PDA

View Full Version : Creekstone brisket sale

bbqwizard
04-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Creekstone Farms is having a sale on their "Master Chef Choice" briskets. $59.99 each.

I have ordered these before from them. In my experience they are fairly close to prime grade, and the quality of their butchery is consistent.

EricD
04-26-2017, 10:38 AM
I just got their email!

Burnt at Both Endz
04-26-2017, 10:47 AM
I just ordered three, thanks!

cayenne
04-26-2017, 11:04 AM
Creekstone Farms is having a sale on their "Master Chef Choice" briskets. $59.99 each.

Yikes, that sounds $$$$$$$$

How much per/lb is that?

I'm guessing this is a choice grade brisket...for $60 whole?

I usually see them for like $1.99/lb regular price here for choice whole briskets...that would be only about $23.88 for a 12lb roast.

Is there something special about the Creekstone Farms brisket?

Just curious....

C

Jrogers84
04-26-2017, 11:15 AM
shows Choice grade, 14 lbs approx.

bbqwizard
04-26-2017, 11:40 AM
Yikes, that sounds $$$$$$$$

How much per/lb is that?

I'm guessing this is a choice grade brisket...for $60 whole?

I usually see them for like $1.99/lb regular price here for choice whole briskets...that would be only about $23.88 for a 12lb roast.

Just curious....

C
I have ordered these before. Creekstone as a whole has very high grading standards. In my experience, even their choice briskets are just under prime. Their quality is pretty consistent too.

Burnt at Both Endz
04-26-2017, 12:01 PM
I have ordered these before. Creekstone as a whole has very high grading standards. In my experience, even their choice briskets are just under prime. Their quality is pretty consistent too.

I agree....

It's my understanding their ranches raise 100% Angus cattle, not the standard 50% black hide Angus that most packers call "Certified Angus".

I love to cook these for family gatherings, BE's are to die for.

offshore_SoLA
04-26-2017, 12:23 PM

it takes a certified USDA inspectors / grader to grade meat. They are supposed to be uniform although they are human.

In the largest fab plants there are 3 USDA inspectors / graders on site... just the same with the smallest custom fab facilities.

One would assume the graders in the smaller facilities have more time to do what they do ..which creekstone is.

cayenne
04-26-2017, 01:20 PM
shows Choice grade, 14 lbs approx.

Ouch..then that makes it approx $4.29/lb for brisket....a cheap cut of meat.

Is that a good price anywhere in the US?

I've seen that price for trimmed flats in a grocery store, but never nearly that much for a whole, untrimmed packer brisket.

Especially choice grade.

C

bbqwizard
04-26-2017, 01:22 PM
One would assume the graders in the smaller facilities have more time to do what they do ..which creekstone is.

After 28 years in the food industry, there is one thing that always stands out...never assume.

I am aware of the process. The point was that they seem to always be consistent and the quality has always been good. I can't say that about other companies I've used.

Fatback Joe
04-26-2017, 01:30 PM

Just curious....

C

I used to use Creekstones when competing, they are generally much better than anything you will find in stores. At least, around anywhere I have lived ni the past few years.

cayenne
04-26-2017, 01:49 PM
I used to use Creekstones when competing, they are generally much better than anything you will find in stores. At least, around anywhere I have lived ni the past few years.

In what ways?
I'm curious...more marbling? Bigger flat...?

While I love a good deal on things, I, conversely, have NO problem dropping some money when you get what you pay for, etc....so, I'm quite interested in this.

I dunno that I've ever seen a 'branded' brisket before in my area, but would be on the look out to try one if it is really worth it.

Burnt at Both Endz
04-26-2017, 02:14 PM
In what ways?

While I love a good deal on things, I, conversely, have NO problem dropping some money when you get what you pay for, etc....so, I'm quite interested in this.

I dunno that I've ever seen a 'branded' brisket before in my area, but would be on the look out to try one if it is really worth it.

http://www.creekstonefarms.com/grades.html

offshore_SoLA
04-26-2017, 02:26 PM
After 28 years in the food industry, there is one thing that always stands out...never assume.

I am aware of the process. The point was that they seem to always be consistent and the quality has always been good. I can't say that about other companies I've used.

Are u suggesting that professional USDA inspectors lower the bar for others? Prime is prime whether it's in Oklahoma or Alaska.

Paying triple the amount (on sale) of a standard commodity priced choice brisket seems to have a Cultist following baked in the price. I look forward to seeing them.

Fatback Joe
04-26-2017, 02:26 PM
In what ways?

Both marbling and better flat. That being said, I would order 5 at a time and occassionally would get one that I didn't like the looks of.

Really, whether it is worth it or not is so subjective. Too me, at the time, it was.

Burnt at Both Endz
04-26-2017, 02:50 PM
Are u suggesting that professional USDA inspectors lower the bar for others? Prime is prime whether it's in Oklahoma or Alaska.

Paying triple the amount (on sale) of a standard commodity priced choice brisket seems to have a Cultist following baked in the price. I look forward to seeing them.

This is just the stupidest thing I've heard all day..........

There is a difference between a upper prime(+) and a lower prime(-), just as the same goes for choice grade or select. We won't even get into how accurate the grading is on brisket when your using the 12-13th rib to judge it by.

Buy what you want, cook what you want, too each his own!

SirPorkaLot
04-26-2017, 03:10 PM
it takes a certified USDA inspectors / grader to grade meat. They are supposed to be uniform although they are human.

In the largest fab plants there are 3 USDA inspectors / graders on site... just the same with the smallest custom fab facilities.

Not exactly how it works.

USDA grading is done by taking a sample of meat from a lot and grading it.

Not every piece of beef gets physically graded.
They bank on an average of the lot being of the same grade.

It is very possible to get prime grade meat that is labeled choice, just as it's possible to get a select cut that is labeled choice

YMMV

SmoothBoarBBQ
04-26-2017, 03:13 PM

I've seen that price for trimmed flats in a grocery store, but never nearly that much for a whole, untrimmed packer brisket.

Especially choice grade.

C

Lots of places just don't have access to quality briskets. I live in eastern North Carolina, basically hog country, and beef isn't very popular out here. Only place I can usually find packer briskets is Wal-Mart and it's always SELECT quality. Even then it's usually around $3/Lb, so ~$4/Lb for Choice is pretty great! Really it just comes down to availability for me : I haven't been able to find a brisket for the last month. Neither Sam's or Costco has them in stock either.

SmoothBoarBBQ
04-26-2017, 03:23 PM
Alright : took the plunge and ordered 3 briskets. I'm hoping I can rely on BBQWizard's endorsement that these are good quality briskets. haha Cheers all!

bbqwizard
04-26-2017, 03:30 PM
Alright : took the plunge and ordered 3 briskets. I'm hoping I can rely on BBQWizard's endorsement that these are good quality briskets. haha Cheers all!
Probably a good time to say: "I do not get paid to endorse this company, I am only endorsing on my experience with them." :becky:

Cheers!:thumb:

SmoothBoarBBQ
04-26-2017, 03:35 PM
Probably a good time to say: "I do not get paid to endorse this company, I am only endorsing on my experience with them." :becky:

Cheers!:thumb:

Damn... where were you 10 minutes ago? LOL No worries man, thanks for the heads up on the hookup though. I just got myself a new smoker, from Johnson Smokers, and I'm just dying to smoke a few briskets on it. So far all I've been doing is pork and I just get bored with it.

As I alluded to in an earlier post I have't been able to get brisket out here for over a month. I was eye-balling the Waygu brisket thread from a few days about but $450 for 4 briskets is a pretty tough sell.

SmoothBoarBBQ
04-26-2017, 03:39 PM
Not exactly how it works.

USDA grading is done by taking a sample of meat from a lot and grading it.

Not every piece of beef gets physically graded.
They bank on an average of the lot being of the same grade.

It is very possible to get prime grade meat that is labeled choice, just as it's possible to get a select cut that is labeled choice

YMMV

As I understand it, an entire animal is graded, and not the particular cut. Is this correct?

DanB
04-26-2017, 03:41 PM
Creekstone has free shipping makes it even better!!!!
DanB

SirPorkaLot
04-26-2017, 03:42 PM
As I understand it, an entire animal is graded, and not the particular cut. Is this correct?

