PDA

View Full Version : Prime Rib for Easter

BrewPug
04-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Took my first shot at a rib roast for Sunday dinner. Kroger had it on sale for $5.99/lb. It started out at 6.5 pounds but ended up closer to 4 after trimming. Put it on a grill-mounted rotisserie at 225 and let the magic happen.

My wife hasn't eaten prime rib in 20 years (she's a recovering vegetarian), so no pressure or anything... She loved it. :thumb:

Thanks to the many threads on here with advice on how to cook it. Looking forward to a nice French dip for dinner tonight!

----------------------------------
Chuck

daninnewjersey
04-17-2017, 01:25 PM
Looks perfect....

Smoking Piney
04-17-2017, 01:32 PM
That's a nice looking roast. Well done! :thumb:

TedW
04-17-2017, 02:24 PM
My wife hasn't eaten prime rib in 20 years (she's a recovering vegetarian)

Hahahahahaha!

BillN
04-17-2017, 04:58 PM
Looks like you nailed it.:thumb:

mattmountz94
04-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Looks perfect....

Agreed

mchar69
04-17-2017, 05:05 PM
Very nice. Meathead's Horseradish sauce goes well with PR.

chargrill2369
04-17-2017, 06:07 PM
Ya that's a good cook. Tell us what you used for smoke and any rub on there? Will be doing one this summer for sure.

wihint
04-17-2017, 06:30 PM
That looks amazing.

BrewPug
04-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Ya that's a good cook. Tell us what you used for smoke and any rub on there? Will be doing one this summer for sure.

I used a little bit of red oak to put a light smoke on it.

I have a family member who can't eat onion or garlic (basically any "bulb" vegetable) and that includes the powdered or dehydrated versions. That requirement basically eliminates any commercially available product from anything I cook. I dare you to go to the grocery store and find a rub, marinade or sauce that doesn't contain onion, garlic or both. If you know of any, please tell me...

As a result, I always have to make my own rubs, whether for beef, chicken, pork or whatever. With that in mind, I salted the roast the day before the cook. Not heavy. I used Meatheads recommendation of 1/2 Tsp per pound. I put it back in the fridge and, the next day, I rubbed it with black pepper, a little paprika, thyme and rosemary. Pretty standard stuff (but I miss my garlic and onion). To give the crust a little more kick, I added some homemade ras el hanout -- just a very light amount, but it gives it a hint of moroccan flavor. Just something different. Works pretty well as long as you don't overdo it.

PoppingSmoke
04-18-2017, 04:58 PM
I used a little bit of red oak to put a light smoke on it.

I have a family member who can't eat onion or garlic (basically any "bulb" vegetable) and that includes the powdered or dehydrated versions. That requirement basically eliminates any commercially available product from anything I cook. I dare you to go to the grocery store and find a rub, marinade or sauce that doesn't contain onion, garlic or both. If you know of any, please tell me...

As a result, I always have to make my own rubs, whether for beef, chicken, pork or whatever. With that in mind, I salted the roast the day before the cook. Not heavy. I used Meatheads recommendation of 1/2 Tsp per pound. I put it back in the fridge and, the next day, I rubbed it with black pepper, a little paprika, thyme and rosemary. Pretty standard stuff (but I miss my garlic and onion). To give the crust a little more kick, I added some homemade ras el hanout -- just a very light amount, but it gives it a hint of moroccan flavor. Just something different. Works pretty well as long as you don't overdo it.

Sounds like great beef rub to me! How are they with chipotle? I like that little bit of Southwestern kick.

cowgirl
04-18-2017, 05:46 PM
Looks perfect!

Norm
04-18-2017, 06:20 PM
Great job on the PR!

lastmajordude
04-18-2017, 07:48 PM
"Oh YEAH bayyybee” Emeril Laggasse

North Is Up
04-18-2017, 08:34 PM
This may be too late, but are there any leftovers for another prime rib fan?

BrewPug
04-18-2017, 11:16 PM
Sounds like great beef rub to me! How are they with chipotle? I like that little bit of Southwestern kick.

Never tried one with chipotle, but I like your thinking!