PDA

View Full Version : Weber grills

SmokinBuddha
04-24-2017, 03:01 PM
I'm looking to buy a new Weber grill and found this site. I want to know if they are legit.

https://www.sharperauctions.net

THoey1963
04-24-2017, 03:04 PM
Not sure, but I checked Amazon for the Q1200 and it was the same price. I'd probably go with the more known store...

ChrisBarb
04-24-2017, 03:06 PM
Assuming you are talking about gassers, I would avoid Weber. They ain't what they used to be. There are better options.

SmokinBuddha
04-24-2017, 03:12 PM
Assuming you are talking about gassers, I would avoid Weber. They ain't what they used to be. There are better options.

What do you recommend? I'm looking at the Weber Genesis II LX series

MisterChrister
04-24-2017, 04:11 PM
Buy a 20 year old Weber gasser with bad burners and grate on Craigslist for $25. Buy new burners and grate from Weber for $100. You'll have 1/4 of the money spent on a gasser worth triple of most new units.

ChrisBarb
04-24-2017, 04:16 PM
Either buy a used Weber, previous generation or earlier. Sometimes you can score a use Broil Master on CL. Or if wanting new, look at Broil King (different company than Broil Master). Those are about your only real options for quality gassers in the sub $1000 range.

Smokiemon
04-24-2017, 04:28 PM
Hard to beat Webers warranty. Weber parts are readily available and not ridiculously expensive. Just my 2 cents.

SmokinBuddha
04-24-2017, 04:57 PM
Either buy a used Weber, previous generation or earlier. Sometimes you can score a use Broil Master on CL. Or if wanting new, look at Broil King (different company than Broil Master). Those are about your only real options for quality gassers in the sub $1000 range.

Are the Broil King grills Made in the USA?

Smokiemon
04-24-2017, 05:35 PM
I think they are assembled in the USA.

http://www.broilkingbbq.com/proudly_north_american

ChrisBarb
04-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Are the Broil King grills Made in the USA?
They have two plants. One in Indiana and one in Ontario.

Smokiemon
04-24-2017, 06:38 PM
I'll take a 10 Year burner 10 Year grate 10 Year flavor bars warranty all day. I would not hesitate on a new Weber. Not many companies offer that kinda of guarantee. I don't own a broil king but have read some good reviews on them. I will say comparing the companies warranties are like comparing apples and oranges. 10 years vs 1 Year = No brainer

Correction: Broil Kings warranty is not 1 Year as pointed out in post below.

Steve S
04-24-2017, 06:50 PM
I replaced my 1999 vintage Weber gasser with a new Genesis about a year and a half ago. It is twice the grill the old one was. More cooking area, better ignition, better heat control, two stainless steel shelves, and some covered storage underneath. All for the same price I paid back in 1999.

ChrisBarb
04-24-2017, 06:53 PM
I'll take a 10 Year burner 10 Year grate 10 Year flavor bars warranty all day. I would not hesitate on a new Weber. Not many companies offer that kinda of guarantee. I don't own a broil king but have read some good reviews on them. I will say comparing the companies warranties are like comparing apples and oranges. 10 years vs 1 Year = No brainer
What are you talking about? My BK Regal has 10 years on burners and lifetime on cast parts.

Smokiemon
04-24-2017, 07:00 PM
What are you talking about? My BK Regal has 10 years on burners and lifetime on cast parts.

My bad I thought I had read it has a 1 year warranty. I stand corrected.

mchar69
04-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Buy a 20 year old Weber gasser with bad burners and grate on Craigslist for $25. Buy new burners and grate from Weber for $100. You'll have 1/4 of the money spent on a gasser worth triple of most new units.
That's what I would do. if I were to stoop and use a gasser...

Pstores
04-24-2017, 08:25 PM

So what is your review on the BK? Flavor? Are their videos accurate? Thanks for your input up front.

SmokinBuddha
04-24-2017, 08:39 PM
On youtube checking out all the video for the Broil King Regal and Imperial grills.

10 year warranty on the burners and 2 year on parts and paint.

SmokinBuddha
04-24-2017, 08:46 PM
Look like Weber got a better warranty on their grills.

WEBER® GENESIS® II SERIES WARRANTIES

Cookbox 10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years paint excluding fading or discoloration)

Lid assembly 10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years paint excluding fading or discoloration)

Stainless steel burners 10 years, no rust through/burn through

Stainless steel cooking grates 10 years, no rust through/burn through

Stainless steel Flavorizer bars 10 years, no rust through/burn through

Ignition system (module, electrode assembly, wiring, and switch) 10 years, ignition start (excluding battery and battery damage)

Grease management system (slide-out grease tray and catch pan) 10 years, no rust through/burn through

Porcelain-enameled cast iron cooking grates 5 years, no rust through/burn through

Porcelain-enameled Flavorizer bars 5 years, no rust through/burn through

All remaining parts 2 years

qnbiker
04-24-2017, 09:55 PM
I'm looking to buy a new Weber grill and found this site. I want to know if they are legit.

https://www.sharperauctions.netThey seem to be regular prices.

qnbiker
04-24-2017, 09:56 PM
Don't know how well the new Weber gassers hold up since my 15 year-old Genesis won't die.

peaspurple
04-24-2017, 09:59 PM
Weber is the way to go. I am rebuilding my 2009 summit and called Weber up. 25 year warranty on my cook box and lid. Sent me new ones without question. 10 years on burner tubes, grates and flavorizer bars. No brainer for me.

ChrisBarb
04-24-2017, 10:44 PM
On youtube checking out all the video for the Broil King Regal and Imperial grills.

10 year warranty on the burners and 2 year on parts and paint.Seriously don't know where you are getting your info from:

ChrisBarb
04-24-2017, 10:46 PM
Weber is the way to go. I am rebuilding my 2009 summit and called Weber up. 25 year warranty on my cook box and lid. Sent me new ones without question. 10 years on burner tubes, grates and flavorizer bars. No brainer for me.The problem is that the current generation of Weber gassers have nothing to do with their predecessors. For example, current model year Genesis are made in China. I think only the charcoal grills and maybe Summit are still built in the USA.

ChrisBarb
04-24-2017, 10:50 PM
So what is your review on the BK? Flavor? Are their videos accurate? Thanks for your input up front.Only direct experience is with one of their gassers. It is top notch, though. Here is my review that I wrote of it:

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=10216#entry93648

SmokinBuddha
04-24-2017, 11:27 PM
Seriously don't know where you are getting your info from:

From the video Broil King made on youtube.

Broil King® - Imperial™ Series - YouTube Start at 4:49

Smokiemon
04-24-2017, 11:29 PM
The problem is that the current generation of Weber gassers have nothing to do with their predecessors. For example, current model year Genesis are made in China. I think only the charcoal grills and maybe Summit are still built in the USA.

Actually the Weber Genesis II LX which the OP was considering is made in Palatine, IL.

Smokiemon
04-24-2017, 11:43 PM
That's a great video, looks like a well built cooker.

ChrisBarb
04-24-2017, 11:56 PM
Actually the Weber Genesis II LX which the OP was considering is made in Palatine, IL.
You are right. I didn't realize that they were different. But the "regular" Genesis II is made in China.

Demosthenes9
04-24-2017, 11:58 PM
Here's the thing about Weber warranty in later generation Gennys (about 2009 - 2016); all of the "bulletproof stuff" has a great warranty, i.e. the firebox, lid, flavorizers, etc. What didn't have much warranty coverage was the frame, panels, cart, whatever you want to call it. What I've seen happen to quite a lot of them is that everything to do with the "grill part" of the grill was still in great shape, but the freaking carts started rusting out from underneath in just a couple of years. And no, Weber usually wasn't very helpful with the issue, other than to offer to sell replacement parts.

Now, going back before that, to the Silver/Gold/Platinum A/B/C models and even older, the 1000-5000 or even older, the Genny 1-5's ? Those things were and still are almost absolutely bulletproof. I've seen fewer of those with rust issues after all these years than I have of the 2007-2016 generations.

Aceman
04-25-2017, 12:15 PM
It's a forum, I get it. But if someone wants a gas grill, great! Let them get one. I have a 4 year old Genesis and love it. I've gotten a smoker now too, but the Genesis can do a lot that the smoker can't. Mine's made in the USA. One of the reasons I bought it. It's a nice heavy duty grill. The grates won't be an issue. They're about 3/16" thick. The flavorizer bars clean up easily. It fires up in 1-2 seconds. And there's not a spot of rust on it. It's seen 95* and 100% humidity to -18* with 3' of snow. It stays outside under the patio with a cover on it most of the year. Lowes, HD and True Value all have parts readily available (in the US at least). Are they still made in the USA? Idk. But I love mine! Good luck with your decision.

MattGoose
04-25-2017, 04:08 PM
The Gen II's are not well reviewed....

There's a Wired review out there that is pretty damning.... Understand it is Wired, but still.

My brother in law just went around and around and around on Gen I v. Gen II. The price increase of the new ones was too much, and the specs weren't up to speed compared to the old.

He was at Home Depot the other day and there was a Weber rep there soliciting input on their new line, which isn't the best sign. The rep was also not well educated in the current line up or it's comparison to the old.

At that price point, I'd be looking at Napoleon grills.

THoey1963
04-25-2017, 04:25 PM
When I got my WSCG last weekend, I gifted my 2011 S-330 to a good friend. Prior to doing that, I contacted Weber support and provided them information and pictures of wear and tear to include the lid liner rusting, burner tubes wearing, and the ignition system went out. They reviewed the information and are sending a new lid. The ignition was out of warranty, but they threw one in as a one time courtesy. The tubes they say weren't bad, so I'll get another picture when they get worse and get them for him.

This is one of the reasons I am a Weber fan.

ChrisBarb
04-25-2017, 04:51 PM
^^^Weber customer service has always been great. But there is no denying the quality of the gassers, at least, has slipped considerably. There are better choices. A couple of years ago, I probably have have said something different. As a former owner of a Silver B (given to a friend over the winter), it's sad to see how far they have slipped, really.

Smokiemon
04-25-2017, 05:38 PM
Lol this is getting comical. Bash away, bash away.

ChrisBarb
04-25-2017, 10:26 PM
Not bashing. Weber does make good grills. But, don't look at them through nostalgia tinted rose colored glasses, either. That's all.

Bacchus2b
04-25-2017, 10:38 PM
Ten years down the road Weber will still have replacement parts available. Who else does it that well?

I bought a Kitchenaid years ago not knowing it was made by NexGrill in China. Kitchenaid just licensed out their name and two years down the road my grill had a blowout in a tube that melted all my ignition wires and assembly with no parts available. That will never happen with Weber.

You can usually find a used Summit on Craigslist for a good price.

Good luck!

Smokiemon
04-25-2017, 11:00 PM
Not bashing. Weber does make good grills. But, don't look at them through nostalgia tinted rose colored glasses, either. That's all.

Like I said before the OP is looking at a Weber G II LX model. So no rose colored glasses here. Just looking at a well built product with a great warranty and replacement parts readily available. I know your a BK fan and that's cool to each there own. I understand your feelings about them making a couple models in China "Which still have a stellar warranty". But is it really fair to claim these models inferior without you ever owning one or have cooked on one ? Only time will tell if there new models will hold up "Not all Weber models are made in China". But with there reputation I wouldn't hesitate to pull the Trigger on a Weber. How long have they been around ?

Dweverett
04-26-2017, 07:08 AM
Here's the thing about Weber warranty in later generation Gennys (about 2009 - 2016); all of the "bulletproof stuff" has a great warranty, i.e. the firebox, lid, flavorizers, etc. What didn't have much warranty coverage was the frame, panels, cart, whatever you want to call it. What I've seen happen to quite a lot of them is that everything to do with the "grill part" of the grill was still in great shape, but the freaking carts started rusting out from underneath in just a couple of years. And no, Weber usually wasn't very helpful with the issue, other than to offer to sell replacement parts.

Now, going back before that, to the Silver/Gold/Platinum A/B/C models and even older, the 1000-5000 or even older, the Genny 1-5's ? Those things were and still are almost absolutely bulletproof. I've seen fewer of those with rust issues after all these years than I have of the 2007-2016 generations.

Agree. I think mine is a 2007 model and the cart has been the weak point. The bottom is well on its way to rusting through even though I've tried to repaint it etc. on the warranty/service. I've found Weber to be very good by the standards of most products, but not at the level that I've seen of some of the BBQ related companies which are incredible.

The burners would be an example. They are looking for rust through before they have to replace them. The performance can deteriorate before that. Depending on the rep, you might get an earlier replacement or might not.

I will say that the availability of parts, even if you have to pay for them, is a huge benefit of going with Weber vs some other companies. Don't know enough about how BK supports units years down the road to have an opinion on those

ChrisBarb
04-26-2017, 07:44 AM
My issue, I suppose it comes down to marketing budget and nostalgia, is people will spend hours/days/weeks researching the perfect pit, but when it comes to the gasser, they run to the big box store and buy whatever Chinese made crap is on the floor. Usually Weber or Charbroil without considering the alternatives, including but no limited to BK.

Bacchus2b
04-26-2017, 08:55 AM
Comes down to price as well. In my last house I had a built in Lynx gasser that I got a great deal on when a local grill shop went out of business. Best gasser ever with Brass burners that weighed about 17 pounds each and will most likely last forever, but that grill retailed for $5,000.

I think most people who "run to the big box store" are going with the intention of spending $500 or less, and not extensively researching their purchase.

MattGoose
04-26-2017, 09:40 AM
Lol this is getting comical. Bash away, bash away.

Like I said before the OP is looking at a Weber G II LX model. So no rose colored glasses here. Just looking at a well built product with a great warranty and replacement parts readily available. I know your a BK fan and that's cool to each there own. I understand your feelings about them making a couple models in China "Which still have a stellar warranty". But is it really fair to claim these models inferior without you ever owning one or have cooked on one ? Only time will tell if there new models will hold up "Not all Weber models are made in China". But with there reputation I wouldn't hesitate to pull the Trigger on a Weber. How long have they been around ?

The Gen II LX starts at $1,050 for a two burner grill with no sear station. The warranty changes were put and takes, but anytime they cut major component part warranties in half that's not good.

I have two Weber's, so please don't accuse me of bashing.

The new line was a major increase in price with, at best, a minimum increase in performance. In many cases the performance is not as good as the previous model.

I think Weber needs to refocus on making great products at a more reasonable price. You can already find discounts of hundreds of dollars on the new models - means they aren't selling.

I want Weber to continue to do well - I've been around their grills for my entire life.

For the same $1,100 MSRP I would take this 10 times over the Gen II LX:

https://www.bbqguys.com/item_item_2943294.html

Smokiemon
04-26-2017, 09:49 AM
Maybe I am not understanding you, are you saying they recently cut there warranties in half? That Napoleon is a nice grill.

Edit: Nevermind please don't answer that question. Good luck smokinbuddha on finding a good grill.

SmokinBuddha
04-26-2017, 10:44 AM
Any opinion on this grill?

https://www.wayfair.com/Napoleon-Prestige-6-6-Burner-Gas-Grill-with-Cabinet-NPN2205.html

KevinJ
04-26-2017, 11:09 AM
Any opinion on this grill?

https://www.wayfair.com/Napoleon-Prestige-6-6-Burner-Gas-Grill-with-Cabinet-NPN2205.htmlFirecraft sells Napoleon grills with free shipping might even want to give them a call. Firecraft (https://www.firecraft.com/product/napoleon-prestige-gas-grill-rotisserie-burner-and-infrared-side-burner-blue-p500rsibpb-1-1)

Koogs
04-26-2017, 01:24 PM

https://www.sharperauctions.net

Hi I'm new here, but am in the same boat as you, and same market too.

I have a 13 year old Genesis Gold that could be rehabbed, but I want to switch to something newer and bigger. I'm looking at the S-440 or the SE-410.

I think I'm going with the S440, and it probably doesn't make financial sense, but I really like the look and feel of the grill. I like the option of the side burner, look of the hood and cabinet. Lit knobs and high+ burners.

I called the guy from Sharperauctions a few weeks ago since I was starting my grill search and debating about Summits and the Genesis II series. He seems pretty straightforward, has a showroom, but isn't an official dealer. He will get you a new in box grill with a $50 deposit, deliver and set up and collect at that point. He also discounts significantly off of MAP. I'm probably going to go with him when I order my grill.

I went to a showroom and looked at the Napoleons and Summits. They're both nice grills. I found the Napoleons to look a little fussy to me. I didn't examine the whole line online. The ones they carried were in line with the Summits as far as pricing and a bit above the LX series Webers. I see now the others out there in the price bracket of the LX Genesi.

I think I'm buying into the Weber nostalgia a bit, and maybe it should be priced $150 or so cheaper on the LX series, but it does seem like a nice well put together grill.
I personally think there are 2 real problems with this roll out
1) the propane tank shroud sucks, everyone who wants to find fault with the new "chinese produced weber" looks at that and can make a full on judgement about the grill from this flimsy piece of sheetmetal.

2) the open cart vs cabinet design this year to last year is causing controversy. The base 3 burner grill didn't really go up in price at $699. They just removed the cabinet. If you want a side burner now, its packaged with other stuff and the pricing for that jumped. The differences in features make up for some of the increase, but not all. the S340 is at about $1300 compared to an S330 last year at $950. you get individual burner ignition, lighted knobs, a grill light over last year, and the new burner design etc. The High+ is offset by the sear burner. In my mind, it should be at $1050 or $1100.

Koogs
04-26-2017, 01:49 PM
I tried posting a reply and it got lost. I called the guy from SharperAuctions a few weeks ago. He seems on the up and up somewhat. he's not a standard weber dealer. He has access to a buying group and can buy them at a discount, and sell to you. He has a showroom. He takes payment when everything is done and was offering a decent discount off of MAP on the grills I got a quote on, an SE-410, S-440, Summit S670 all delivered and assembled.