Yes and not every animal. They select various primal cuts from random animals and grade.
At least that's my understanding

Burnt at Both Endz
04-26-2017, 03:48 PM
Creekstone has free shipping make it even better!!!!
DanB

You might be able to use KCBS's 10% discount also?

bbqwizard
04-26-2017, 03:54 PM
Damn... where were you 10 minutes ago? LOL No worries man, thanks for the heads up on the hookup though. I just got myself a new smoker, from Johnson Smokers, and I'm just dying to smoke a few briskets on it. So far all I've been doing is pork and I just get bored with it.

As I alluded to in an earlier post I have't been able to get brisket out here for over a month. I was eye-balling the Waygu brisket thread from a few days about but $450 for 4 briskets is a pretty tough sell.
That's awesome! I'm sure you will be happy. Show us some pics of your cooking. As you know, we like food pron:)

SmoothBoarBBQ
04-26-2017, 04:07 PM
That's awesome! I'm sure you will be happy. Show us some pics of your cooking. As you know, we like food pron:)

Roger WilCo.

Just saw that you're out of Vegas. I grew up there and moved to Carolina in 2001 for the Marine Corps. We lived out there in North Vegas between Lone Mtn and Anne. I miss it sometimes but I have to say I love the people and easy life style out here in Carolina.

Westx
04-26-2017, 07:00 PM
Creekstone is where Franklin gets his briskets so I would say they are pretty good.

jread23
04-26-2017, 07:39 PM
Creekstone is where Franklin gets his briskets so I would say they are pretty good.

It is true that he gets them (or at least some) from Creekstone, but he is buying their primes; pretty close to all of them if I recall.

sdman
04-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Where is Creekstone Farms located?

Westx
04-26-2017, 08:15 PM

Arkansas City, Kansas

cowgirl
04-26-2017, 08:16 PM

I've google Creekstone and came up with this. http://store.creekstonefarms.com/our-story/

Not positive, but it looks like it was a family owned cattle business at one time. Now it is a processing plant and it's located in Arkansas City Ks..
I'm trying to locate the ranches where the cattle are raised.

A clip from their site.
Creekstone Farms Premium Beef is owned by an affiliate of Sun Capital Partners, Inc. Sun Capital Partners, Inc. is a leading private investment firm focused on leveraged buyouts, equity, debt, and other investments in market-leading companies that can benefit from its in-house operating professionals and experience. For more information about Sun Capital, visit Sun Capital Partners or connect with Sun Capital Partners on Street Insiders.

also...

Do you know where your beef comes from? At Creekstone Farms we process only the finest Premium Black Angus Beef, all born and bred in the USA. Not Mexico or Canada. So that means not only do we support local farms, but we also ensure our beef has met some the most rigid food safety standards anywhere.

more info...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creekstone_Farms_Premium_Beef

Stumbled across this too..

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Creekstone-Farms-Premium-Beef/reviews

Maverickjct
04-26-2017, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the info Cowgirl! Knowing they are owned by Sun Capital makes it easy for me to take my business elsewhere. I worked for a different company they owned and the way they managed it and looked out for their people was shameful.

Burnt at Both Endz
04-26-2017, 08:40 PM
They have a state of the art slaughter house that has no corners, stairs for the cattle. They believed, when they built it, that cattle would be more relaxed if the had less stress factors. They believed that when cattle came to corners that it caused them to be more stressful by having to decide which way to go. Same for unloading, which is why no stairs for them to have to go up.

Can't remember where I read all this, it was quite fascinating.

Norm
04-26-2017, 08:44 PM
Sorry to see they have gone that way jeanie.

We have great genetics in our Angus herd. A few awards to prove it and prime is prime.

Heck even I dig around in the cooler at Costco. If I'm careful I might even find one that's 9+, probably a good cross bred. :)

Maverickjct
04-26-2017, 08:47 PM
Hey Burnt maybe it was the fact the cows were in a slaughter house that contributed to a bit of that stress. :wink:

cowgirl
04-26-2017, 08:50 PM
I was interested in seeing where their cattle come from. Most of the online beef sites I run across aren't raising the cattle, just buying it elsewhere and selling the processed meat.
I'm happy with my home grown Black Angus and don't plan on purchasing ...was just curious. :-D

My butcher is a cattle rancher too. Raises, processes and sells his own. I like knowing where my beef comes from. :)

ssv3
04-26-2017, 08:50 PM
They look like nice briskies. Here's exactly what you guys are getting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5rtd7GITlg

Norm
04-26-2017, 08:53 PM
Me too, one of the perks for putting up with cattle!

You mean there's folks misrepresenting where the meat comes from, I'm shocked!... :)

Burnt at Both Endz
04-26-2017, 08:55 PM
I bought a couple cases of these last year. They were excellent Angus prime beef.

http://www.iowapremium.com/

Pstores
04-26-2017, 08:58 PM
This is a great price around here...... $10-$12 a pound is typical

cowgirl
04-26-2017, 08:59 PM
Me too, one of the perks for putting up with cattle!

You mean there's folks misrepresenting where the meat comes from, I'm shocked!... :)

lol Cattle can be a pain! Just finished hot wiring a couple miles of fence.. my danged bull figured out that he can walk through barbed wire. :tsk:

When I see high end meat for sale online, I always check it out. Just to see if I'm missing anything. :thumb:

Norm
04-26-2017, 09:15 PM
I bought a couple cases of these last year. They were excellent Angus prime beef.

http://www.iowapremium.com/

This packer is about 30 miles from me and they do a really big run. I'm sorry to tell you but they use the lax standards for what is considered Angus. I don't mean that the beef they sell isn't really good but it irks me to see the hype of they're selling only purebreed angus. We do sell some of ours steers there but get no premium for them. We've never been asked to show our breeding records.

If I was buying $6+ per pound briskets I'd like to be assured of this.

Dweverett
04-27-2017, 05:24 AM

Especially choice grade.

C
It would be a good price here - if you can find one at all. None of the warehouse clubs carry packers, Costco will occasionally have choice flats but at $6 a pound. Walmart does have Select sometimes but those are close to $4/lb.

I do think RD carries choice ones consistently - don't remember their price. Hastle for me to go there. There are a few dedicated butcher shops in the area - at least one of which carries Prime. More than an hour away and limited hours though.

So all that said, placed an order this morning to try one of the Creekstones

jread23
04-27-2017, 06:49 AM
It would be a good price here - if you can find one at all. None of the warehouse clubs carry packers, Costco will occasionally have choice flats but at $6 a pound. Walmart does have Select sometimes but those are close to $4/lb.

Availability of brisket is the same up here, except both Walmart and Sams consistently have choice packers for around 2.49 - 3 per lb.

Burnt at Both Endz
04-27-2017, 07:32 AM
Not positive, but it looks like it was a family owned cattle business at one time. Now it is a processing plant and it's located in Arkansas City Ks..
I'm trying to locate the ranches where the cattle are raised.

Here is an older article about them.....

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/dining/24beef.html

DanB
04-27-2017, 08:46 AM
Just came across this on the Creekstones Site.
All of our items ship frozen with the exception of our briskets.

Looks like their briskets are NOT ship frozen? So How are they shipped? Do they arrive OK, any problrms?

Thanks DanB
PS I was already too order 2 brisket and get free shipping.

SmoothBoarBBQ
04-27-2017, 09:08 AM
Just came across this on the Creekstones Site.
All of our items ship frozen with the exception of our briskets.

Looks like their briskets are NOT ship frozen? So How are they shipped? Do they arrive OK, any problrms?

Thanks DanB
PS I was already too order 2 brisket and get free shipping.

Hey Dan,

Here's what they say on their website when you click on the choice brisket :
"These choice briskets ship frozen and will arrive in a box with a styrofoam cooler and frozen ice gel packs and dry ice to keep products nice and cool."

http://store.creekstonefarms.com/master-chef-choice-brisket-14-lbs/

DanB
04-27-2017, 09:21 AM
Hey Dan,

Here's what they say on their website when you click on the choice brisket :
"These choice briskets ship frozen and will arrive in a box with a styrofoam cooler and frozen ice gel packs and dry ice to keep products nice and cool."

http://store.creekstonefarms.com/master-chef-choice-brisket-14-lbs/

Thanks How did I miss that?
DanB

cayenne
04-27-2017, 10:10 AM

I do think RD carries choice ones consistently - don't remember their price. Hastle for me to go there. There are a few dedicated butcher shops in the area - at least one of which carries Prime. More than an hour away and limited hours though.

