorn jr (was going to get a joe jr, but for $145, the akorn jr is a steal for a portable camper grill).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ag76
04-27-2017, 08:37 PM
I have a jumbo joe and used it last year for camping. Had the carrying handle that held the lid. Air Intake vents are below the charcoal grate. I hated it honestly. Not enough air intake to keep fire going when lid is on (tried lump and kbb). Very uneven temp across the grate due to poor vent locations. Not enough distance between the food grate and the charcoal either. I tossed mine in the trash and went with an akorn jr (was going to get a joe jr, but for $145, the akorn jr is a steal for a portable camper grill).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have never had any problems with mine?

bstomper
04-27-2017, 08:41 PM
I'm actully thinking of drilling a couple holes below the charcoal grate and just using the lid vent to control the flow. Not sure if that would work but I guess I really have no choice at this point, It's realy useless the way it is.

Ag76
04-27-2017, 08:54 PM
I leave all of my vents all the way open all of the time.