PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Flow adjustments

SmoothBoarBBQ
04-25-2017, 04:19 PM
Hey All,

A few weeks ago I made a post about my new smoker from Johnson Smokers. http://imgur.com/a/ej7sq

I initially stated that while cooking I had about a 25F differential across the two smoking chambers, but after I made some adjustments I was able to bring that differential down to a degree or two. This particular smoker uses a pipe, rather than a damper, so adjusting the angle of the pipe inside the smoker made a good bit of difference. This is my first RF cooker so I just kind of assumed that the pipe should be level, but after playing around with it I found that a decline going across the smoking chamber even things out perfectly.

Here's an Imgur album I made after I did the adjustments showing the Thermoworks Smoke and it's readings as I took the smoker from 225F all the way up to 350F.

http://imgur.com/a/VBNef

The door thermometers aren't very accurate though, but I guess that's to be expected. I might replace them with some Tel-Tru's in the future, but that's not a big deal. Overall I'm just amazed that over the course of a few hours that large of a smoker was able to keep such an even temperature across the entire smoking chamber. Again, this is my first time using Reverse Flow and I'm really just shocked! haha

THoey1963
04-25-2017, 04:34 PM
If you straighten up the door therms, they'll probably read right. :mrgreen:

SmoothBoarBBQ
04-25-2017, 04:49 PM
If you straighten up the door therms, they'll probably read right. :mrgreen:

Yeah, everybody likes theirs a certain way... I like mine where 250F is directly vertical so I can see it from my back door.

THoey1963
04-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Ah, that makes sense. (I was kidding)

tonyjohnson619
04-25-2017, 05:00 PM
In the racecar all our gauges were mounted so normal was vertical so you could glance and see if there was a problem

Adubree86
04-25-2017, 05:26 PM
Those river country therms are adjustable. That's what Shirley uses and I've got mine dialed in perfectly.

SmoothBoarBBQ
04-25-2017, 05:34 PM
Those river country therms are adjustable. That's what Shirley uses and I've got mine dialed in perfectly.

Nice, what's the procedure if you don't mind?

SmittyJonz
04-25-2017, 05:43 PM
River Country has both adjustable and non. There will be a small hex head on back and you turn it slightly with like a 6 or 7 mm wrench and it moves the dial background. Say it's reading 250* but actual temp is 280* you rotate the numbers till 280 lines up with the needle.

SmoothBoarBBQ
04-25-2017, 05:51 PM
River Country has both adjustable and non. There will be a small hex head on back and you turn it slightly with like a 6 or 7 mm wrench and it moves the dial background. Say it's reading 250* but actual temp is 280* you rotate the numbers till 280 lines up with the needle.

Nice, just checked and they have a hex head on the back with a flat head notch. I'll give them an adjustment to match the Thermworks Smoke when I get it back to 250F. Thanks, appreciate it.

m-fine
04-25-2017, 06:01 PM
Nice, just checked and they have a hex head on the back with a flat head notch. I'll give them an adjustment to match the Thermworks Smoke when I get it back to 250F. Thanks, appreciate it.

Hold it at a steady temp for 30 minutes before adjusting just to be sure you aren't seeing some error from lag or the body steel needing to warm up.