PDA

View Full Version : SF Capacity Question

CT-Mike
04-26-2017, 05:58 AM
The Mobile Meat Monster has 3 30x70" grates in the main chamber, and 3 grates in the warmer.

I am being asked to cook for 700 people for a work party. Looking at 350# of butts and the same for brisket. Can all of this fit in one batch? I figure on loading as many pork butts as I can in the warmer, then the rest of the pork and the briskets in the main chamber.

Thanks.

Stlsportster
04-26-2017, 06:21 AM
No idea...but I can't wait to see pics of that loaded beast!!

pjtexas1
04-26-2017, 06:25 AM
That's about 25 briskets and 35 butts. I'm gonna guess the briskets will take up 2 whole racks in the main cc. Might get 20 butts on the 3rd rack then stuff the warmer with the rest of the butts. It might just fit but it will be packed tight, real tight. Can't wait to see this! Gonna be epic.

CT-Mike
04-26-2017, 06:56 AM
That's about 25 briskets and 35 butts. I'm gonna guess the briskets will take up 2 whole racks in the main cc. Might get 20 butts on the 3rd rack then stuff the warmer with the rest of the butts. It might just fit but it will be packed tight, real tight. Can't wait to see this! Gonna be epic.

Our math is exactly the same, I figured 10# per butt and 14# per brisket. I am not getting paid to do this (well technically I am as it will be on a scheduled work day), but they will reimburse for expenses (wood, smoke chunks, etc).

I thought about saying no but then I figured it would be a good way to showcase my catering bidness to folks with the disposable income to throw catered parties.

bbqlearner
04-26-2017, 07:12 AM
It's probably a bit too much for 700 people but since you're not paying, not sure if you want to suggest a reduction. The capacity thought Paul came up with seems to make sense as an estimate. I assume you have full 3 racks with cabinet doors but straight back or not? With straight back, you can prob fit more.

pjtexas1
04-26-2017, 07:41 AM
Our math is exactly the same, I figured 10# per butt and 14# per brisket. I am not getting paid to do this (well technically I am as it will be on a scheduled work day), but they will reimburse for expenses (wood, smoke chunks, etc).

I thought about saying no but then I figured it would be a good way to showcase my catering bidness to folks with the disposable income to throw catered parties.

the more i think about it the more i think it will work. 2 of your 30x70 (4,200 square inches) racks are just about the same capacity as my 4 24x44 racks (4,224 square inches). i can fit 6 briskets per rack (packed really tight) so you should get all the briskets on 2 racks. once they start cooking they will shrink up a lot. the butts i am not so good at estimating. i always think 2 butts where i can fit 1 brisket...not sure if that is accurate but it should be close. by that un-scientific guess 20 butts on the 3rd rack. that leaves 15 butts to fit in the warmer which should be easy to do with the size of your warmer racks. i am not sure about the size of your warmer racks but i think they should add up to almost the size of 1 of your main cc racks so i think it will fit 15 butts. i would add several hours to your normal cook time just to give yourself some time to breathe. i hope someone is helping you. just trimming the briskets will take a few hours. well i guess since you cater you probably have a system down and know better than i would how to get this all done without killing yourself.:heh: i say if you can pull this off then i would have no issue having you cater anything for me. i sure hope you can assign a co-worker to take pics because this is going to need a thread with a crap ton of pics. sorry for the long post but for some reason i am more excited about this cook than i should be.:doh:

CT-Mike
04-26-2017, 08:37 AM
It's probably a bit too much for 700 people but since you're not paying, not sure if you want to suggest a reduction. The capacity thought Paul came up with seems to make sense as an estimate. I assume you have full 3 racks with cabinet doors but straight back or not? With straight back, you can prob fit more.

It is a straight back cabinet so 6300 square inches in the main chamber, and warmer grates are 26x26 so another 2028 sq inches.

I can easily get at least four butts on each warmer shelf, so that leaves 21 for the main chamber. Think I will be good, but tight.

As far as the amount of protein, 700 people are expected to attend, but we are a 24/7 operation so leftovers are needed for the folks on night shift.

CT-Mike
04-26-2017, 08:46 AM
the more i think about it the more i think it will work. 2 of your 30x70 (4,200 square inches) racks are just about the same capacity as my 4 24x44 racks (4,224 square inches). i can fit 6 briskets per rack (packed really tight) so you should get all the briskets on 2 racks. once they start cooking they will shrink up a lot. the butts i am not so good at estimating. i always think 2 butts where i can fit 1 brisket...not sure if that is accurate but it should be close. by that un-scientific guess 20 butts on the 3rd rack. that leaves 15 butts to fit in the warmer which should be easy to do with the size of your warmer racks. i am not sure about the size of your warmer racks but i think they should add up to almost the size of 1 of your main cc racks so i think it will fit 15 butts. i would add several hours to your normal cook time just to give yourself some time to breathe. i hope someone is helping you. just trimming the briskets will take a few hours. well i guess since you cater you probably have a system down and know better than i would how to get this all done without killing yourself.:heh: i say if you can pull this off then i would have no issue having you cater anything for me. i sure hope you can assign a co-worker to take pics because this is going to need a thread with a crap ton of pics. sorry for the long post but for some reason i am more excited about this cook than i should be.:doh:

Thanks for the guidance. Like I said earlier, I'm not getting paid for this, but I am looking for a few things in return. One is having our graphics department make me a professional banner for promoting the business, and having our photography folks take a bunch of pro quality photos that I can use in building a folio for showing prospective clients.

