PDA

View Full Version : Air Fryer?

MrMike
02-24-2017, 12:15 PM
I normally wouldn't give this the time of day - anything that has an info-mercial isn't worth the time. It looks like high powered convection oven but with a bit of oil. A close friend who's a good cook got turned onto it by her mother (who she says is a much better cook than her). And now she started on me - when I looked and read that the thing can grill and broil, I took notice. I'd love to replace my regular deep fryer with this -
has anybody here used one of these things or know anybody who has?

Mike

sbramm
02-24-2017, 12:45 PM
buddy of mine got into the beer one friday and bought one off amazon. used it a few times to reheat food and then tried to actually "fry" something. didn't work well. gathers dust now. says it's a tiny little convection oven and nothing more.

YMMV

ClaytonSmoke
02-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Sorry this is my first post, but had to chime in. We purchased one a few years ago hoping that it would be a healthier alternative to deep frying. Unfortunately it comes nowhere close to tasting like deep fried food. A miniature convection oven is exactly what it is, then you coat whatever you are cooking with oil and cook. If you are looking for a miniature convection oven, I guess it would work, but not as a deep fryer.

Jason TQ
02-24-2017, 01:08 PM
I see them on QVC all the time. I certainly would like to play with one, but not for us in terms of actually buying. The niche seems like folks that cook in smaller batches not wanting to fire up the oven and you can easily get it off the counter unlike some mid to larger toaster ovens (which they also have convection ones of those now too).

Looks like it heats up things just fine, but there just no way it tastes like fried food. Would be good in a camper probably.

Jrogers84
02-24-2017, 01:10 PM
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/char-broil-the-big-easy-reg-oil-less-turkey-fryer/3258232?skuId=17424459&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_outdoorutility_&product_id=17424459&adpos=1o3&creative=144120241146&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQiA0L_FBRDMmaCTw5nxm-ABEiQABn-VqemcDcyZRfz2eZrZJnYox3iIDDBRzJIzbu0QOse7meQaAtiO8 P8HAQ

Although I do not have one I believe this is well loved around here. Should be an appreciation thread if you do a search

Yendor
02-24-2017, 01:21 PM
One of my employees brings his in every day (don't know the brand off hand and he's not in today) and I've watched him cut fries and made them in that thing with a tablespoon of oil. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I was surprised. He often makes bacon, hash brown patties and frozen french toast sticks for the group in that thing and it all turns out great.

They are just convection ovens though.

Mrfish
02-24-2017, 01:26 PM
I just did some testing with one this week. Daughter received two as gifts and asked me to sell one on craigslist. So, I wanted to play around with it and experiment first.

Each test I did two batches of everything, one in the air fryer and one in my home range convection oven. (GE Profile)

In almost every case with the exception of frozen french fries the the home range cooked more evenly. Searing of meat and rendering of fat seemed better in home range. Wings where a coin toss.

However, chicken thighs and legs smoked very bad in home range.(had to open windows and doors) at 425, and no noticeable smoke with the air fryer. Both had crispy skin.

Bottom line, it works. Wife hated it because she thinks I have too many gadgets and this does take a lot of room and comes in at a hefty 16lbs.

I have learned to pick my battles, put it on craigs list and it sold in an hour.

FTTH
02-24-2017, 01:55 PM
It's not the same as deep frying, but if spray olive oil on the food it will get closer. Check out Booger500us on YouTube. She's got quite a few videos on air fryer recipes.

Dauvis
02-24-2017, 02:11 PM
I have one and I like it (Black and Decker model). That said, it is nothing like a deep fryer. It really is just a miniature convection oven.

USMC
02-24-2017, 02:29 PM
I love ours. I never get the Fry Daddy out for frozen fries or onion rings any more. I just toss them in the air fryer and in a few minutes I have golden fries that taste great. Haven't tried fresh cut fries in it yet though. Are they as good as fries cooked in oil? Not quite, but the difference is minimal. The slight difference is worth the health factor since I eat a lot of fries. Also cuts out having to deal with the oil and that alone makes it worth it to me. I have also done buffalo wings in it on work nights when I didn't have time to grill and they turned out great. I was skeptical when my wife brought it home, but I'm definitely glad she did. Oh and I can drink more non light beer now since my fries are healthier! Win win!!!

jasonjax
02-24-2017, 02:36 PM
So from what I'm reading: if I turned my home oven on to convection broil I'd get a similar result?

