PDA

View Full Version : PartyQ In The Rain

BigTerp
02-23-2017, 07:35 AM
Have a few slabs of baby backs to cook on my UDS Saturday and of course it's calling for showers and thunderstorms all day. What can I do to protect my PartyQ from the rain? Does just the control box need to be kept dry, or also the fan assembly? I'm thinking I can just put a large ziploc bag over the control box to keep it dry, but not sure what to do about the fan if it also needs to be kept dry. I'd use my ezy up and call it good, but it's going to be pretty windy as well so that could end up in a disaster. Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

HOBONICHOLBBQ
02-23-2017, 09:19 AM
My understanding is that as long as the logo on the fan is placed up you should be ok. That said, sometimes I use a small table like you would use if eating dinner on the couch and put a garbage bag over it upside down. It blocks the rain but still allows air to be drawn in.

BigTerp
02-23-2017, 09:28 AM
My understanding is that as long as the logo on the fan is placed up you should be ok. That said, sometimes I use a small table like you would use if eating dinner on the couch and put a garbage bag over it upside down. It blocks the rain but still allows air to be drawn in.

Great idea. Thanks!!

I have the "newer" PartyQ, not sure if that's what you have or not? The one with the control box separated from the fan with a flexible hose. On this model I'm assuming the control box definitely needs to be kept dry? Sounds like the fan might be OK to get wet. Either way, I'm sure I'll over engineer something to help keep things dry.

rus_bro
02-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Get a pop up tent to cover it. A great add to my entire bbq setup.

rb

BigTerp
02-23-2017, 10:54 AM
Get a pop up tent to cover it. A great add to my entire bbq setup.

rb

I have one and am considering using it, but we are supposed to have 20+ mph winds as well. Afraid it might tear up my ezy up. Might just run my UDS without the PartyQ to be safe. Don't want to destroy my ezy up with the wind or ruin the PartyQ with the rain.

jimstocks53
02-23-2017, 11:34 AM
Nowadays I just open up a patio umbrella over my whole operation but I have used a small sandwich bag over the electronics to keep it dry.

HOBONICHOLBBQ
02-23-2017, 11:44 AM
Great idea. Thanks!!

I have the "newer" PartyQ, not sure if that's what you have or not? The one with the control box separated from the fan with a flexible hose. On this model I'm assuming the control box definitely needs to be kept dry? Sounds like the fan might be OK to get wet. Either way, I'm sure I'll over engineer something to help keep things dry.

I have the PiggyQ (cyberq) and a pit viper fan. I just put the PiggyQ in a gallon ziplock back and close the bag minus where the wires run out.

jstokes3
02-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Just bought a small plastic case with a latched cover at Walmart for less than $3. I plan on drilling a hole in the bottom to run any cords including an extension if needed.

jmellor
02-23-2017, 12:43 PM
I have used tin foil for a small "roof" that works well. Have also taken a plastic storage container and used as a lean to...with a rock to keep it in place.

BigTerp
02-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all the ideas. I'll get it sorted out.

rus_bro
02-23-2017, 02:33 PM
I have one and am considering using it, but we are supposed to have 20+ mph winds as well. Afraid it might tear up my ezy up. Might just run my UDS without the PartyQ to be safe. Don't want to destroy my ezy up with the wind or ruin the PartyQ with the rain.

I figure its the reason i have the popup. If i cant use my tent for a rainy day BBQ, then i have no reason to have it. Tie that thing down tightly and go for it.. :)

rb

jstokes3
02-24-2017, 08:07 AM
It is the Sterilite 1713. Dropped all components of my Auber unit into it this morning. Works great.

https://us-i5.tb.wal.co/asr/13642deb-3ae6-4419-b147-0def0d25cebb_1.8c136f8441028a1825e9cebbffb9024c.jp eg?odnWidth=1010&odnHeight=1010&odnBg=ffffff

THoey1963
02-24-2017, 01:22 PM
Probably too late for this weekend, but for the future:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3114290&postcount=6