DownHomeQue
04-26-2017, 10:43 AM
my best advice is to start really early like if a brisket normally takes you 10 hours allot 14 to 16 everything takes longer to cook on loaded down smokers.. your not able to move as much air because the meat is slowing the air flow. I also recommend cooking at higher temps. nothing worse than it being time to feed the masses and the food still isn't done. I have been there and done that it is no fun.

Wood Fire Steel
04-26-2017, 11:01 AM
I may not help on capacity, but I would reach out to SmokedŽ Here on this forum. He has a 50 inch cabinet model SF that I know he absolutely loaded down to max capacity. He said it ran better full than at partial capacity. Blow grease out of ever opening ( stack and damper pull holes).

tonyjohnson619
04-26-2017, 12:13 PM
i aswell cant wait to see the pics of the cook

Fat Cap
04-26-2017, 12:51 PM
I guess it would depend on the dimensions of the briskets. If your briskets are more than 9 inches wide, you could encounter problems. Remember to start earlier than you think. All of that meat will create one hell of a heat sink!

Pork Floyd
04-26-2017, 01:20 PM
The Mobile Meat Monster has 3 30x70" grates in the main chamber, and 3 grates in the warmer.

I am being asked to cook for 700 people for a work party. Looking at 350# of butts and the same for brisket. Can all of this fit in one batch? I figure on loading as many pork butts as I can in the warmer, then the rest of the pork and the briskets in the main chamber.

Thanks.

Hi Mike!

Do you have a plan to pull all that pork. We used to sell pulled pork to a big restaurant in Buffalo. 32 butts every other weekend. We were very fussy in eliminating the fat. Took 4 of us over 4 hours to pull that pork. You will want that pork ready when you start serving otherwise you will never keep up.

Plus cutting the brisket.

I really hope you have a LOT of help.

Do you have the ability to keep all that meat cold prior to cook?

Phil

Jason TQ
04-26-2017, 01:47 PM

Maybe, but will be tight. My grates are not as large with my pit being 30x70
http://i.imgur.com/FZmJhObl.jpg

9 briskets on a rack and could probably get 15-17 butts on a rack in mine. This pic from a charity event has 9 briskets and I don't see much more room (about 20 butts in there as well), but guessing CT could get 12 a rack so that is 24 leaving 35 butts for the last rack and warmer.......

Gonna be snug, but I love trying things I don't think will work :-D. Got 52 rack of st loius in there at once with room to spare on 3 racks. Along with the chicken at that event we did enough for about 600 folks. So this is doable with the warmer.

Stlsportster
04-26-2017, 02:14 PM
What do you use to rub that much meat? Guessing commercial rub in that quantity is difficult so simple mixtures with basic bulk spices??

Jason TQ
04-26-2017, 02:55 PM
What do you use to rub that much meat? Guessing commercial rub in that quantity is difficult so simple mixtures with basic bulk spices??

At the restaurant we used s&p on brisket and had a recipe of mine we used for our house rub that went good on the other meats. For stuff like above I actually love the adobe rub i get at RD.
http://i.imgur.com/3Ha3ENgl.jpg

It's 8lbs for about $10. So $1.25/lb. Most bulk spices in the 18 oz shakers are around $4/lb so not matter how you mix them it will always be $4/lb (granted salt is cheap).

So I take this adobe which is kind of all purpose and use it on most things. What's nice is it contains no sugar. So you can use it as it or you can cut it with sugar and makes it go even further since sugar is pretty cheap.

CT-Mike
04-26-2017, 03:32 PM
Hi Mike!

Do you have a plan to pull all that pork. We used to sell pulled pork to a big restaurant in Buffalo. 32 butts every other weekend. We were very fussy in eliminating the fat. Took 4 of us over 4 hours to pull that pork. You will want that pork ready when you start serving otherwise you will never keep up.

Plus cutting the brisket.

I really hope you have a LOT of help.

Do you have the ability to keep all that meat cold prior to cook?

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the comments. I will have at least three other folks to help prep, cook, pull, and slice as necessary. The company is hiring the cafeteria workers to serve, make the cole slaw and baked beans.

I also am having the fab shop make me one of the shredder devices to put in a cordless drill out of stainless.

