PDA

View Full Version : Messed up the chicken on my OTG

Happy Hapgood
03-27-2017, 05:12 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/11l6k2h.jpg

1st attempt. The breasts were tuff and the leg quarters were gamie and under done. I temp checked with a therma pen and it all probed 165* or higher. Guess I 1) did not let it cook long enough, 2) did not check temp in the right places and 3) I think the foil may have messed up the heat flow around to bird.

I welcome any input anyone may have as to how I can improve because I sure want another crack at it.

Kept grill temp at 350* the whole time btw.

Thanks!

16Adams
03-27-2017, 05:20 PM
Chicken quarters to me are like a California homocide --187*

There's been quite a bit of discussion about young fast grown chicks their bones not setting up, red juices being ok as long as they temp etc. I just can't eat red chicken juice- it's a white meat not a pink juice meat. IMHO ymmv

Game aroma? Not sure about that one. If it doesn't fit- you must acquit

Happy Hapgood
03-27-2017, 05:24 PM

There's been quite a bit of discussion about young fast grown chicks their bones not setting up, red juices being ok as long as they temp etc. I just can't eat red chicken juice- it's a white meat not a pink juice meat. IMHO ymmv

Game aroma? Not sure about that one. If it doesn't fit- you must acquit

No it was fresh just not done. gamie may be the wrong word. And yes these were some big pieces.

Stlsportster
03-27-2017, 05:28 PM
I would say the foil was a problem too. I did bone in quarters 2 weeks ago and built the fire in the center (used the MasterTouch charcoal bins in a vortex like arrangement) and put the chix around the outside. Legs were easily in the 180s by the time the breast was in 165 range. Crisped up the skin direct over the center at the end.

Could have gone a bit longer but was tender and juicy. Bout an hour and 15 min total. Dome temp running about 350-400.

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah320/joel31/EAB87618-8B65-46AA-BCA1-A1531C5087D5_zpslillfgrs.jpg (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/joel31/media/EAB87618-8B65-46AA-BCA1-A1531C5087D5_zpslillfgrs.jpg.html)

Woody1911a1
03-27-2017, 05:29 PM
why do you have foil under it ?

Yellowhair42
03-27-2017, 05:30 PM
Ditch the foil.

Happy Hapgood
03-27-2017, 05:40 PM
why do you have foil under it ?

Was trying to keep the grease from dripping down into the pit. Won't do that again!

northeast bbqer
03-27-2017, 06:12 PM
Was trying to keep the grease from dripping down into the pit. Won't do that again!

If you have a 2 zone set up you could put a drip tray or foil underneath, no?

Happy Hapgood
03-27-2017, 06:15 PM
If you have a 2 zone set up you could put a drip tray or foil underneath, no?

So I'm seeing. This was only my 3rd cook on it. Brethren AClark44 gifted it to me. I had been using a gasser up to that point and a WSM for the goood stuff.

dwfisk
03-27-2017, 06:17 PM
Ditch the foil.

^^^ Yep, don't worry 'bout that chicken grease, it will go out with the ash. FWIW, it didn't look like it sucked! If I had to pick one thing I picked up from the Brethren as a newbie it would be to not overcook chicken; I never go above 165* in a breast or 175* in a thigh.

Fwismoker
03-27-2017, 06:17 PM
Yep not enough convection. Oh well you learned is what matters.

We gotta get you spinning Mike, it's amazingly good.

Happy Hapgood
03-27-2017, 06:32 PM
^^^ Yep, don't worry 'bout that chicken grease, it will go out with the ash. FWIW, it dispdn't look like it sucked! If I had to pick one thing I picked up from the Brethren as a newbie it would be to not overcook chicken; I never go above 165* in a breast or 175* in a thigh.

Indeed. I was probing for IT in all the wrong places.

It cooked better on top and middle but was lacking at the foil level. It sure did not look bad. I thought we had it!

http://i66.tinypic.com/2wqr9d3.jpg

ssv3
03-27-2017, 06:38 PM

:pound::spit:

c farmer
03-27-2017, 06:45 PM
I also take my chicken to 170 or over.

If you care.

PatAttack
03-27-2017, 06:52 PM
Mike, have you smoked chicken pieces like those on your WSM?

Like the guys comments after this, I cook mine to a higher temp.

Maybe a brine may be in order...?? I do this for the bigger pieces.

Fwismoker
03-27-2017, 06:55 PM
I also take my chicken to 170 or over.

If you care. Oh yea, my quarters are always over 190* or abouts there.

4ever3
03-27-2017, 06:59 PM
Here's my two cents...

Ditch the foil and put the quarters closest to the fire, like Keith, I take my quarters to 185°/190° and the breast is moist as all get out...

Chalk it up to live and learn...

c farmer
03-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Oh yea, my quarters are always over 190* or abouts there.

Mine was 195 today.

food4thot
03-27-2017, 07:07 PM
My first favorite chicken memory was giving up all I thought I knew about smoking chicken and running with advice from posters on this site. No more low & slow. No more water pan.

Got the WSM up to about 500 before I put these birds on. The temp kind of worked its way down to 400 after taking the lid off to put them on and again when I flipped them at 20-25 minutes. Used a mix of cherry and pecan. Took 70 minutes total.

http://i.imgur.com/u4a0ypl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EpK59rB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YpeuuEp.jpg

They were perfectly done. It was like chicken nirvana. Plenty moist and crispy skin.

Happy Hapgood
03-27-2017, 07:45 PM
My first favorite chicken memory was giving up all I thought I knew about smoking chicken and running with advice from posters on this site. No more low & slow. No more water pan.

Got the WSM up to about 500 before I put these birds on. The temp kind of worked its way down to 400 after taking the lid off to put them on and again when I flipped them at 20-25 minutes. Used a mix of cherry and pecan. Took 70 minutes total.

http://i.imgur.com/u4a0ypl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EpK59rB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YpeuuEp.jpg

They were perfectly done. It was like chicken nirvana. Plenty moist and crispy skin.

Very Nice indeed! I could do the WSM gig but trying to Master the OTG for smaller cooks.

I'm hearing a wide variance in doneness temps. I suspect that has something to do with length of time cooking and at what temp. I've heard everything from 165* to 190*. That's a pretty big swing.

I've been using The Big Easy Oil less turkey fryer for years for chicks and turkeys. I take whole birds to 172* in the deep breast and never had a problem. Done to perfection. Just trying to Master the OTG....and I will.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Stlsportster
03-27-2017, 07:49 PM
165 is the USDA recommended temp for doneness in poultry. Course they say 130 for beef but you take your brisket to 205 because that cut needs it. Same with chicken on the bone.

PatAttack
03-27-2017, 07:51 PM
I'd ditch the foil, cook a little hotter and go a little higher on the IT in the chicken.

Don't give up, Mike. You'll get her dialed in.

Happy Hapgood
03-27-2017, 08:09 PM
I'd ditch the foil, cook a little hotter and go a little higher on the IT in the chicken.

Don't give up, Mike. You'll get her dialed in.

Amen Brother! And I am going to get his gig down with a little help from The Brethren. :thumb:

Fwismoker
03-27-2017, 08:20 PM
Mike I hope you don't mind but you can do this on your kettle. The final product will leave you speechless how good it can be. I'm a believer in higher temps to really render the skin and the tendons etc... These things will just fall apart tender and dripping inside.

rotisserie chicken quarters: OctoForks™ fit most grills/smokers rotisserie spits - YouTube

Happy Hapgood
03-27-2017, 08:42 PM
Mike I hope you don't mind but you can do this on your kettle. The final product will leave you speechless how good it can be. I'm a believer in higher temps to really render the skin and the tendons etc... These things will just fall apart tender and dripping inside.

rotisserie chicken quarters: OctoForks™ fit most grills/smokers rotisserie spits - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWB5NgigbaM)

Those look Perfect! :thumb:

agensop
03-27-2017, 09:26 PM
dont worry about the grease dripping down it all washes out. if you are getting too much build up hose it out. if you really are that worried put a drip pan under the grate. only time i use foil if if its right over the coals and im trying to control flare ups but i poke holes in as to not kill airflow.

Happy Hapgood
03-27-2017, 09:32 PM
dont worry about the grease dripping down it all washes out. if you are getting too much build up hose it out. if you really are that worried put a drip pan under the grate. only time i use foil if if its right over the coals and im trying to control flare ups but i poke holes in as to not kill airflow.

I'm not worried about it, just learning it.

dadsr4
03-27-2017, 09:37 PM
Very Nice indeed! I could do the WSM gig but trying to Master the OTG for smaller cooks.

I'm hearing a wide variance in doneness temps. I suspect that has something to do with length of time cooking and at what temp. I've heard everything from 165* to 190*. That's a pretty big swing.

I've been using The Big Easy Oil less turkey fryer for years for chicks and turkeys. I take whole birds to 172* in the deep breast and never had a problem. Done to perfection. Just trying to Master the OTG....and I will.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Do the same on the kettle. You know what you like.

food4thot
03-27-2017, 09:37 PM

rotisserie chicken quarters: OctoForks™ fit most grills/smokers rotisserie spits - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWB5NgigbaM)Played with most ways to do poultry over fire. There's pretty much no substitute for a rotisserie to get it right.

http://i.imgur.com/bMMUU0K.jpg

AClarke44
03-27-2017, 09:47 PM
Mike, here's a pic of your grill cooking a spatchcock chicken :biggrin1:. I always went indirect with a foil pan on the coal grate. You could ditch the foil pan too but I dont like all that fat dripping in the ash catcher. I think your biggest issue was the foil on your grates. As far as temp goes I use 165-170° in the breasts. Usually the leg and thighs will be 185-200° when the breasts are done like others have mentioned. Cook anywhere between 325-350°....

The chicken isn't done yet in the pic but you'll get the idea....

THoey1963
03-27-2017, 09:52 PM
Sorry it didn't turn out, but the tops looked gorgeous. You'll get there.

food4thot
03-27-2017, 10:08 PM
Clarke. Please at least light a match under that bird.

:tape:

lastmajordude
03-27-2017, 10:49 PM
Down here the big chicken (whole or parts) IS NOT GOOD!!!!......I truly find my fav is around a 3 1/2 pound whole birds spatchcocked......foil goes underneath IF you want to....top of your chicken had wonderful color!..... I bet you nail it next time!!

El Ropo
03-28-2017, 05:56 AM
I take my dark meat to the mid 190s, and try to pull white meat when it hits 155-160.

Dark meat has a lot more fat, connective tissue, etc. When all of that renders, it provides plenty of moisture for the meat. White meat on the other hand is pretty lean, so I try to time it so the temp reaches 165 after the rest.

Chicken really is 2 completely different meats that I treat as such. This is the reason I don't cook full birds any more. I always part them out.

AClarke44
03-28-2017, 08:58 AM
Clarke. Please at least light a match under that bird.

:tape:

Not sure what that's supposed to mean but I can say that I've always made great tasting chicken on the Weber (including the grill I gave Mike which is in the picture). Great tasting chicken, I believe, is what Mike is looking for based on his OP.

He's been given a lot of good advice. I'm sure he'll have it nailed down quickly.

JS-TX
03-28-2017, 09:26 AM
Hard to say for sure, but I'm thinking some of these bigger birds just don't cook up so well. It's possible it just needed more time despite reading 165*. This "gamey" taste you speak of I get every now and then and it's just not very good IMO. Recently I've been trying to get some fresh/never frozen chicken. Even if a chicken is not frozen in the bin, it's possible it just finished thawing out. I've hit up Sprouts and Central Market for fresher birds. To me they have a cleaner taste, but could be coincidence. However these fresher birds are either 5+lbs or under 4. For comps, 4.5lb is good, but I've discovered they are rare around here. I cooked these up at a local comp this past weekend. ~3.8 lb, cooked on a 18 WSM, semi-direct. Brined and injected! 9th place :)

food4thot
03-28-2017, 10:12 AM
Not sure what that's supposed to mean but I can say that I've always made great tasting chicken on the Weber (including the grill I gave Mike which is in the picture). Great tasting chicken, I believe, is what Mike is looking for based on his OP.

He's been given a lot of good advice. I'm sure he'll have it nailed down quickly.Sorry for being facetiously vague. The fire in the angle of the pic looked kinda low.

AClarke44
03-28-2017, 10:25 AM
Sorry for being facetiously vague. The fire in the angle of the pic looked kinda low.

No problem. The pic doesn't show the fire well but it was running about 320° at the time. I like that temp for chicken until I get about 30 minutes from being done then I open the vents to ramp up the temp to 350-375 to help crisp up the skin a little.

Here's the same bird a little later in the cook that shows the fire a little better

kls44
03-28-2017, 02:04 PM
If cooking indirect, put catch pan on the coal grate under the chicken. If cooking direct, just let drip on the coals. Breast is done at 165, quarters need 190-200.
Have fun with your new toy!

dadsr4
03-28-2017, 03:55 PM
Since you are new:-D, go here for instruction.
http://www.weber.com/recipes

Happy Hapgood
03-28-2017, 05:54 PM
Got a brand new plan after all this Great input. Going to give it a try this weekend and hope to post a new thread...if it works.

Thanks again to everyone!

THoey1963
03-29-2017, 11:02 AM
Hard to say for sure, but I'm thinking some of these bigger birds just don't cook up so well. It's possible it just needed more time despite reading 165*. This "gamey" taste you speak of I get every now and then and it's just not very good IMO. Recently I've been trying to get some fresh/never frozen chicken. Even if a chicken is not frozen in the bin, it's possible it just finished thawing out. I've hit up Sprouts and Central Market for fresher birds. To me they have a cleaner taste, but could be coincidence. However these fresher birds are either 5+lbs or under 4. For comps, 4.5lb is good, but I've discovered they are rare around here. I cooked these up at a local comp this past weekend. ~3.8 lb, cooked on a 18 WSM, semi-direct. Brined and injected! 9th place :)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=141001&stc=1&d=1490710998

Great looking birds JS. I can never get my chicken to look that pretty. It usually tastes great, but doesn't look like something you'd take home to momma or introduce to your friends. Might be that I don't sauce...

JS-TX
03-29-2017, 11:27 AM
Thanks Terry, yes a nice glaze can polish up a bird! Cooking on a WSM at 325-350* prevents the skin from charring up here and there helps too :)

THoey1963
03-29-2017, 12:33 PM
Thanks and congrats on placing...

Happy Hapgood
03-29-2017, 05:14 PM
Does anyone flip their chicken pieces while cooking?

4ever3
03-29-2017, 05:23 PM
No Sir, I don't...

dadsr4
03-29-2017, 05:40 PM
Does anyone flip their chicken pieces while cooking?

I always cook them skin side up, so that the fat in the skin bastes the meat. You can always flip to skin side down over the coals to get a little char on the skin.
I was looking at you picture in the original post. Except that I always use a drip pan under the cooking grate, your setup matches how I've cooked chicken for decades, except I always cook the leg quarters closest to the coals, since they need to cook to a higher internal temp. That would account for your comment, "The breasts were tuff and the leg quarters were gamie and under done".
I don't know what you are taking the temps in the chicken with, but I test the thickest part of each piece that I can find.

Chitown_hillbilly
03-29-2017, 06:16 PM
If that's your biggest BBQ mistake, you'll be just fine! LOL