PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ necessary / unnecessary mods to my cooker

drallan81
04-18-2017, 05:15 PM
I'm just fishing for some ideas out there. I've got a pretty simple pig cooker pit made out of a 275 gal tank. I't is a no frills grill with a lid, single stack in the back (lid is leaning against), and volzgang doors on either end. The attached pic is the only one I have access to right now. I have 2 small upgrades that I would like to make to it, the key is I don't weld, and would prefer minimal drastic modification. As she works great as is, I'm just always looking for better.

Mod 1 - Find a way to incorporate auto-temp systems. I have an IQ120 that I use on my WSM and UDS and love it. My cooker holds temp pretty well, but I wouldn't mind the security of an ATC. Typically I cook pigs around 300 (depending on where grill settles) and it will hold for a good 4-6 hours, but I still worry and don't sleep as well. And for pigs that start @ O'dark 30 I'd like to get a few more hours of sleep before waking up to check on temps.

I've thought about just drilling holes in the sides by the door and putting in a port, but was hoping to find a "no new holes" solution until I was happy that an ATC would actually work. Thinking about snaking something through the pre-drilled 2" holes in the back where the original tank had them. But I would have to work the fresh air down to the fire level. Does anyone know of any hot temp safe flexible pipe/tubing? Kind of like electrical conduit, just not galvanized. Would aluminum hold up? Say food safe up to 600-700 deg?

Mod 2 - Lid lift assist. Again, no welding. But I'm looking for ideas on how to incorporate some sort of lid lift assist. The lid can get quite heavy, and isn't exactly the most stable when propped open. I've thought about lift-gate shocks on the sides, but wasn't sure how well they would hold up to the heat and if I'd get the geometry right. Also thought about some sort of pulley system.

Ideas?

PoppingSmoke
04-18-2017, 05:21 PM
As for the lid - pulley of some type on the smoke stack, cable attached to the lid with a counterweight?

drallan81
04-18-2017, 05:34 PM
Thanks, that is what I have been thinking. I'll have to take some better pics from the back when I get home. Fear is that the smoke stack is somewhat on the top, so I'd have to find a way to lever arm the weight over the back of the smoker. If I straight attach a pulley to the stack the weight will hang down and rest on grill/trailer. There is a wheel fender in the back right behind the stack.