Mrfish
02-24-2017, 02:45 PM
So from what I'm reading: if I turned my home oven on to convection broil I'd get a similar result?

Exactly IMHO :wink:

IamMadMan
02-24-2017, 02:48 PM
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/char-broil-the-big-easy-reg-oil-less-turkey-fryer/3258232?skuId=17424459&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_outdoorutility_&product_id=17424459&adpos=1o3&creative=144120241146&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQiA0L_FBRDMmaCTw5nxm-ABEiQABn-VqemcDcyZRfz2eZrZJnYox3iIDDBRzJIzbu0QOse7meQaAtiO8 P8HAQ

Although I do not have one I believe this is well loved around here. Should be an appreciation thread if you do a search

Yes, this listed above is an infrared cooker and works great on all types of poultry and large pieces of meat. I think it was Smoke Ninja who has done some non-conventional cooking on his.... At least I think it was him.

GLOCKer
02-24-2017, 02:50 PM
My wife got me one for my birthday in January and I LOVE IT!

No, its not exactly like fried, but it's pretty close. Things like frozen French fries come out awesome with the airfryer. So far I've done pizza bites, mozzarella sticks, eggrolls, chicken strips, popcorn chicken, French fries, tater tots, and waffle fries in our airfryer and it's all come out good. Its not gourmet good, but week-night dinner good. Plus the food cooks faster in the air fryer than the oven.

pjtexas1
02-24-2017, 04:50 PM
My wife loves hers. Uses it all the time. Really convenient for the 2 of us and the small meals we eat.

Happy Hapgood
02-24-2017, 05:12 PM

Indeed. Here's the thread. You can get one much cheaper at Lowes or HD.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200865

USMC
02-24-2017, 06:27 PM

I've tried fries and wings in my oven on convection and didn't get the same results as the air fryer. It might be the smaller area being heated and air circulated faster makes for a faster better result. I don't know how exactly it works better, but it just does for me. I haven't tried anything that I would usually bread up in flour and cook in oil, but I'm itching to try it soon. I'm guessing something similar to kettle fried chicken could be done in an air fryer.

USMC
02-24-2017, 09:05 PM

This is mine. I've got some seasoned curly fries in it right now.

cheez59
02-25-2017, 06:22 AM
One of my Cajun buddies in Louisiana has one and loves it. He says fish and fries are real close to the quality he gets from his deep fryer. I haven't tried any food from one but this guy cooks a lot and usually knows what he is talking about.

jasonjax
02-25-2017, 07:26 AM
Indeed. Here's the thread. You can get one much cheaper at Lowes or HD.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200865

Ever cook just turkey breasts in this thing?

GLOCKer
02-25-2017, 11:21 AM
This is the air fryer my wife got me for my b-day. It has a LARGE 5.8 qt capacity.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EXP92BA/ref=twister_B01EYWDKMY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

We don't fill it up more than half way and we shake the contents often to get a nice even crispiness. I can't tell you enough how happy I am with it and how often we use it!

MrMike
02-26-2017, 04:42 PM
I thank you all for your contributions. I knew this was the right place to post this. I know nothing is going to replace a real deep fryer. I just hate dragging mine out for the occasional use, going through a gallon of oil for one or two uses, then having the clean the thing. But if I can get a somewhat reasonable facsimile that I can do other things in...I figured it's worth a shot. My friend says her kids do the raw fries and they're happy as hell.
So I'll do some potato testing tonight, and try a marinated chicken breast tomorrow...

lantern
02-26-2017, 05:13 PM
Here's the deal. I have a Phillips air fryer.

Why?

Because I don't have a convection oven, the deep fryer makes a helluva mess and I love tater tots and chicken wings on a MUCH more frequent basis than most any other normal human being.:biggrin1::biggrin1:

KORND4WG X
02-26-2017, 05:46 PM
I've had one of those nu wave type convection ovens for years. It's great for reheating pizza, warming a pie for dessert while we're eating dinner and the occasional fish stick :thumb:

I've also been known to start a small pork butt or pork belly in the Joe Jr, then foil and finish it in this little guy at 250-300. Turns out great :grin: