PDA

View Full Version : Is stainless steel for Humphrey's worth it?

Seed
02-09-2017, 02:29 AM
I'm thinking of ordering my second Humphrey's and making changes that I wish I had done on my DEB. The one issue I had with the DEB was rust where the gasket meets the paint and bubbling and peeling. It annoyed the crap out of me. In the build Humphrey's mentions I can upgrade to stainless for $700 and avoid rust. So that then tells me these are pretty much certain to rust as that's how they advertise the stainless upgrade. My question then is, is it worth it or do I just get the standard and just maintain it if it gets funky.

Gonna go for a pint this time on legs and casters. Don't need the DEB size.

pjtexas1
02-09-2017, 06:12 AM
That part sounds like you could just keep it seasoned to stop the rust. I would worry more about what's happening between the walls that you can't see.

IamMadMan
02-09-2017, 06:52 AM
Find a smoker without a little rust somewhere and you'll see a smoke that doesn't get used on a regular basis... LOL

GreenDrake
02-09-2017, 08:41 AM
I'd be hard pressed to justify full stainless, and my Pint holds up fine, but the door frame seal area has to be food grade paint, from what Chad told me. So I keep a little touch up paint on hand with sealer to ensure I am on it if there are any areas starting up in that zone. I am pretty meticulous about maintaining my Pint, and am going to do a full re season here when the snow melts, just because it's quite an investment and I want it to last a long long time.

Big George's BBQ
02-09-2017, 08:58 AM
I am with a team that has stainless in their Meadow Creek cabinet smoker It is really nice and makes it much easier to clean so if you can swing it go for it

Untraceable
02-09-2017, 09:30 AM
If there has ever been a cooker that needs SS, its a Humphreys water cooker. Id go full SS if the budget allows, but I do she they have a new package that puts SS in all the areas that need it. Id def go for it. Stainless Face Plate and stainless top.

legendaryhog
02-09-2017, 10:29 AM
I think the rust is what is holding together a couple of my cookers. :-P