PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Question re Cleaning an SFB

cueball21
02-17-2017, 12:36 PM
Yesterday was the maiden run on my Brazos - with food being smoked. I had wiped it out then wiped it down inside and out with vegetable oil and burned a couple of seasoning runs before actually cooking anything. After getting a quarter cord of post oak earlier in the week, I lit a bed of charcoal with a weed burner then spread it a bit and put a couple sticks on it. I sat back and watched as temps came up. Temp stabilized at about 260° with the 2 sticks burning good. While Brazos Bob was heating up, I trimmed washed and rubbed a STL ribs cryo-pac.

Although I managed to let the heat drop below 200° because I had to go to a medical appointment that took longer than I thought, the fire did no go out and I was able to get it back up above 225° with another couple sticks. I made notes and will do better with fire control in the future, but I am not at all disappointed because the ribs came out great even though I cooked them longer than I usually would. I didn't foil or even open the CC door until I thought they would be done. While perfection is never achievable, these came far closer than a rookie on a stick burner had any right to expect.

This AM I went out and cleaned the smoker which leads to the reason for this post. There was a pile of wood ash maybe 5" deep in the bottom of the fire box, appropriate to the 8 or so sticks I burned. There was one piece of charcoaled stick and one 3" end of a stick that never burned, but everything else turned to a fine, powdery ash.

I swept all that out into my ash bin then did my best to scrape down to metal and get all the alkaline ash out. When I had gotten as much as I could with the brush, I switched to blue shop paper towels. When I could get no more, I poured about half a coup of vegetable oil down the back side and wiped the entire interior down in the oil using another shop paper towel being sure to get every inch of surface area including underneath the firebox lid.

After dealing with the firebox, I moved to the cooking chamber. I had cooked the ribs on the upper shelf; so it had the residue from my rub that includes brown sugar. I scraped that rack top and bottom with a grill scraper then brushed it with the steel bristles. It kept a good coat of oil so I didn't add any more. I'll check and maybe spread some the next time I cook. I went over the main rack in the same way but with less residue. It, too, needed no oiling.

I had used the firebox bottom for a tuning plate; so I had to clean it too. It had right much residue but scraping and brushing got it respectable again. It had dried out a bit; so I rubbed it good with veggie oil. I finished by scraping the sides and bottom then wiping out the residue. After getting as much as I could out, I poured veggie oil along the back of the CC and used the blue paper towels to spread it all over the interior including the underside of the baffle plate and the underside of the lid. When I put the tuning plate and racks back in place, it looked ready for the next food to be placed on the racks. I finished by wiping down the shelf then dropping it out of the way. I used a little veg oil but not as thickly as I did the firebox and CC.

I think I'll probably do this after the next few smokes just to be sure I get a good seasoning on the innards. My questions are 1) Do you have suggestions for improving the way I cleaned it? and 2) Do you think I went too far with the process? and 3) When can I relax the cleaning protocol a bit? and 4) Is there a time when I should stop doing more than just wiping the insides down?

Thanks for listening. Look for to your advice.

THoey1963
02-17-2017, 02:59 PM
All that and no pics of the ribs? :mrgreen:

Everyone does it differently. I have a buddy that does a burn off, brushes the grates, and starts cooking. He has a grease bucket and empties it when needed. That's it. Some, like you did this time, bring it back to showroom quality after every cook. me, I am some where in the middle.

cueball21
02-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Thanks, Terry!

I suspect that I will wind up doing far less than I've done to date. I just want to be as careful as I can about rust and about what alkaline wood ash can do the the firebox.

mbt
02-17-2017, 05:52 PM
I don't know if it works also for your type of BBQ but recently I discovered a homemade receipe that really helps cleaning my Weber devices
this is the link were I found it
http://bbq4all.it/malebranche/2017/02/07/pulire-la-griglia-il-detergente-definitivo/

translating only the recipe, it says:

One Cup of ethylic Alcool (do not use the one that is used for cleaning, that's poison)
one tablespoon of pure sodium percarbonate
half tablespoon of soap for clean dishes
water, the necessary quantity to fill a bottle with sprinkler
a bottle with sprinkler (of course)
a carafe or something similar

Due to the fact that percarbonate is slightly soluble in water, you have to melt it in water in the caraffe and wait. A minor quantity will be unmelted and settled on the bottom.
Now you will pick only the liquid, without the settled powder.
Pour the cup of alcool in the bottle with sprinkler, then the soap and finally water with percarbonate.
Add if necessary water to fullfill the bottle and shake

I tried a couple of times and works good for me

Joe Black
02-17-2017, 08:21 PM
After your original seasoning, you should be able to cook several months before the cleaning protocol that you did. I will do that at the first of spring and 1/2 way through summer. After each cook, I empty the ashes from the FB and brush it down with a stiff brush. Before the next cook, while the cooker is heating up, I brush the grates good and spray out the CC with a water spray from the hose. Reseasoning should not be necessary.

This is all for the CC. The FB does not need any seasoning. Just keep the ashes out after each cook.

This method works really well for me.

pjtexas1
02-17-2017, 08:54 PM
Awesome cleaning job. That's way more than I have ever done. I use an ash vac on the fb and scrape the bottom of the cc when it gets too thick. I will spray the inside of the fb with pam every now and then.

BillN
02-17-2017, 11:31 PM
You did fine, do what makes you happy and have time for. IMO the firebox is the most important to get the ash out. As far as the CC a wire brush of the grates and a scraping ( I use a 6 inch plastic putty knife) is usually enough. The CC will re-season itself with each cook.

cueball21
02-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Thanks, guys!!

I realize I'm being a bit anal about maintaining it but there's a reason. My son-in-law and daughter gave it to me for Christmas. He and I are both near fanatics about keeping our stuff in good fettle. I'll probably ease up on the CC and spend most of my efforts on the FB in future. I just don't like the idea of alkali meeting rain water.

Thanks, again!!

cueball21
02-19-2017, 12:15 PM
All that and no pics of the ribs? :mrgreen:

Everyone does it differently. I have a buddy that does a burn off, brushes the grates, and starts cooking. He has a grease bucket and empties it when needed. That's it. Some, like you did this time, bring it back to showroom quality after every cook. me, I am some where in the middle.

Here you go, Terry! I didn't take pics until it was on the plate.

THoey1963
02-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Ribs look good, nice smoke ring. They seem, a little black (not meaning burned) on the outside. A lot of sugar in the rub?

cueball21
02-20-2017, 04:46 PM
Yes, the rub has brown sugar in it. It is Jeff's Rub from the Smoking Meats Forum. I use it on ribs and boston butt. I use SPOG on brisket.