PDA

View Full Version : SF conundrum

Wood Fire Steel
04-19-2017, 11:15 PM
So I have a conundrum concerning my soon to be started/delivered SF pit. The budget has stretched from a small basic patio to a larger trailer pit. The issue is the budget has stretched as far as I can let it (i.e. The wife said no). I will have to make the decision to go with a 65" trailer model with an extended warmer, standar door, both dampers, damper block for firebox to main chamber, extra shelf in the warmer, umbrella holder, ash pan, removable trailer tongue, a special sausage/bacon hanger or cabinet doors. If I go cabinet then I have to let the removable tongue, sausage/bacon hanger, ash pan and umbrella holder go and maybe reduce to a 60". What would you do??

lwdbo1
04-19-2017, 11:25 PM
I would go cab doors all the way. You can always add the other stuff later (maybe not the removeable tongue idk)... But I love my cab doors , makes everything so simple..

DBBQ
04-19-2017, 11:30 PM
I have only had my Shirley Fab for five days, but I am so happy I got the cabinet doors

Shagdog
04-19-2017, 11:31 PM
Cabinet doors are a no brainer. Best upgrade there is.

SmoothBoarBBQ
04-20-2017, 06:43 AM
Can someone give a quick explanation of WHY the cabinet doors are such an exceptional upgrade? I've never seen them in person on a cooker so I'm kind of lost as to why they're so coveted.

Personally I would stay with a standard door and stick with the 65" and all of your other listed accessories... or even forget those accessories (which can be purchased later) and go for more length. I noticed that the 65" cooker has grates which are only 54" long, so it's making me wonder how much of that length is "usable length." On the 80" your grates are about 66.5" so that seems like a lot of space which might not be as "user friendly" as it could be.

Anyways, congrats on making it to the head of the line. Good luck with whatever option you choose but I'll tell you, very few people ever look at their cooker and say "Damn, I should have gone with something smaller." :wink:

pjtexas1
04-20-2017, 07:19 AM
Cabinet doors vote here. Unless you are cooking big hogs. I have 4 racks in my 24x55 and can fit more meat than a standard door 30x80 with 2 grates. I can jump racks around for spacing and they are all the same size. Resale value will be much higher too. The demand for standard doors has almost completely gone away at SF. I would sacrifice elsewhere.

FattyMcFatty
04-20-2017, 07:46 AM
Another vote for cabinet doors, I love them.

Shagdog
04-20-2017, 08:36 AM
Can someone give a quick explanation of WHY the cabinet doors are such an exceptional upgrade? I've never seen them in person on a cooker so I'm kind of lost as to why they're so coveted.

Personally I would stay with a standard door and stick with the 65" and all of your other listed accessories... or even forget those accessories (which can be purchased later) and go for more length. I noticed that the 65" cooker has grates which are only 54" long, so it's making me wonder how much of that length is "usable length." On the 80" your grates are about 66.5" so that seems like a lot of space which might not be as "user friendly" as it could be.

Anyways, congrats on making it to the head of the line. Good luck with whatever option you choose but I'll tell you, very few people ever look at their cooker and say "Damn, I should have gone with something smaller." :wink:

Cabinet doors.... Let's see.. For starters,

1.) More space. he would probably have more room in 60" with cabinets doors than he will in a 65" straight pipe. He will definitely be able to use more of the space. The top shelf on a straight pipe is much more limited, especially height wise.

2.) Much more user friendly. a single door on a 65" pipe smoker is gonna be heavy as chit. You can open the cabinet doors with one hand while holding a brisket on a tray in the other hand. And if his budget is so stretched, I doubt he's adding a counterweight.

3.) Better resale. Of the shirley cookers that I have seen come up for sale, the cabinets always sell much easier.

4.) The flat top is awesome as a shelf. Its so nice to use, especially if you have to load the cooker from a tray, set it on top and load the rack. Yea, I know you could use the front shelf, but then you are having to reach under the pulled out, hot rack every time you grab a piece of chicken or whatever. The top works way better.

I'm sure I could come up with more, but I think I've made my point :thumb:

SmoothBoarBBQ
04-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Cabinet doors.... Let's see.. For starters,

1.) More space. he would probably have more room in 60" with cabinets doors than he will in a 65" straight pipe. He will definitely be able to use more of the space. The top shelf on a straight pipe is much more limited, especially height wise.

2.) Much more user friendly. a single door on a 65" pipe smoker is gonna be heavy as chit. You can open the cabinet doors with one hand while holding a brisket on a tray in the other hand. And if his budget is so stretched, I doubt he's adding a counterweight.

3.) Better resale. Of the shirley cookers that I have seen come up for sale, the cabinets always sell much easier.

4.) The flat top is awesome as a shelf. Its so nice to use, especially if you have to load the cooker from a tray, set it on top and load the rack. Yea, I know you could use the front shelf, but then you are having to reach under the pulled out, hot rack every time you grab a piece of chicken or whatever. The top works way better.

I'm sure I could come up with more, but I think I've made my point :thumb:

Some good points and I appreciate it... and now looking at the cabinet doors I can see that it's an overall extension of the normal tank / tube so I can see what you mean about more usable space. The heavy single door is a good point as well. I appreciate your response and it certainly sounds like cabinet doors is absolutely the way to go.

bbqlearner
04-20-2017, 12:36 PM
I would go with cabinet doors - best upgrade choice that I've ever made.

If budget is the issue, personally, I would let go of 65 and go with 60 with cabinet doors. I would also let go of umbrella holder, extra shelf in warmer, damper block & special sausage/bacon hanger.

I would keep the removable tongue & ash pan.

What's an extended warmer? Not sure what that is.

Shagdog
04-20-2017, 12:52 PM

If budget is the issue, personally, I would let go of 65 and go with 60 with cabinet doors. I would also let go of umbrella holder, extra shelf in warmer, damper block & special sausage/bacon hanger.

Totally agree with some of that.. The damper block is totally not needed, I missed that he was even ordering that. If you're cooking straight up to the warmer, you get a little smoke in the main chamber, but it drafts pretty well straight out without it, and you'll find that the main smoker will be your favorite anyway.. It just cooks better than the vertical, I think... and its something you could buy later or make later... Are you putting an ash pan in the firebox or just in the warmer? You really don't need it in the firebox, and again, its something you could make/have made later. You will want the ash pan for the warmer though..

The bigger warmer/extra shelves/Sausage hangers on the other hand, are things that I personally use the chit out of, and you can't go back and add space in there...

bwram1
04-20-2017, 02:23 PM
I noticed that the 65" cooker has grates which are only 54" long, so it's making me wonder how much of that length is "usable length." On the 80" your grates are about 66.5" so that seems like a lot of space which might not be as "user friendly" as it could be.

The rest of your concerns were covered...To address your concern on what you perceive to be 11 unused inches of chamber length...The reverse flow plate stops short of the left end of the chamber to allow the heat and smoke to rise and be drawn back to the stack...The grates do not extend beyond the RF plate because you likely don't want your drippings to reach the bottom of the chamber, making it more difficult to clean.

pjtexas1
04-20-2017, 02:52 PM
i agree with shag on the ash pan being easy to make yourself. i make them from a sheet of aluminum flashing you can get at Lowe's or HD. the ash pan they made for my SF is 1/4" and some what difficult to get out of the fb at times. i would hate to drop that thing on my foot.

Wood Fire Steel
04-20-2017, 02:56 PM

The extended warmer is an extra tall warming cabinet. I do a 60# batch of cold smoked bacon every year and without the extra space they would lay on the bottom of the warmer when hung vertically.

BillN
04-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Cabinet doors for sure.

bbqlearner
04-20-2017, 05:26 PM
The extended warmer is an extra tall warming cabinet. I do a 60# batch of cold smoked bacon every year and without the extra space they would lay on the bottom of the warmer when hung vertically.

Ok. I think everyone would agree (including me) that you should really go with what you need/want to the extent it fits your budget.

I personally have not used much of the warmer except for holding food for a few hours and occasional smoking of salmon, chicken etc. so for me, I would not need the extra space (ie. extended warmer and extra shelves) but it seems you might have different needs. Plus, I have other cookers that I use also together with the SF at times.

sylntghost
04-21-2017, 03:13 AM

I had a 24x70 standard door Shirley and sold it to buy one with cabinet doors. The door was heavy and one day I got in a hurry to lift it and the door latch hit the smoke stack and came back down and almost smashed my arm. It was totally my own fault as I did not have the latch in the fully opened position. So the cabinet door is also safer.

TuscaloosaQ
04-21-2017, 06:49 AM
Another consideration is this... if a lady will ever being using the pit then the standard doors are heavy.... all 3/8 thick.... acounter weight can be added tho.... also if you have any youngins at some point I am sure you will be wanting them as an apprentice.. it would be much easier for them to deal with the cabinet doors..... also with the cabinet doors even on a standard height cabinet you can add a 3rd shelf... although you would not have a lot of clearance.... it could still handle.. chicken.. sausage..ribs...corn.... etc... just something to consider.....I'm 56.... opening heavy doors become less appealing to me as birthdays roll around....:).

Seefyre
04-21-2017, 09:53 AM
Get everything you want, then apologize profusely and become her man slave for a year to make up for it :-D:-D:-D

Joe Black
04-21-2017, 11:32 AM
You've never heard of a man getting shot while washing dishes.

I don't have cabinet doors, but I can sure see their advantages. Especially over 48".

Wood Fire Steel
04-21-2017, 01:01 PM
Thanks for everone's input. I have decided to go with the cabinet doors and give up the other wants for now.

Wood Fire Steel
04-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Get everything you want, then apologize profusely and become her man slave for a year to make up for it :-D:-D:-D

I am already in that boat. It started as a 45" patio model without the warmer to a 65" trailer model, extended warmer, cabinet doors....man can only push his luck so far. That cooker is big, but not big enough for me to sleep in.

KevinJ
04-21-2017, 02:33 PM
That cooker is big, but not big enough for me to sleep in.
If you crawl up into the fetal position I'll bet it is :-D :pound:

tonyjohnson619
04-21-2017, 05:27 PM
cooker might not be but the vehicle you will tow it with is:wink: