PDA

View Full Version : Question About Maverick ET-733 Accuracy

ChrisBarb
02-27-2017, 08:56 AM
Just bought a Maverick ET-733. I am not sure if these readings are concerning or not. With the probes plugged in and reading the air temp, they are off from each other by 6 degrees. However, when both are placed into boiling water, one reads 212 degrees and the other reads 214 degrees, which seems more acceptable. So given they are going to see temps more in line with the boiling test, should I return or are these readings normal? Thanks!

Stlsportster
02-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Mine consistently read the exact same when placed next to each other.

SmittyJonz
02-27-2017, 09:21 AM
They are usually more accurate in their target temp range 200-350* but they are not precise.

kwas68
02-27-2017, 09:30 AM
I had a similar problem but they were off in the boiling and ice water too. It wasn't the probes, it was the unit itself. If I switched the channels on the probes, it made virtually no difference (Channel A was still higher than Channel B). I complained and returned the unit for a replacement. The replacement is better.

I don't think I would buy one of these again for two reasons. First, the quality is suspect. Secondly, I really don't use for BBQ as much anymore as I typically go by feel and have more confidence in my timelines. I only use a thermo on grilled stuff where the Thermapen is a much better option.

JRDINCC
02-27-2017, 10:30 AM
I find mine off by quite a bit every once in awhile. I clean the ports & ja ks with contact cleaner. Brings them back to a few degrees difference .

ChrisBarb
02-27-2017, 02:50 PM
They are usually more accurate in their target temp range 200-350* but they are not precise.That seems to be what is going on here. I guess it is in tolerance. :ohwell: