PDA

View Full Version : Probe questions from a new guy

hdrolling
02-13-2017, 07:44 AM
So when I bought my Maverick et-733 I tested the two probes with a third probe using my old 'backyard grill' thermometer and my thermopen.

All four were right on.

Normally when I do an overnight smoke I use one probe on the rack and one in the meat. The one on the rack gets really discolored from being on the rack and it's been impossible to keep that probe clean.

Now I checked all four last night and the discolored probe I leave on the rack is off about 30. Is this normal? My probe on the smoker lid must be way more covered in crud but it still reads close to the to the temp I set it at when I first adjusted it. When I first start the smoker to get the temps set I leave both maverick probes on the rack until the desired temp is acquired, that's when I notice one probe was off and decided to test them all.

Now to my questions

1)Cleaning the probes, I've been reading a lot using the search and it seem most get the probes clean with wipes. The one I leave on the rack is getting clean just by wiping, can I use soap and water and a scrub pad? I'm wondering also since it's not reading correct if it's done with and I just need to replace?

2) extra probes, do most keep spares on hand and can anyone recommend a good reliable spare. I see the vender's have them but they have a few to choose from. From my searching it looks like the 6' style is preferred to the 3'?

3) probe lifespan, whats the norm. 2-3 months to a year? Longer? What are most getting out of their probe before replacing them, should I be getting 2-3 years out of a probe?

4) sealing the probe with rtv or shrink wrap, is this necessary? I read a few old post were members sealed their probes themselves. Is that still done or was that prior to the waterproof probes?

I'm still learning and probes didn't come up and very many newer posts, so Ive been reading posts from 2014.

WHS88
02-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Can only speak for myself, but I always clean my probes with soap, water and a scub pad. I'm just careful not to get water where the probe meets the wire. So far I haven't had any issues. My unit is just over two years old and been through lots of cooks on both my smokers and my Weber Kettle.

EricD
02-13-2017, 02:48 PM
Sorry, I got nothing to add, but am watching this thread as I'm curious about the responses myself.
I've had my Maverick for about a year, no problems. My Grill probe is black from cooks too, I wipe it down after each cook but never bothered to scrub the black off. Didn't even consider that it might throw off the temp. The Meat probe gets soap and water after every cook.

THoey1963
02-13-2017, 03:13 PM
I've had the ET-732 for going on 3 years. It still works fine, even though the back is a little warped due to getting too hot once. About two years ago, I ordered new probes, only because they had the 6' cables instead of the 3'. All four probes still work fine, but then again, I am not so much a stickler for exact temperature. I wipe them off with a green scrubby after every cook, but have taken steel wool to them if they are really dirty. I have not done the silicon, but I am also careful not to let them get too wet.

KevinJ
02-13-2017, 03:20 PM
I've had my Maverick 732 for close to 4 years if not longer and I haven't replaced a probe yet. (knock on wood)

I clean the probes (both grate and meat) with a grill brush or wadded foil when cleaning the grates after a cook then wipe them down with a paper towel and store them in a plastic bag. I let the meat probe heat up during the next cook with the grill or smoker so it is nice and sanitized before it's used checking meat temps.

The only thing I've ever had todo is change batteries.

When it finally dies I'll probably upgrade to a ThermoWorks Smoke but the old Mav has served me well.

hdrolling
02-14-2017, 07:45 AM
I've had the ET-732 for going on 3 years. It still works fine, even though the back is a little warped due to getting too hot once. About two years ago, I ordered new probes, only because they had the 6' cables instead of the 3'. All four probes still work fine, but then again, I am not so much a stickler for exact temperature. I wipe them off with a green scrubby after every cook, but have taken steel wool to them if they are really dirty. I have not done the silicon, but I am also careful not to let them get too wet.

So whats the perk of a 6' probe, is that more a plus for the trailer size smokers? Is there a particular brand probe you went with?

WHS88
02-14-2017, 05:03 PM
So whats the perk of a 6' probe, is that more a plus for the trailer size smokers? Is there a particular brand probe you went with?

Not answering for someone else, but yes longer probe wires are helpful in larger smokers. Short ones work fine in my drum, but can be challenging in the battle box.

THoey1963
02-14-2017, 05:06 PM
Even when I had my WSM, just easier to move things around with a longer cable length. Now that I have the cabinet, it's needed.

I can't remember where I went through to buy them. There's someone on the sales and ventures side that sometimes has specials, but I might have just got them from Maverick or Amazon.

Beekeep
02-14-2017, 06:26 PM
I clean my probes after each cook with dish soap and water and scrub with a green scotch-brite pad making sure not to get much water on the cable joint. Still using the original probes going on 3 years.