PDA

View Full Version : Kamado or weber

bbqmikey
03-24-2017, 08:34 AM
If I already have a 22" kettle and a wsm is a Kamado really worth investing in ?

SmokerKing
03-24-2017, 08:37 AM
Yes, if I had to decide on only one grill/smoker to own the rest of my life, it would be an XLarge ceramic Kamado of some type.

miked125
03-24-2017, 08:51 AM
If you live in a cold or area, then yes. I live in both and I never have to worry about the kamado. If you don't mayber the weber performer? I loved that grill.

Smoking Piney
03-24-2017, 08:51 AM
I have a 22" kettle and an XL BGE. Both are fine cookers, but if I had to choose just one, it would be the BGE.

To me, my BGE is much easier to control on long low and slows, and will hold enough lump to cook literally for almost an entire day. The downside - it's fragile and doesn't tolerate spills well, and it's fairly expensive.

I'm not slagging on the kettle, though. I've had mine a long time and have cooked some amazing food on it. In fact, I am refurbishing my kettle today to get it back in rotation. :-D

toymaster
03-24-2017, 08:53 AM
Only if you need high heat for steak, pizza etc I would recommend something like a Chargriller Akorn.

greenmountainsmoke
03-24-2017, 08:57 AM
Agreed on the Akorn. Easy to move, heats up fast, holds temps super long, and does (I assume) what the ceramics do without the triple cost. Perhaps a good entry point for you?

jimithing78
03-24-2017, 09:01 AM
If I already have a 22" kettle and a wsm is a Kamado really worth investing in ?

I was in this same position about 2 years ago. Had Weber everything - Genesis, Performer and 22.5 WSM. I bought an XL BGE and sold almost all the Weber's - the Performer is still hanging around for sentimental reasons but I haven't cooked on it in over a year.

The one thing I will say is that I wish the BGE had a gas assist for lighting the charcoal like the Performer. I've tried pretty much all the ways to light the BGE - starter cubes, oil on paper towel, MAP torch, etc. None of them are as easy as clicking a button on the propane starter. I think some of the other ceramic grills might have a propane starter but I went with BGE because of their dealer network. I know the company will be around in 20 years if I ever need something ceramic replaced under warranty.

WilliamD
03-24-2017, 09:16 AM
If you already have a Kettle, and the Bullet Smoker (WSM)....why not look into something totally different from the two for your arsenal? Like a cabinet water smoker.
With that being said, I like the Akorn; good price point for a Komado style and I also like BGE's, Kamado Joe's and Primos...but you can cook on your WSM and/or kettle what you can cook on them (Don't hate me everyone)!!! So maybe look into something that's totally different from what you already have. Just a thought!

GreenDrake
03-24-2017, 09:19 AM
Heck yes it is. Do it all, low to hellfire, ceramics are bulletproof cooking machines, just aren't too fun to haul to comps.

Cook
03-24-2017, 09:26 AM
If I had the money set aside...then yes I'd have one right along side my WSM and Weber grill.

PrimoXL...made in the USA.

bbqmikey
03-24-2017, 11:04 AM
I was even thinking maybe something like a Joe jr might be an option.. thanks for the replies.

BGWolf
03-24-2017, 12:26 PM
If you have the funds, absolutely. I love my XL BGE, Kamado Joe has made some very nice improvements to their latest versions.

wbzipf
03-24-2017, 12:48 PM
If you are considering a kamado, then certainly consider a Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. It is a Kamado, despite the lack of Weber advertising it as such.

4ever3
03-24-2017, 12:55 PM
If you are considering a kamado, then certainly consider a Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. It is a Kamado, despite the lack of Weber advertising it as such.

Exactly what I was going to say!

Mike A.
03-24-2017, 12:57 PM
I was even thinking maybe something like a Joe jr might be an option.. thanks for the replies.

If you're OK with the smaller size, your least expensive route to kamado cooking is the Akorn Junior (about $150). Absolutely a great cooker, big enough for a family of four. Since I picked one up last year, it's seen a lot more cooking time than anything else on the patio.

tenpenny_05
03-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Build an ugly drum smoker

lastmajordude
03-24-2017, 04:04 PM
I have both. While I do like the bubba keg, my best food comes from my weber. It is difficult to add wood while cooking on my keg, but it can get hotter. Hard for me to explain but I came BACK to my weber as my go to.

gtsum
03-26-2017, 06:03 PM
Kamado all the way, except for portability. I've been cooking on a primo oval xl for about 8 years now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro