PDA

View Full Version : Blessed with a new smoker

mattdean1003
03-27-2017, 09:38 PM
I have been down and out with the flu and sinus infection for about 5 days now, and today was my first day back at it full force. Yesterday, however, I was blessed with a new smoker, the Old Country Smokehouse vertical smoker. It was an early birthday gift from some people very close to me (My birthday is April 1st) and I love it, but have not used it yet because, well, flu.

I do need to season it, and we had it tarped off today because of rain, but I gave it a once over after I got home from work and there is some light surface rust forming on the hinges and some of that yellowish, wipes right off rust forming on some of the outer parts. It's going to be seasoned Wednesday evening, and my dad is going to go over it with me and try to tackle all the rust, and we're going to basically soak it in veg oil outside, spray with oil inside, and light a fire to burn it in. Will it be ok in the elements for another day and a half? My current Old Country is the Ranch Hand and while it has served me well, even with seasoning and repainting the firebox, it has rusted completely out on the door end and the firebox itself is wearing extremely thin. I want to do things absolutely perfect with this new one. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

BTW..the room in this smoker is unbelievable.

ShadowDriver
03-27-2017, 10:36 PM
Envious.

Yes. Hit that baby hard with some PAM (or some such), and light a fire in her for a while. I ran my Longhorn at 250F for a couple of hours, then cranked the heat up (as I messed around with additional wood options... so... to...speak) towards 325-350F before she went to bed.

I'll live vicariously through you and your OC Smokehouse and my OC Longhorn...

Keep the Pr0n flowing, brother.

SmittyJonz
03-27-2017, 10:36 PM
Oh Ya!!!!! I Hear they are Great Smokers........

just light sand the rust and paint it.....on a regular basis.......just like keeping the inside seasoned, oily......

SmittyJonz
03-27-2017, 10:47 PM
Peep at this......

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223711

mattdean1003
03-28-2017, 12:28 AM
Will do! It will be a few days before I can do it so hopefully another night or 2 outside won't hurt anything. I'm certainly going to miss using an offset, but it's still a stick burner. Any recommendations for covers? And, a way to get the ashes out? There is a lip at the bottom front of the ash pan that seems like it would trap the ashes in.

SmittyJonz
03-28-2017, 09:16 AM
I use a 6 inch putty knife to scrape ashes out/scoop them out. The firegrate should lift out.

I don't put any covers on Mine - they sit outside in the driveway

pjtexas1
03-28-2017, 09:43 AM
ash vacuum...i have this one and it can get the small stuff you can't really scrape out.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerSmith-PAVC101-Amp-Ash-Vacuum/dp/B0060EUA32/ref=sr_1_1/168-9199440-5674736?ie=UTF8&qid=1490712097&sr=8-1&keywords=hot+ash+vacuum

BillN
03-28-2017, 11:04 AM
Post some pics would love to see your new cooker. The guys at LSG recommend getting a large spray bottle add 50% water and 50% veg oil shake well and spray the exterior and wipe down this is supposed to keep the outside clean and the rust down. One of the benefits of living in Az. we don't see much rust.

Big George's BBQ
03-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Very Nice Congrats and Enjoy

BradsExon
03-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Very nice!

Forrest_F
03-28-2017, 12:30 PM
agreed....VERY NICE!!