I looked at Napoleon in a showroom, probably the Prestige. The seem high quality if it meets what you want.
Personally, I liked the Weber S-440 for what I want. I just liked the styling and feel of the Weber better. I still might come to my senses and get the SE-410. It seems like a good value.

cayenne
04-26-2017, 02:40 PM
From the video Broil King made on youtube.

Broil King® - Imperial™ Series - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLi1PBGj1N4) Start at 4:49

Wow....this thread has opened my eyes.

I really didn't know there were other gassers of merit other than Weber. I've not had a gas grill in so long, I'd not really looked at them.

I've seen the Broil King at Lowes/Home Depot I think...I was just assuming they were el-cheapo grills, but if/when I ever go for a gas grill, I'll definitely give BK and that Napoleon brand a serious look and research!!

Cayenne

BBQchef33
04-26-2017, 03:03 PM
I bought a Broilmaster P3 with SS cart in 1996.

Still have it. Replaced the SS burner for the first time 4 years ago. Not because it was broken, but was showing signs of wear and some ports were clogged.

Its still going strong.. No rust, nothing broken. Parts are readily available form many sources, including amazon.

There slogan back then was "Buy your last Grill today"

seems i did.. :)

google Broilmaster P3. Plenty of info out there.

Warranty info;

BROILMASTER WARRANTY INFORMATION
LIMITED LIFETIME AGAINST RUST-THROUGH
Aluminum Grill Housing (except paint), Stainless Steel Rod Cooking Grids, Stainless Steel Griddle, Cast Stainless Steel or Porcelain-Coated Cast Iron Cooking Grids (Special Order Only), Select Stainless Steel Components – Cart, Mounting, Bowtie Burner, Side Burner (DPSBSS), Side Burner Housing, and Warming Rack, Stainless Steel Built-in Components – Built-in Kit for P3/H3 Grill Head, Door Kit, Tilt-Out LP Tank Door, and Vent Register Kit
10 YEARS AGAINST RUST-THROUGH
H-Series Stainless Steel Burner, Side Burner (DPASBC), Side Burner Housing (BSA)
5 YEARS AGAINST RUST-THROUGH
Infrared Burners on R3 and R3B, Flare Buster Ceramic Flavor Enhancers, Painted Electro-Galvanized Steel Components, Stainless Steel Smoker Shutter
2 YEARS AGAINST RUST-THROUGH
Porcelain Coated Steel Briquette Racks, Chrome-Plated Warming Rack, Stainless Steel Flavor Screen, Stainless Steel Heat Shield
1 YEAR AGAINST RUST-THROUGH
Valves, knobs, ignitors, labels, hoses, fittings and all other parts and accessories – including those made from stainless steel and painted steel – unless specified above, Paint on aluminum grill head

SmokinBuddha
04-26-2017, 03:30 PM
If you didn't buy your Weber grill from an authorized dealer, would Weber honor the warranty?

Koogs
04-27-2017, 10:13 AM
If you didn't buy your Weber grill from an authorized dealer, would Weber honor the warranty?

You'd have to ask weber. I've seen people on these boards get warranty parts on grills they purchased 2nd hand and registered (which isn't really with Weber's 1st owner policy). I'd assume they would, but might want to ask directly.

Another dealer I know has offered me better pricing than MAP is Bravo Window and door in Copague. They are an Alliance dealer and have a decent amount on the floor.

SmokinBuddha
05-01-2017, 10:29 AM
I finally went ahead and bought the Genesis II LX S-640 6-Burner Propane Gas Grill.

ChrisBarb
05-01-2017, 10:48 AM
That's a $2,000 dollar grill!

How does it compare to Summit?

mattmountz94
05-01-2017, 10:50 AM
I finally went ahead and bought the Genesis II LX S-640 6-Burner Propane Gas Grill.

Post that bad boy up once you get it!

Bagpiper
05-06-2017, 09:34 PM
Delivered, set up, and grilled my First Rib Eye - cut like butta!!!

Bought Direct from Weber using a promotion they are running, couldn't pass up the savings - trying to to find a new home for my 2003 Silver Genesis

Smokiemon
05-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Sweet congrats !

Demosthenes9
01-31-2020, 02:19 PM
Who can recommend to me the best product among those in the list on this site? https://bestoffsetsmokers.com/best-weber-grills/

All of those are kind of "best of's" in their category. Do you want a grill or a smoker? You can smoke on a kettle, but the WSM has more capacity and some would argue that it's easier to control.

Do you want gas or charcoal ? If gas, do you want something with a larger footprint to sit out back on the patio ? Or do you want something smaller and portable ?

mcyork28
01-31-2020, 02:33 PM
This is probably spam.

Who can recommend to me the best product among those in the list on this site? https://bestoffsetsmokers.com/best-weber-grills/