So all that said, placed an order this morning to try one of the Creekstones

Hm.....perhaps I need to get into a bit of business here.
I could buy them here in LA, and even with packing and shipping I could likely save ya'll a few bucks and still make a little profit.

One other person quoted $10-$12/lb for brisket? Ouch...that just ain't right!!

cowgirl
04-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Here is an older article about them.....

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/dining/24beef.html

Thank you! The link has the info I was looking for. :thumb:

Burnt at Both Endz
04-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Thank you! The link has the info I was looking for. :thumb:

You're welcome Jeanie!

Take some time and look up the Dr Temple Grandin that designed and consulted their slaughter operation. Some might think she is a fruit cake? I did some reading on it one time and she has some strong opinions on how to treat cattle.

Norm
04-27-2017, 04:58 PM
The only way you are going to get a non stressed cow for meat is to sneak up on it. Ms Grandin has a unique approach but there is no way she's making any difference in the stress level of a cow to slaughter.

Dweverett
04-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Hm.....perhaps I need to get into a bit of business here.
I could buy them here in LA, and even with packing and shipping I could likely save ya'll a few bucks and still make a little profit.

One other person quoted $10-$12/lb for brisket? Ouch...that just ain't right!!

Seriously. I thought it was bad here. On the other hand, if you want some fresh lobsters, you can get some really good stuff in a reasonable drive. Sadly, not helpful for me as I really don't like them

ronbrad62
04-27-2017, 09:20 PM
I worked in a slaughter house many years ago (35), and back then there was talk about the meat being better quality if the entire process, foot to freezer, was done quickly and less stress as possible placed on the animal. I had no idea how to go about this as I wasn't about to offer cow massages, but it sounded reasonable and I couldn't dispute it.

smoke ninja
04-27-2017, 10:01 PM
The only way you are going to get a non stressed cow for meat is to sneak up on it. Ms Grandin has a unique approach but there is no way she's making any difference in the stress level of a cow to slaughter.

So hire ninja as butchers?

DanB
04-28-2017, 01:40 PM
Just ordered 2 briskets from Creekstone...Hope they are as good as people say?
I really like to pick out my own briskets SAB briskets at RD. Thought I give Creekstone a try.
DanB

PS Free shipping too can't beat that!!!!

bbqwizard
04-28-2017, 01:47 PM
Just ordered 2 briskets from Creekstone...Hope they are as good as people say?
I really like to pick out my own briskets SAB briskets at RD. Thought I give Creekstone a try.
DanB

PS Free shipping too can't beat that!!!!
I prefer to hand pick as well, but sometimes convenience wins no matter what.

Bear 1998
04-28-2017, 08:04 PM
Just ordered 2 myself...I asked them to not ship thru fed ex, if they do I'll never receive them! SOMEBODY else will definitely be lucky. Around here fed ex couldn't find water in the Atlantic ocean

mcdeadstein
04-28-2017, 08:25 PM
Allthingsbbq did a texas brisket using a creekstone farms masterchef choice brisket. It looked pretty good for me so I ordered 2 the last time around. It worked out to 4.29/lb shipped to my door. Now I don't live in the promised land of prime briskets here in Western PA so this was a good experiment to see how they stack up against Rest Depot 'high' choice at 2.75 lb. I've only cooked one of the briskets so far and I can tell you that my brisket cookery is not where it needs to be BUT the point was huge on the one i defrosted and that was a big plus for a novice. Lots more room for error and still ended up with a nice amount of that fatty juicy point. Not sure if the one i had is indicative of all of their briskets but I am a point fan and it delivered on that note. I cooked it on a kamado joe so not ideal for texas style brisket with so little convection.

Anyway, here is the Allthingsbbq vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5rtd7GITlg

bbqwizard
04-29-2017, 12:55 AM
Just ordered 2 myself...I asked them to not ship thru fed ex, if they do I'll never receive them! SOMEBODY else will definitely be lucky. Around here fed ex couldn't find water in the Atlantic ocean

That would be maddening :mad2:

DanB
05-02-2017, 04:03 PM
My 2 Creekstone briskets were ship yesterday May 1st by Fed Ex . They are to arrive on Thursday May 4th. Does that sound normal?
I never purchased any kind of meat online..I'm hoping they arrive in good condition..
Thanks DanB

ssv3
05-02-2017, 04:14 PM
My 2 Creekstone briskets were ship yesterday May 1st by Fed Ex . They are to arrive on Thursday May 4th. Does that sound normal?
I never purchased any kind of meat online..I'm hoping they arrive in good condition..
Thanks DanB

Yes, that's normal.

Burnt at Both Endz
05-02-2017, 04:38 PM
Thanks DanB

They will be shipped around 3:30pm, they will prolly put about half dozen gel packets and some dry ice with them. I'd guess they would be thawed by the time they get to you, but should be cold.

I was very happy with my briskets.

I have some Duroc pork butts coming tomorrow.:thumb:

pjtexas1
05-02-2017, 08:18 PM

Weird that we have the same FedEx driver. How's your ups driver? Ours is light years better than the FedEx guy.

bbqwizard
05-03-2017, 12:36 AM
Thanks DanB

Yes, perfectly normal.

....and mine did too:-D

DanB
05-04-2017, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE=Burnt at Both Endz;3784457]They will be shipped around 3:30pm, they will prolly put about half dozen gel packets and some dry ice with them. I'd guess they would be thawed by the time they get to you, but should be cold.

My 2 Creekstone Briskets arrive this morning..They were frozen solid..Packed with 6 gel packs..Boy they are big, looked like more then 14 lbs.
I had trouble getting one in my fridge freezer, the door wouldn't shut, finally moved it around enough to get the door shut.:clap2:

The other is defrosting in the fridge. Forecast here for rain the next few days, then into the smoker..

Thanks DanB

bbqwizard
05-04-2017, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE=Burnt at Both Endz;3784457]They will be shipped around 3:30pm, they will prolly put about half dozen gel packets and some dry ice with them. I'd guess they would be thawed by the time they get to you, but should be cold.

My 2 Creekstone Briskets arrive this morning..They were frozen solid..Packed with 6 gel packs..Boy they are big, looked like more then 14 lbs.
I had trouble getting one in my fridge freezer, the door wouldn't shut, finally moved it around enough to get the door shut.:clap2:

The other is defrosting in the fridge. Forecast here for rain the next few days, then into the smoker..

Thanks DanB
Sweet! Mine should have arrived today as well, but I won't know until later. I'm trying to decide if I will thaw one or freeze both for later use.

Burnt at Both Endz
05-04-2017, 02:53 PM

Thanks DanB

I weighed one of mine that I'm cooking this weekend, 16#.:thumb:

I also got my PB's today, they look real nice too.

DanB
05-04-2017, 05:32 PM
I weighed one of mine that I'm cooking this weekend, 16#.:thumb:

I also got my PB's today, they look real nice too.

I put one on a bathroom scale and kept getting 17.5 lbs.
DanB

mrjoe
05-04-2017, 08:19 PM
I put one on a bathroom scale and kept getting 17.5 lbs.
DanB

I got 2 this evening. Didn't weigh them but 17# would not be a far stretch. Trimming was a little sloppy; 1 was missing a 1.5" round section of fat cap. They have a lot of extra trimming fat, sliver skin, ect., compared to the prime I got from them 6 weeks ago. However the prime paid $112, and these were $54 each (both via KCBS discount). It's more than ok as the website specifies they are not comp. grade. On the positive side, will allow for good quality time with the smoker. Also, they are real thick especially in the flat. I think once trimmed up melted into meat candy it's going to be a sweet treat. In 2-3 weeks when. I cook it I will have a verdict...

Dweverett
05-04-2017, 10:05 PM
I got mine yesterday and didn't weigh it but would guess its in the 14lb range. Packed with a half dozen packs and just starting to get a lirrle soft on the surface. Frozen solid beyond that.

What was strange though is that it appears to show that it's Prime rather than choice - unless they are using the term prime as part of their name vs a grade

bbqwizard
05-04-2017, 10:55 PM
What was strange though is that it appears to show that it's Prime rather than choice - unless they are using the term prime as part of their name vs a grade

Mine says "Master Chef Choice". If yours say's prime, then you got lucky!

SDAR
05-04-2017, 11:46 PM
Just wet age. If you don't know the cut date, find out if you can. Just age. Don't judge quality without the proper age. Difference is remarkable. Trust me.

Burnt at Both Endz
05-05-2017, 06:53 AM

Mine too!:thumb:

Burnt at Both Endz
05-05-2017, 06:59 AM
Just wet age. If you don't know the cut date, find out if you can. Just age. Don't judge quality without the proper age. Difference is remarkable. Trust me.

I haven't bought any direct for a few years, but these are different. they have a plastic sticker inside the cryo that states the kill date. Very convenient.

When I first started buying them direct, you could get a large prime for $80, which included shipping. That lasted about 6-8 months before they raised the price.

DanB
05-05-2017, 02:20 PM
I haven't bought any direct for a few years, but these are different. they have a plastic sticker inside the cryo that states the kill date. Very convenient.

My 2 briskets came in as Master Choice, would have loved to have gotten prime.
What good is the sticker inside of the cryo, you have break open the cryo to find it? I wish the sticker was outside, so I can leave the brisket in the cryo.

Thanks DanB

DanB
05-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Finally got 1 of the briskets to defrost..Nice looking piece of meat, really good marbling in the point, thick flat..That is the good news, bad news weather not cooperating..Had to cut the 17.5 lb brisket in quarters. Put a 5 lb flat & point cut in the oven at 11:30 pm last night temp 225, this morning at 10:30 the point probed tender but the flat wasn't even close .I'm going to put the flat back in when I get home from brunch.
Is that normal that the point was far ahead of the flat? Never came across that before with my briskets.
Thanks DanB

bigticket1
05-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Yes and not every animal. They select various primal cuts from random animals and grade.
At least that's my understanding

Not sure where you got that info - in plants that Quality grade, each carcass is graded. The grader looks at two things, maturity of the carcass and the marbling in the ribeye, split between the 12th and 13th ribs. Quality grading is not mandatory, inspection is. Carcasses not quality graded cannot be called Prime, Choice, etc..

SmoothBoarBBQ
05-08-2017, 06:20 AM
Hey All,

So I bought 3 of these Creekstone Briskets during the sale and finally got around to smoking the smallest one yesterday. Overall I'm very happy with the product : it was well marbled, and outside of a big gash in the middle of the flat (not doing competition so no worries) it was butchered very well.

I did a traditional "low and slow" cook at 225-250F for about 10.5 hours over pecan wood. I took it to an internal temp of 203 in the point and everything was amazing... a few of the outer slices of the flat were a bit dry, but as I got further inward it was much better.

I tried placing pics in here but they were ENORMOUS! SO if you want to see the pics follow the link.

http://imgur.com/a/9LGkS

DanB
05-08-2017, 08:14 AM
My point was also real good,but the flat was another story..Flat was tasty, very tender but really dry..Might have been over cooked it?
DanB

bbqwizard
05-08-2017, 11:10 AM
My point was also real good,but the flat was another story..Flat was tasty, very tender but really dry..Might have been over cooked it?
DanB
If it crumbled when you sliced it, it was over cooked. if you are managed to get slices, but it seemed dry, then you under cooked it.

DanB
05-08-2017, 01:28 PM
If it crumbled when you sliced it, it was over cooked. if you are managed to get slices, but it seemed dry, then you under cooked it.

The flat passed the probe and test pull.It slice OK but, there was NO moisture in it.
If I did cook it some more then slicing would have been a problem.
Most all my briskets came out with the same results.:rolleyes:
I've tried foil no foil butcher paper,Hot n Fast, low n slow.
I'll get right IT right one of these days.
Thanks DanB

PS Just had few cold pieces they, were really great tasting n tender.

Twisted T's Q
05-22-2017, 09:58 PM
got a case of brisket from Sysco , they market them as upper 2\3rds choice, look really good in the cryo, but does anyone have any first hand experience with them ?

http://www.iowapremium.com/copy_of_est--8-angus.aspx

Twisted T's Q
05-22-2017, 10:00 PM
price ^^^^ was $2.84 per lb