PDA

View Full Version : Freezing big cuts of meat for BBQ? How important is fast freezing them?

rikun
04-23-2017, 04:42 PM
Hello all!

I'm wondering how important is it to flash freeze big meats intended for BBQ? I know a lot of people freeze butts and briskets in conventional freezers and say it's fine. Would that be also considered fine from quality standpoint in a commercial operation, since there are no food safety issues in freezing food in a standard freezer...?

My guess is, that the formation of large ice crystals doesn't really matter, since we are anyway cooking these meats beyond done?

I would test this myself, but I have a short window to jump on a deal on great briskets and would need to freeze them for longer term storage.

Kaptain Kadian
04-23-2017, 05:15 PM
Buy the briskets and freeze them. I doubt that you could tell the difference. I buy cases of briskets and freeze them in a chest freezer. I can't tell any difference in them

ploch1
04-23-2017, 06:20 PM
I have had no issues with cooking a fresh or frozen piece of meat and being able to tell the difference. Maybe I'm too used to storing cuts at good prices.

Garyclaw
04-23-2017, 07:03 PM
You should go for it! Vacuum seal if you can. Minimize the air in the package.

WilliamD
04-23-2017, 08:35 PM
No Problem Freezing them Conventionally at all..I agree with garyclaw in that you should VacSeal them for the best freshness. Large Ice crystals can degrade the quality of the meat;vacsealing can alleviate this.

mchar69
04-23-2017, 09:04 PM
vacsealing can alleviate this.
I'm wrapping raw meat in plastic wrap 1st, making sure no air pockets..
then vac-pack.
If your briskies come in cryovac, just freeze 'em.

Right on Q
04-24-2017, 09:36 AM
Regular freezing is fine for quality. Folks do it on the competition circuit all the time and they are always concerned about quality

rikun
05-12-2017, 04:20 AM
Yep, just what I thought :-) Thanks all, will be buying a few cases. The Creekstones are a really a step up in quality for us in here.