The cafeteria equipment is owned by the company, we just contract out a company to operate it, so there is plenty of refrigeration to store everything.

The motor pool will provide transportation of product from the cafeteria to the event site, so we should have everything covered.

CT-Mike
04-26-2017, 03:36 PM

I told the Director that I want 30# of Black Ops brisket rub and 3 1 gallon containers of Dizzy Dust for the butts.

I know that is way too much but I get to keep the leftover.

CT-Mike
04-26-2017, 03:46 PM
No idea...but I can't wait to see pics of that loaded beast!!

The event is scheduled for 31MAY so it is a ways out, but I will be sure and post plenty of pics.

Jason TQ
04-26-2017, 03:54 PM
The event is scheduled for 31MAY so it is a ways out, but I will be sure and post plenty of pics.

No hog on the menu yet with that lifter? :-D

CT-Mike
04-26-2017, 04:20 PM
No hog on the menu yet with that lifter? :-D

Not yet. Just getting started with the catering gig, and so far none of the events I have booked want to do a whole hog. But when I do, I will definitely post up a video.

A friend at work also gave me a good idea, so I will be replacing the hand crank winch with an ATV style battery powered winch with a remote cable to keep from having to walk back and forth between the front and back of the trailer.

Pork Floyd
04-26-2017, 07:14 PM
Phil,

Thanks for the comments. I will have at least three other folks to help prep, cook, pull, and slice as necessary. The company is hiring the cafeteria workers to serve, make the cole slaw and baked beans.

I also am having the fab shop make me one of the shredder devices to put in a cordless drill out of stainless.

The cafeteria equipment is owned by the company, we just contract out a company to operate it, so there is plenty of refrigeration to store everything.

The motor pool will provide transportation of product from the cafeteria to the event site, so we should have everything covered.

Nice!!!

pjtexas1
04-26-2017, 07:54 PM
Used to work with a guy that was a competitor. He would do cooks for the company. They started asking more and more. At some point he had to tell the ceo no. He didn't last much longer. The next guy does it and loves it. He cooks for the whole board of directors. The ceo won't let anyone fire the new cook even though his bosses want to. New cook doesn't make a dime cooking but he's bullet proof. I guess my point is to set an expectation before it gets too far. Ok...back to the crazy big farking cook.

bbqlearner
04-26-2017, 07:59 PM
Well at least he'll be bulletproof... :becky:

CT-Mike
04-26-2017, 08:00 PM
Used to work with a guy that was a competitor. He would do cooks for the company. They started asking more and more. At some point he had to tell the ceo no. He didn't last much longer. The next guy does it and loves it. He cooks for the whole board of directors. The ceo won't let anyone fire the new cook even though his bosses want to. New cook doesn't make a dime cooking but he's bullet proof. I guess my point is to set an expectation before it gets too far. Ok...back to the crazy big farking cook.

All good points, but this will be a one off. I am just getting my catering gig off the ground and this will be good practice, and advertising. Also, this will be on a scheduled work day (I work rotating shifts) so technically I am getting paid to prep one day and cook the next. As a matter of fact, they will have to pay someone overtime for two days to cover my spot on shift.

If they decide they want to do something similar next year, then they will have to pay the appropriate rate.

As far as being let go if I turn them down, that won't happen. My SRO license makes me basically bulletproof, as long as I don't screw up on shift.

DaveAlvarado
04-26-2017, 08:46 PM
My SRO license makes me basically bulletproof, as long as I don't screw up on shift.

Nuke plant? Yeah, that's pretty bulletproof.

I have a friend that was a NEO at Commanche Peak in TX, she's in IL now somewhere. She's qualified to train for SRO but was trying to find the right place to settle her family, they didn't like TX as much as the midwest.

nmeyer414
04-27-2017, 06:34 PM
who else around you has a SF that would be willing to assist?

tonyjohnson619
04-27-2017, 10:30 PM
Dumb question but what is sro?

punchy
04-28-2017, 01:07 AM
senior reactor operator. no dumb ?'s .

CT-Mike
04-28-2017, 05:11 AM
Dumb question but what is sro?

I hold a Senior Reactor Operator license issued by the NRC. I supervise my crew in the operation of a 1280 MWe (megawatt electric) nuclear plant. The station (2 units) combined produces about 11% of the electrical demand in New England.

Stlsportster
04-28-2017, 06:34 AM
From the pictures I'd say that reactor is just a tiny bit bigger than that Shirley. Seems like you'll have a SSO (Smokin Shirley Operator) to go with that SRO soon!

tcv21
04-28-2017, 09:58 AM
I have cooked for 300 on my 30x75 and had a little room left for more meat. With that said, I had to utilize my warming chamber.

CT-Mike
01-27-2018, 08:02 PM
Realized that I forgot to post the action pics from last years Brisket and Butt for 800 (numbers swelled up some).

This was a lot of fun.