PDA

View Full Version : Weber Charcoal Grill..

Herkster
03-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Alright, Brethren, my gasser finally gave up the ghost (give me a break, it was free:loco:).

My wife wants to spend a ton of money on an infared, and I want to get a charcoal weber to match my WSM. Anyone know of deals going on right now? 22" would be fine, 26" would be better because bigger is better, right?

THoey1963
03-20-2017, 03:28 PM
There usually aren't too many sales on Weber kettles, well, Weber anything for that matter. Only if you find a place trying to get rid of last years models. Your basic 22" kettle is $99:

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-741001-Original-22-Inch-Charcoal/dp/B00004RALU

A 26" Premium is $325:

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-16401001-Original-Premium-Charcoal/dp/B00N65AAW4/

A 22" Performer is nice if you want a table at $349:

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-15402001-Performer-Premium-Charcoal/dp/B00NL7E2TE/

Steve S
03-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Ive seen the 22's on craiglist for under $50. Myself, I would go for the 26, if you are going to spend a little money. Lots more room for cooking indirect.

Steve S
03-20-2017, 03:31 PM
I cant let go of the convenience of the gasser, especially in less than ideal weather, for those work day evenings. I have a small kettle for camping, but I very rarely use it at the house.

Yendor
03-20-2017, 04:00 PM
Craigslist for a used one. I was able to get one on the local FB swap and shop for $25, it is well worth it. I'd start looking for a used one, you have to do a lot of stupid things to ruin a Weber Kettle.

4ever3
03-20-2017, 04:26 PM
A ton of money you say?!?

And you want a Weber!?!

Only one answer Sir... Weber Ranch Kettle!!!

Your welcome...

food4thot
03-20-2017, 05:59 PM
There usually aren't too many sales on Weber kettles, well, Weber anything for that matter. Only if you find a place trying to get rid of last years models. Your basic 22" kettle is $99:

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-741001-Original-22-Inch-Charcoal/dp/B00004RALU

A 26" Premium is $325:

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-16401001-Original-Premium-Charcoal/dp/B00N65AAW4/

A 22" Performer is nice if you want a table at $349:

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-15402001-Performer-Premium-Charcoal/dp/B00NL7E2TE/If you go with the Performer get the one with gas assist. Use it with a charcoal chimney and lump charcoal and you'll be cooking in 10-12 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-15502001-Performer-Charcoal-22-Inch/dp/B00N634VD0/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1490050324&sr=1-2&keywords=weber+performer+with+gas

Make sure to get the rotisserie kit too

Pstores
03-20-2017, 09:33 PM
I cant let go of the convenience of the gasser, especially in less than ideal weather, for those work day evenings. I have a small kettle for camping, but I very rarely use it at the house.

Weber Charcoal Summit smokes a gasser.....Gas Light Ignition...... JMHO....

FreeDivr
03-20-2017, 10:02 PM
Gas was all I used for a long time...until this montley crew steered me in the right direction last year. Love my Weber 26", everything from burgers and chicken to low n slow ribs and brisket....mark my words though, they will have ya looking into drums, stick burners and pellet grills before you know it.

tenpenny_05
03-21-2017, 08:54 AM
I have one of those little weber q100 that I found in the trash 5 years ago. I honestly use it 3 or 4 times a week on average. It is the perfect size to cook for my family of 5.
I never see them get much love on here. But if you really need a gasser for convenience, I suggest checking them out!

fwdiii
03-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Not sure if new Weber kettles ever go on sale. Maybe on an old leftover model.

Steve S
03-21-2017, 09:30 AM
Weber Charcoal Summit smokes a gasser.....Gas Light Ignition...... JMHO....

I certainly respect your opinion. Since it is a natural gas model, and hooked into the house, it is as convenient as the stove in the house. Ready to cook in just a few minutes for chicken or pork, maybe 10 mins to get good and hot to sear a steak.

drallan81
03-21-2017, 10:29 AM
Another vote for Craigslist depending on how much time you have. I've scored numerous free 22" silvers/golds, a $30 22" platinum, a $300 Ranch, and $50 3-burner genesis all off CL. Especially as the weather starts to warm up and everyone gets itching for a new grill. Find a cheap kettle for the time being and just keep your eye out.

Also, id recommend the older style (knobs on the side) gasser. Both my parents and in-laws have the newer (front knob) style grills and the carts just don't seem to hold up as well. My mid 90s has no rust and I don't cover it, compared to their SS Fancy cabinets. The main box is good, but all the shelves and junk inside the cabinet has started to rust out. Kind of disappointing.

dadsr4
03-21-2017, 03:06 PM
Alright, Brethren, my gasser finally gave up the ghost (give me a break, it was free:loco:).

My wife wants to spend a ton of money on an infared, and I want to get a charcoal weber to match my WSM. Anyone know of deals going on right now? 22" would be fine, 26" would be better because bigger is better, right?

The kettle I use the most is around 38 years old, so even full price divided by 38 is cheap. Used is nice, though.

HankB
03-21-2017, 04:22 PM
I certainly respect your opinion. Since it is a natural gas model, and hooked into the house, it is as convenient as the stove in the house. Ready to cook in just a few minutes for chicken or pork, maybe 10 mins to get good and hot to sear a steak.
Are you thinking of the Summit gasser? The Charcoal Summit kettle uses a 1 lb propane cylinder to light charcoal. (I thought the Summit gasser came in propane and natural gas versions anyway.)

The Charcoal Summit certainly meets the "load of money" criteria starting at about $1500 USD. :shock:

I'd go with a 22" Kettle - easily found on Craigslist for cheap. New, I'd go for a Gold at ~$150. I really like my 26" kettle. Seldom seen on CL though. I paid $300 for mine but I see they've gone up. (Actually I didn't - I traded an older one with a guy who wanted an older one. ;) )

Edit: Get a Weber charcoal chimney (no substitutes!) too. And when looking on CL the 22" kettle has the lid vent in line with the handle. The 18" has it next to the handle.)

lantern
03-21-2017, 05:32 PM
Less than $500? Performer gets you gas assist and a table. I use it often and in conjunction with my WSM 22 to light my chimney.

More(way more) than $500? Weber Summit charcoal grill. All the ease of the performer plus kamado type smoking with similar fuel savings and massively long burn times.

Or.....if you want the ease of gas with the flavor of wood. PELLET GRILLS can scratch your itch.

Steve S
03-22-2017, 09:54 AM
Are you thinking of the Summit gasser? The Charcoal Summit kettle uses a 1 lb propane cylinder to light charcoal. (I thought the Summit gasser came in propane and natural gas versions anyway.)

The Charcoal Summit certainly meets the "load of money" criteria starting at about $1500 USD. :shock:

I'd go with a 22" Kettle - easily found on Craigslist for cheap. New, I'd go for a Gold at ~$150. I really like my 26" kettle. Seldom seen on CL though. I paid $300 for mine but I see they've gone up. (Actually I didn't - I traded an older one with a guy who wanted an older one. ;) )

Edit: Get a Weber charcoal chimney (no substitutes!) too. And when looking on CL the 22" kettle has the lid vent in line with the handle. The 18" has it next to the handle.)

I was referring to my Weber Genesis grill. Sorry for the confusion.

charrederhead
03-22-2017, 11:08 AM
I'd get a 26.75. If I could have only one grill, it would be that.

As an aside, the easiest way to start a chimney is with Weber starter cubes. $4/box of 24, and I cut them in half so it's really inexpensive.

Just BS
03-22-2017, 11:22 AM
Who are you Pharkers kidding??? If his wife wants an infra red gas grill, he's getting an infra red gas grill. Help him pick out a good one.

P.S., I'm sure you can still afford a $99 Weber Kettle...and you'll love it.

P.S.S., I have one of those infra red gas grills too. It cooks really nice but I seldom use it.

wihint
03-22-2017, 11:23 AM
When we moved from Lawrenceville GA to Phoenix I was already out here. My weber ranch was dirty and the movers would not put it on the truck with out my wife scrubbing it clean. She decided that they could just put it on the curb. I love my wife alot fortunately as I almost had a stroke when she told me that night over the phone. Look around the neighborhood while driving maybe someone else has my luck. I have found two weber 22s over the years in the trash out front!

Just BS
03-22-2017, 11:30 AM
Here ya go, make it happen!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3758224#post3758224

JeffJ
03-22-2017, 12:09 PM
If you can afford it, the Summit charcoal provides tremendous versatility.

Unfortunately, I do not have a Summit. I do however have a 22.5 Performer and the 26.75 kettle. Either one is an excellent choice. I highly recommend the Slow n Sear from Adrenaline BBQ Company. It's excellent for low/slow as well as 2-zone cooking (with an intensely hot sear zone).